Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The non dog food, dog food diet? Vets advice

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by 1iam5mith, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith Active Member

Ratings:
    +682
    I have decided my Border Collie deserved better than the Deformed, Diseased, disabled and dead meat that goes into traditional dog food

So after doing some research, I found that 2 parts meat, 1 parts veg and 1 parts grains (Brown rice, rolled oats etc....) and a cod liver oil/flax seed oil capsule is the perfect menu for a dog

what would you all say?
    any vets like to tell me if there is any supplements I would have to give her so she doesn't get a deficiency?
    Thanks in advance

PS: can a mod please change title from "The non dog food, god food diet? Vets advice" to "The non dog food, dog food diet? Vets advice"
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. PmSonic

PmSonic Member

Albums:
    Ratings:
    +148
    Why not avoid the cheap, nasty dog food and go for the decent stuff. Do a little research and youll find there is good food (dry mainly) out there.

With all the faff of preparing meals im sure glad i just buy the good stuff
  3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,418
    I just feed mine wag complete dry food. Cheap as chips and they're both perfectly healthy.

They're dogs, they don't really care how good it tastes.
  4. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I feed my old Newfie on quite a bit of raw meat, plus dry food.

I change his dry food often as unlike any dog I've had before he gets bored of the same old dry food. I've also found that I can dish his food out and he only eats when he wants to eat the dry stuff but when it comes to raw meat he loves it.
    It's far to expensive to feed him pure raw meat and veg as it works out about £10 a day but I tend to mix some up with the dry food which he likes and it works out cheaper.

He loves Tuna and Salmon but he's not keen on duck.

Don't read to much into food, many dogs eat what some class as cheap dog food yet live to a good age. My last retriever lived to one day short of his 16th birthday and he was feed on chappie.

My old boy is 8 1/2 which is senior in the Newfie world as many have short lives compared to the smaller breeds. He has the usual problems that Newfies suffer with and has been ill free for the best part of his life. I can't say it's down to food but with Newfies it's more to do with breeding and a good slice of luck.
  5. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +661
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. The in-laws' dog knows when it's Sunday (they have a roast pretty much all the time), so sits patiently at the dinner table waiting for the carver to 'accidentally' drop some meat. This is depsite having a recently filled food bowl.

Certainly with our cats, if we give them own brand food they will persistently avoid eating it (for days). Even sniffing it, turning around to us and demanding an answer for our actions.
  6. BB3Lions

BB3Lions Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,397
    Some pets eat better than most humans..
  7. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +661
    I wouldn't go that far. Pets at Home own brand cat food is £2.65 per 12 100g pouches. It absolutely stinks and we end up throwing half the meat away as they only like the gravy! Wiskers Casseroles is most of the time 2 boxes of 12 100g pouches for £6 so not even £1 difference. They hardly ever leave a speck on their plate and you don't even know it's there smell wise.

Their favorite is the Gourmet brand (literally gone in less than 5 seconds), but it's £6 per 12 85g pouches, so double the Wiskers Casseroles one. We only get it when it's 3 for 2 of 2 for £8.
  8. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,418
    They're certainly not stupid, they won't eat dry dog food if there's a fresh roast in the offing.

That's just a natural reaction though, I'd rather have the good stuff too. I suppose my point is that dog (and most pet) owners are being well, a bit silly about feeding their pet.

I don't see the point in spending around 10 times more than I do now when it doesn't make the animal any healthier, love me more or in fact have any benefit what so ever except to make the owner feel better about themselves.

I'm sure my dogs would prefer a nice rare steak each meal but will have to make do with the nice cheap wag dry dog food instead. There's no way on earth I'd ever buy meat for them, it's a luxury for the rest of the family to eat meat other than chicken or minced beef so the idea of giving it to my dogs is frankly ludicrous.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. BB3Lions

BB3Lions Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,397
    My Nana used to freshly cook a whole chicken & feed her toy poodle chicken, veg & bisto everyday.

On Sundays she cooked either salmon or steak.

Crazy.
  10. TheAdmiralCS

TheAdmiralCS Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Wagg for my 2 dogs too. They get treats now and again of any meat that doesn't get eaten/fatty offcuts and I sometimes get bones for them from the butchers, but they're happy enough. They do like yorkshire puddings though, so always make a few extra for them on a sunday if we have them.
  11. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,569
    My staffie has lived on a diet of 200g raw tripe with a cup of mixer. Soak the mixer in hot water for 10 mins first so it softens and expands before going in the dogs belly and expanding.
    Dentastix snacks 2-3 times a day.
    He is a 16 years old now and still plays a bit and chases cats put of the garden!
  12. mh123

mh123 Member

Ratings:
    +64
    For Gourmet use Amazon Subscribe & Save - currently £15 for 4 x 12 with free delivery :thumbsup:

For our two dogs (full collie and collie X lab) we use Skinners Field & Trial and Skinners Ruff & Ready alternated. Again through Amazon subscribe & save for about £15ish per 15Kg bag delivered free.

This free delivery malarkey is great when you live offshore and the nearest pet food store is the other side of the island (and RRP or higher) :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith Active Member

Ratings:
    +682
    My dog currently eats Wainwrights dog food, (told by staff in pets at home it has a higher 'REAL' meat content, later to find its a pets at home own brand exclusive!!!!!!) I just hate the idea, every time its her meal time I feel guilty

I dont see the problem with feeding 'normal' food to my dog, I hate when people call it human food when talking about feeding a dog, why is decent food 'human food'? what gives us any more rights too the decent stuff over the dog?
  14. TheAdmiralCS

TheAdmiralCS Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Hey if you can afford it then go for it, no-one's here to tell you otherwise :)
  15. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +661
    I fell for that once - tried my 2 cats on Iams and Sheba, both much higher meat content. Our cats completely turned their noses up at that as well.

With ours, it's not so much the actual meat content, but rather the texture of it and the gravy. The Gourmet brand has no more meat content than the Pets at Home one does (both 4%), it's more what 'they've' done with it.

I suppose it's like getting someone who has never cooked anything in their life before to cook a £50 steak, or getting Gordon Ramsey to cook you a £3 steak. I bet the latter would be miles better.

It's a shame you can't get Felix As Good as It Looks in Gravy anymore, as that is their all-time favourite. It was cheap as well, but can only get Jelly now which they also both hate.
  16. dudeness

dudeness Member

Ratings:
    +163
  17. 1iam5mith

1iam5mith Active Member

Ratings:
    +682
    I couldnt do a BARF diet for her

I think I will have too give her 2 parts cooked meat (chicken,turkey,beef), 1 parts veg (but a bag of value mixed veg frozen) and 1 part grains (brown rice most days, occasionally change to rolled oats for the odd day or two) and give her a cod liver oil capsule every 3 days

Would there be anything missing from her diet with that menu? I don't want her having some deficiency!
  18. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,291
    James Wellbeloved, and some warm chicken stock/stripped chicken meat.
    Wainwrights or Pets at Home food(silver bag) is just as good.

Asda Smartprice frozen chicken portions(white bag-green writing), a bag of 1 kilo(roughly) costs 86p, simply defrost, and let them rip.

Consists of thighs and drumsticks, and if you are paranoid of raw bones, hit them with a hammer before hand.
    The dogs digestive system, will work on the bones, and it gets a workout eating them too.

Cooked bones, no..raw bones fine.

We also boil them sometimes, the wife removes the chicken, sticks a ladle of the stock in a freezer bag, with a portion of the removed chicken meat, and seals up the bag, and freezes them.
    Perfect for a treat or served with their mixer, just decant into a bowl, and microwave it till it's hot.

1 bag, with mixer usually does a week, for our Husky, so for less than quid, it's well worth it.

The stock also can be used for, as we do, a mixer softener, or for stock for soup(it's coming into winter, nothing better than home made soup!)

All better tnan that trash, Wagg, Pedigree,Iams or Bakers or whatever crap is sold, they're just farts/bad breath in biscuit form, well, that and skin disorders, and/or other health issues, just waiting to happen.

Dogs aren't vegetarians, and most of those dog foods are just rubbish.

Also a visit to the butchers, for chicken carcasses is well worth it, cheap, might even be free, and they get a lot of nutrients from them.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  19. SanPedro

SanPedro Member

Ratings:
    +277
    Not to be seen blowing one's own trumpet here.... (But i will).
    My partner runs a business selling hypoallergenic dog food: Hypoallergenic Cereal Free dog food and Grain Free Dog Food

Only sell online and it's a lot cheaper than the big name brands, for the same quality.

You don't have to take our word for it as we've loads of testimonials from very happy customers: Nutrix Testimonials

Some of the dogs have literally been at deaths door due to a condition known as EPI where they lack they enzymes to digest cereals in the food. Cereals and other fillers in dry dog food are the biggest cause of digestive problems in dogs.
  20. shodan

shodan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,569
    After this thread I went to the butchers and paid £1.50 for a carrier bag of pork bones and meaty bits.
    Gave the dog a big bone (honestly I tried 3 or 4 times to re word that but it kept coming out the sane) and he was very happy with that in the garden for 45 minutes!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. SBT

SBT Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,978
    I always used to feed the dogs with our leftovers.
    My last dog used to love a kebab :laugh:
  22. gibbsy

gibbsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,268
    Our Cocker gets cooked chicken mixed with vegetables mixed with a handful of Royal Canine Sensible Medium, once a day. She looks pretty good on it.

We used to feed our Field Spaniels and Irish Setters on a full BARF diet.
  23. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,945
    1 x 1/2 cup of cooked yams, and minced turkey thigh here for dinner after 1 x 1/2 cup Eukanuba mixed dry food for breakfast.

This keeps my JRT happy and somehow fart-free
  24. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy Active Member

Ratings:
    +723
    CSJ Complete Tripe dry food for my dog mostly. He does get the odd bones or bit of meat from the butchers too though, and he loves raw carrot so gets one of those every couple of days.