The next xbox might not play used games!

Bamford38

Ex Member
Reaction score
I was just reading this artice

Xbox News: Xbox 720 'will support Blu-ray, might not play used games' - report - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

I think this can surely only harm the market more than it will help it.

I dont know about you guys, but i do buy a lot of second hand games. I also buy a hell of a lot of new games, but only games im excited about.

The games i buy second hand are generally games that i would never have given a go if they were full price, either through bad word of mouth, bad reviews, lack of knowledge, etc.
But if i end up enjoying them i will still buy DLC, the network pass and the eventual sequel.

If there were no second hand games i would have never tried these games, so the company has lost a potential customer forever.

Ive got a feeling there will be a lot of like-minded people on the subject.

So, what do you guys think?
If there are no more used games how much will it impact the amount of games you buy?

would this count with rented games too?

this would harm the xbox in a massive way as most people cannot afford brand new games, only way to counter it would be for developers to reduce the price of the new games.

This rumour seems to pop up at the beginning of each generation.

Last time it was the PS3 that was the subject of this rumour: -

PlayStation 3 won't play used games? | Joystiq

If they are talking about linking games to accounts, maybe they are going to allow you to install games and play them without the disc in the drive. I'm highly doubtful that they will do something that prevents you from playing used/borrowed games altogether.

If they are talking about linking games to accounts, maybe they are going to allow you to install games and play them without the disc in the drive. I'm highly doubtful that they will do something that prevents you from playing used/borrowed games altogether.

I doubt they would actually do it. They must realise this will be a deal breaker for most people.

If Microsoft dont let people play used games, but Sony do.
I think i know whos going to win that console war!

LIES!

That is all. If this happens, Ill say it right here publicly -

I will create a poll and you can all decide what I have to eat, no matter how grotesque.

Smaller controller - A step in the wrong direction
Kinnect 2 - A step forward as the rumours suggest you don't need a hanger sized living room for it to work
Linking games to the xbox live id - A step in the wrong direction, it will kill the rental and second hand game market, and if true it seems that Online passes will by pass the protection.

CES should be interesting.

I'd like to link my gamertag to games if it meant I could install them all and then leave the discs on the shelf, as long as I could unlink a game if I ever wanted to sell it or lend it to a mate.

A smaller controller, this is why I don't play my PS3. I want the controller to be the exact same as the 360, why change it. The way MS are going on about utter **** like Kinect I don't see it shipping with a controller.

I don't believe this thing about not playing 2nd hand copies as I see more online passes being required for online gaming in order to make money from 2nd hand game sales. I don't think lovefilm, game etc would be happy about this.

The controller will probs be fractionally smaller and weigh a little less. Just like the Onza :p

Germinator said:
A smaller controller, this is why I don't play my PS3. I want the controller to be the exact same as the 360, why change it. The way MS are going on about utter **** like Kinect I don't see it shipping with a controller.

I like you.
I can't stand all this Kinect crap either.
Video games are what I enjoy when I want to relax.
I don't want to be waving my arms about or jumping around the room like a **** to play a game.
I want to sit there, with a controller in my hands and just play.
And I totally agree about not changing the controller.
Why fix what ain't broken?

And as for not being able to play used games.
If it's true, which it hopefully isn't, it would destroy gaming.
Don't MS realise that not everyone is super rich and can buy brand new, full price games all the time?
The very idea of stopping the used game/rental market is retarded.

I never buy used games (or veeeery infrequently) but I rarely pay more than £30 for new releases and more than £15 for older blockbuster games.

I'm not saying it's possible for everyone to afford to buy every game but let's be reasonable here, there's nothing saying we have to upgrade to a new console and if we can't afford the games surely we can't afford the hardware in the first instance?

If this was to turn out being true,not able to play used or borrowed games then my gaming days will come to a end.
I used to buy new games when i had a very good paying job but that has all changed now so i rent from lovefilm which has saved me alot of money.

If MS where to do this, then they will lose a hell of alot of customers -me for one.

Lets see what happens over the coming months.

The whole borrowing/renting thing would be more of a problem for me.
I got rid of loads of game last year.
They were mostly games that I'd bought on impulse and just hadn't got around to playing again.
Now, instead of impulse buying, I rent.
It not only saves me money, but I don't end up being stuck with games that I only play once and/or get sick of quickly.

Ditto Manowar, I used to be a right snob when buying games. I wouldnt touch a used game!

I do still support my favourite Devs and Games by buying new.

I dont think this new tech would honestly sway many people, maybe 1% of the market. Hell it pisses me off but I aint missing out, DAY 1 for me! You can bet if MS do it, super anal Sony will too!.

Who makes money out of the second hand games market? Not the developers or M$ that's for sure. If M$ do stop you from playing used games then, like Dinky Dragon said, Sony will most likely follow and then we will have no choice but to buy new games to support our new console.
I can actually see this happening.
As for changing the joypad, that's just daft. The 360 pad is the best ever made, so how can you improve on perfection

Who makes money out of the second hand games market? Not the developers or M$ that’s for sure. If M$ do stop you from playing used games then, like Dinky Dragon said, Sony will most likely follow and then we will have no choice but to buy new games to support our new console.
As for changing the joypad, that’s just daft. The 360 pad is the best ever made, so how can you improve on perfection

But when you have paid for the product you should be able to sell it. Tough **** MS and SONY.

If they do a licence or user login asscociation sales will plummet unless prices do too.

I buy games specifically knowing I will complete and sell.

I would just not bother and go down the piracy route if they do this.....as will many others, whether you want to read it or not.

I only buy games I know I will keep and play over and over.
Mostly big titles like GTA, AC, Dead Space, GoW.
Anything else is a rental for me.

BigStu1972 said:
Who makes money out of the second hand games market? Not the developers or M$ that’s for sure.
I'm sure some people buy more new games because the are able to sell some second hand.

Think about the trade in deals. Trade in game xxx and get xxx brand new for £10. Devs will still be getting money for the new purchase*.

*although not for the traded in game.

Personally I buy a mixture, but mainly I wait until you can buy new for a reasonable price. If you get away from buying on release you can get most for sub £20, £10 or even £5 depending on how long you hold off. Have not paid £40 for a game in years. Most is probably £30 I'd guess.

Who makes money out of the second hand games market? Not the developers or M$ that’s for sure. If M$ do stop you from playing used games then, like Dinky Dragon said, Sony will most likely follow and then we will have no choice but to buy new games to support our new console.

As for changing the joypad, that’s just daft. The 360 pad is the best ever made, so how can you improve on perfection

1. Piracy will increase as people will see that as an alternative
2. People will not buy the console - simples.
3. People will jump to other platforms.

There are always other choices.

If this did happen & I could not use a secondhand game I for one would not buy the new console full stop & I am sure many others would not either, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

if the new xbox wont play used games,then i wont be buying it,nearly all my games are used,also games shops like cex would go out of business,sony sales would go through the roof,and microsoft would make a massive balls up if this was true.

I could see it happening with a more aggressive pricing strategy for first hand games, especially for downloaded games & content.

MS want places like CEX out of business, it makes no money for them. The biggest problem it would leave would be defectors to a rival brand if they continued to allow used games, so they would be banking on the fact it wouldn't be a big part of their market leaving.

If you already only buy used games though, MS wouldn't lose anything by not having your business anyway.

Although saying that, the online passes must draw some income, I wonder if that's going to outweigh the losses though?

Last edited:
Crazy idea!
I just picked up fallout new vegas and bad company 2 for £10 for both. Games i wouldnt buy at full price as i never tried them before.

Terry1988 said:
Crazy idea!
I just picked up fallout new vegas and bad company 2 for £10 for both. Games i wouldnt buy at full price as i never tried them before.

Only crazy from your perspective though.

Playing devil's advocate, there's no loss to the publishers if you would never have bought them at RRP.

Don't get me wrong - I'm as against barring used game sales as anyone else, but I can (sort of) see the publishers' position too. I happen not to agree with it but that's by-the-by....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom