Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Epson 8500UB

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Abizzle, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    As good as the JVC HD-1 is, I think the latest projectors have come a long way since the JVC was realised.

I reckon the Epson would be a better all round projector, whilst the JVC has it's highlights.

Dan201, congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you will be happy. I know I am. My mates were blown away with the image. One saying the picture was better than his mid range 50" Panasonic plasma.

What postage did you go with and did you get him to undervalue it for customs?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,420
    In the end I bottled out. I could not face the possibility of getting red lines/ pink band / convergance issues on multiple units and either (a) living with the problem, or (b) sending the unit back @ £350 per round trip (insured - no ways would I send a unit uninsured) or (c) plead with Epson UK to repair here at an unknown price.

After all, there is one really unlucky guy in the US on his 7th unit which if one is in the USA and with Epsons great customer service, one could put up with the hassle if it wasn't costing a penny.

Fair play to anyone who goes for a US deal, your cahones are bigger than mine.

In the end I had to up my budget and I've secured one of the few remaining JVC HD750s.

As my business is getting this unit (so I can do presentations/training at client sites) I'll at least get the VAT back, which is a nice chunky sum.
  3. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    I went for the cheaper $95 shipping and asked him to value it as u suggested. Ill let you know what I get charged for the import.

Fair one Mr Incredible. I always think of insurance as a bet against yourself, you can't win. Im not willing to gamble £350 on a £1500 projector getting lost or whatever. For the cost I think they are terrible odds.

I think its hard to go wrong with any of these great projectors (assuming its a good unit). 1080p 100" goodness!
  4. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,420
    That was £350 for two journeys. I was quoted $250 one way, so only £100 more than the $95.

But as you say, you felt it was worth the risk. I hope you get enjoyment out of it.

When can I get into smug-mode with the acquisition of a HD750? :D
  5. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Each to their own.

I am over the moon with my purchase. It works a treat with none of the side effects u mention MrI.

I'm either one of the lucky ones, or they have resolved the issues in the latest firmware upgrade.

You have to bare in mind, when there are a few people with issues, they look around for people with similar issues to share the experience and try to get a solution.

Thast why they all congregate at these Forums. So on the face of it, it looks like everyone is getting these issues. Yet no one mentions the 100,000 people with no issues, compared to the 15-20 people that have reported the issue.

Anyway, I hope Dan201 gets his projector safely and will indeed be more than happy he saved half his money and got a better projector.
  6. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Fingers crossed!

Mr Incredible, enter Smug mode now :) That projector is meant to be great.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,420
    Actually I got as far as placing an order via the web on Welcome to BestBuyPcs Online Store who had the 8500UB @ $2195 + the $250. Although the web accpeted my "order" and Credit Card and I was able to put a UK delivery address, they couldn't process an overseas credit card and asked for either a Wire Transfer or they could do it by PayPal. As I was doing this through my business I wanted to tie my work CC to Paypal and that took a couple of days to verify. In the meanwhile I was getting more apprehensive about dealing with any issues should they arise, so in the end I cancelled.... chicken! :D

BestBuyPCS now have upped their price to $2498 (I presume the $200 discount is now removed). They agreed to hold the previous price ($2195) for me if I changed my mind.
  8. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm sure you will be more than happy with the JVC. That was the model I was looking at. But it was just too expensive. It was use the whole budget on the JVC, or use two-thirds of it on an Epson + 110" Stewart Firehawk G3 Screen. ;-)

The Epson came second to the JVC's in picture quality, so opted for that.

I'm even more pleased with the Epson, knowing me and Dan got it delivered even cheaper than what the americans can get it for. LOL

Can I ask how much you paid for the JVC?
  9. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,420
    It's no secret, it's on all the dealers sites. A fiver under 3.5k.
  10. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    I looked up some reviews of the hd750. Thats a pretty impressive projector!

I wish Epson listed the native contrast ratio like JVC.
  11. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I think I read somewhere the Native Contrast was measured at 20,000:1 for the Epson.

Not bad, and close to the HD350.

No wonder the majority of the reviews asy it's very close to the JVC HD350 and unless you've got a Bat Cave room, will not see much difference.

I expect the HD750 to be blatantly distinguishable, as it's native contrast is 70,000:1.
  12. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Why did u decide on the 8500 when the hd350 has a better contrast ratio?
  13. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Simply. The money factor.

The cheapest HD350 I could find new was for £2400. Leaving me with £600 for a screen.

However, one thing did put me off the JVC, was there was no THX or ISF calibration.

With the Epson literally being one month since release. It had all the latest features, better contrast ratio than previous model and a THX mode that gave as near perfect results out of the box.

Therefore, I figured a THX Epson would give as good a picture if not better than a out of the box HD350. Until you get it calibrated which was another £300.

So I spent £2000, saved myself £1000 and thanks to the Firehawk screen, probably get a better picture than a non calibrated HD350 with a mediocre screen.

Well that was my thinking anyway.
  14. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,420
    Yeah, but as its been pointed out, any blacker than black levels are only worth it if you have pretty good light control.

.... I'm off to paint one of the lounge walls a nice deep red colour (Tudor Rose)! See you in a few hours (if I can find my paint stuff!)
  15. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Its a shame the review sites can't update their reviews more often to show the best projector at each price point. It would mean changing reviews everytime a new projector came out though.

Considering the reason i decided to get a projector was because there were some great models for £1000, the JVC is definitly out of my price range. I ended up spending £1750, doh! Can't wait to get it all set up. Im redecorating and its my first property so ill take before and after photos etc and post them in the gallery section when the time comes.
  16. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Another reason I chose the Epson was cause of the high amounts of lumens it outputs in its brightest mode.

The setup was my lounge which is far from light controlled. So with the world cup coming up and games during the day, The Epsons beats even the JVC for high lumen count. Yes the colours etc. are not perfect, but very very watchable. Also allows u to watch daytime tv whilst it uses the HQV chip for processing.

But when totally dark, night viewing, you can bang it on THX mode, get near perfect results and sit back and enjoy that blu ray.:D
  17. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,420
    May I turn on smug mode?.... :D

[smug] It may be just the combination of throw distance and screen size, but according to Projector central, their figures for image brightness shows the HD750 (17fL) ahead of the TW5500 (15fL). [/smug] :devil:

[​IMG]
  18. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    I admit I cannot make any sense of the calculator on that site, but it looks pretty.

I think i read that the epson is far brighter when on max brightness, but as Abizzle has mentioned this isnt the best setting for colour accuracy etc. When both projectors are set to their best cinema modes the JVC is slightly brighter.
  19. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Bottom line is, that everyone knows all the JVC models are the best for under £10k, but what I'm saying is second best for half the price is a win win situation as well. In money terms. ;)

It's not too far off the JVC's
  20. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    From Projectorreviews.com:

In "best" mode, the JVC easily bests the Epson, with over 750 lumens to the Epson's 500. The RS10/HD350 can handle my 128" screen in "best" mode, something the Epson just can't do. In "brightest" mode, however, the JVC only gets a small increase in the 900 lumen range, while the Epson is about 50% brighter. As I own the similarly bright RS20/HD750, I can attest, that on my 128" screen, if I want a nice amount of ambient light when folks are over for football, the JVC's come up a little short, while the Epson has no problem. (That's why, back in February, I had pulled down my RS20/HD750 from my high shelf and put an Epson up there for my Superbowl party).

Read "World Cup", where it says "Superbowl party".:devil:
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  21. Al1357

Al1357 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys how are you getting on with your projectors, any chance of a mini review and some screen shots of them in action please. :smashin:
    Might be getting one myself as the pricing is so good.
  22. Abizzle

Abizzle Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Al,

Yes, have used the projector for movies, games, sports etc. and it has been superb. No major issues.

I especially like the daytime mode, which REALLY does allow me to watch TV during daytime at a very good qaulity level. Just put it this way, on THX mode at night with no lights on, it's so good on blu ray that people have commented the pic quality is better than their 40"/50" mid range Plasmas/LCD's.

Which, for a 110" screen is not bad at all. Plus we are sitting at about a foot closer than recommended. lol

Will help with the worldcup.:thumbsup:

I will take pics this weekend and post them on Sunday.

I wonder if DAN (above) has ordered and received his projector. Dan201?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  23. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    I ordered mine but had to pay using an echeque on paypal. Im not sure why but its taken untill now to clear.

Im not back in the UK for 3 more weeks yet and I wont be setting up my projector for another 9 weeks after that so im afraid my review will have to wait a while.

Ill test it out when im home in 3 weeks but it will be against a wall so wont really be a fair test.

When i set up my home cinema type room ill post it in the gallery section and post a link in here :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Al1357

Al1357 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Nice one i'll look forward to it.
  25. Vladman

Vladman Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, long time no post.

The upgrade itch is back! After 3 years with my trusty Hitachi PJ-TX200, I'm ready to go 1080p!

The deal from the US described in this thread sounds amazing. Has the second person (Dan201) who ordered this projector received it yet?

I had a look at the link provided, and it doesn't look like that guy is selling that particular projector any longer. But there are a few other Epsons, but I'm getting very confused with the American model numbers versus European ones, and can't really figure out what's what. :confused:
  26. Barry F

Barry F Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Vladman,

Although they don't show the 8500UB on their website they still have them on their ebay store. The best option is probably to email them directly.
    Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500UB Projector - eBay (item 270571983578 end time May-30-10 08:30:02 PDT)

I was doing a bit of research one these in the US and the models can be a bit confusing, not all of the models are directly comparable with UK models (there doesn't seem to be a US equivalent for the TW2900.

It looks like the 8100 is equivalent to the TW3500 and then they have the 8500UB and 9500UB which are similar to the TW5500, although the US models seem to have a THX setting out of the box that is not on the UK Model.

The 8500UB and 9500UB are very similar with the 9500UB only available through a registered custom installer and comes bundled with ceiling mount and screen. Apart from that the only differences there appear to be is
    1 Support for an anamorphic lens
    2 Two lockable ISF calibration settings that can't be adjusted by the user only the installer.
    The Art of Home Theater Projectors » Blog Archive » Epson Home Cinema 8500UB and Pro Cinema 9500UB Projectors – Details

Hope this helps, I did alot of research and after all that eneded up buying in the UK. TW3500 if I was going for the top of the range model would probably have bought in the states.
    Cheers, Barry.
  27. Vladman

Vladman Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you very much for that Barry! That certainly clears up the things a bit.

What is an anamorphic lens btw?

May I ask, why didn't you go for this, as with a bit of luck, it works out only a couple of hundreds of pounds more expensive than the TW3500, and you get a top of the range projector? Could you just not be bothered with the hassle (and a bit of risk) inlvolved in getting it from the US?

I began my research being interested in the TW3500 myself, but when I saw this thread, I thought this was such an incredible deal that I definitely had to look into it!

Thanks again.
  28. Barry F

Barry F Member

Ratings:
    +5
    An Anamorphic lens allows you to view 2.40:1 material at full resolution without the Black Bars. They can be very expensive. There is a good summary if you click the link in this page.
    Anamorphic Lens for Anthem & JVC projectors

The TW3500 was right at the top of my price bracket and I was looking at bringing an 8100 in from the US when I saw the option of the 8500UB.

My main concern was bringing it into Ireland there are alot of duties and VAT and with this type of equipment very difficult to get it in without paying the duty and VAT, the other issue was with the warranty it would have been necessary to ship back to the US if you needed to return it under warranty, also the UK warranty is much better and extra year on the unit and the US only give 90 days on the lamp.

When I added up the potential cost of VAT and duties I decided the 8500UB was out of the price range and would only have saved a couple of hundred euro on the 8100 so decided for the piece of mind on warranty to buy in the UK when I was over there the Bank Holiday weekend.
  29. Dan201

Dan201 Active Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Im still waiting on mine. It was posted 2 weeks ago today but I went for the cheaper option with the delivery service.

Ill let you know when it arrives :thumbsup:
  30. Vladman

Vladman Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks Dan. :)