Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Man With The X Ray eyes remake announced

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by drunkenmaster, Mar 11, 2009.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Another remake you say!
    But this could be promising, being directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo of 28 Weeks Later fame, combined with eye popping (excuse the pun) up to date special effects, could be one to watch out for.

The 1963 original starring Ray Milland, directed by Roger Corman is regarded by many as a cult classic, heres a brief synopsis taken from Empire Magazine:

Ray Milland as a scientist uses himself as a guinea pig for a formula for X-ray vision. A formula that, as it turns out, works rather too well. Creepy, garish and lurid, the film is perhaps most memorable for its chilling final scenes.
  2. IAN P

IAN P Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    Classic B movie,Roger Corman has made some belters over the years.:thumbsup:

This'll be cgi all the way.
  3. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton New Member

Ratings:
    +649
    I wonder why you would want X-Ray vision anyway?
  4. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Maybe change the meaning of "Its whats on the inside that counts"? :D
  5. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,540
    It was not exaly X-ray vision as just seeing bones more like Superman’s X-Ray an ability to look though a layer of somethings.
    He used it for medical good rather than undressing peeps :D
  6. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    In the early more light hearted part of the film he did use his X-ray vision to undress people. He didn't have
    control over the strenght of his vision, it just increased with time till he saw to "the edge of the universe" and subsequently went barmy
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2009
  7. pRot3us

pRot3us Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,017
    The original's another on my long list of to buys.

Seems a very strange choice of film to remake.
  8. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263

The original is remembered for it's premise and its then shocking ending, but it's not very well executed and the special effects are rather poor, even by the standarts of the time. There is some potential there to tell a better story with the same premise and there haven't been many effects films about X-ray vision. It could be quite interesting to see our world peeled layer by layer if done right.
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  9. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,540
    The point I was making was he was the basis of the charater was not primaraly for pervy use but for medical use.

PS please use spoiles you gave the end of the plots there allbut one shocking moment.
  10. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    The remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still wasn't as good as the original nor was The War of the Worlds.

Where does this come from:

"My eyes, my eyes, my beautiful eyes"

I wasn't sure if it came from X - aka The Man With the X-Ray Eyes.
  11. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I much preferred Spielberg's War of the Worlds which, though not without flaws, stuck much closer to the HG Wells novel. The 50s film manged to chuck out just about everything that was great about the book and came up with a dreadful "divine intervention" ending which would have had Wells spinning in his grave. Unlike the original The Day the Earth Stood Still or even the 50s War of the Worlds, The Man With the X-ray Eyes is far from being a classic, so it's not difficult to come up with something superior.
  12. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    I think they did a good job with the original War of the Worlds movie. The ending was the same as the book with microscopic bacteria killing the Aliens.

The Jeff Wayne version was also good.

Aparently in the HD version of The Day the Earth Stood Still 1951 you can see strings holding up the girl as the actor had a bad back. There were two costumes for Gort, one for the front and one for the back as it had to be zipped up.

Klaatu Barada Nikto, didn't hear that in the remake, did in Evil Dead 3 though.
  13. Todd Tomorrow

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I didn't say that that they did a bad job with the 50s film, on it's own terms it's a great alien invasion flick with spectacular effects. I stated that the Spielberg film, which you described as an inferior remake, is a better adaptation of one of the great classics of literature. It retains many of the elements from the novel which the earlier film ignored. Spielberg did the same thing Carpenter did with The Thing. Instead of remaking the earlier film, he went back to the novel for his inspiration.

While bacteria also kills the aliens in the 50s version, this is put down to gods intervention, unlike in the novel and the Spielberg film, which have a strictly scientific basis. That's a major difference in meaning between those two outcomes.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  14. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I thought the DTESS remake was vastly inferior to the original but Speilberg's remake of WOTW wasn't inferior at all. I was surprised at how closely it stuck to the book even though, like the 1950's version, it was set in the US. The Man with the X-Ray Eye's I think is a minor cult film. I can't see it being a commercial success so I'm hoping they'll concentrate on the ideas throw up by the film rather than just serving up a effects laden snorefest.
  15. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    I think the God's intervention part was due to religion in America at the time.

Anyhow: My eyes, my beautiful eyes. Where does that come from? You always here it in SciFi takes-off like Family Guy and The Simpsons.
  16. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Wasn't the saying from the film "If your eye offends thee, pluck it out!"
  17. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Yeah it was, a bit religious.