The Macro/Close Up Thread part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great shots Mike - #1 gives me the creeps but love it :)

Mike.P®;17003324 said:
Great shots everyone.

Mike: First jumping spider is excellent
Simon: Last Shield bug for me
g8ina : Great Scorpion fly, never seen one of those yet.

Couple from me this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25848431@N02/7254548922/image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25848431@N02/7254813922/image

Both great Mike :)

Two pictures of a Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula) I shot today during lunchbreak.
These are one of the first to fly out in Europe.

Olympus OM-D with Micro-Nikkor 200/4, handheld

C U,
Rafael

Very nice indeed Raf :)

That jumping spider is superb as are all the rest, but i just love jumping spiders they facinate me what spiecies would that be as i onley seem to get zebra ones. I think they see there reflection in the lense thats why they steer at you.

Thanks for the comments all.

Rex Hunt: I think this is a Heliophanus genus, not sure which species.
I think they turn to look where the flash is coming from. I don't think they can see their reflection in the Tamron 90, the front element is so deeply recessed.

Some from this afternoon.

Small garden orb spider by jomike, on Flickr

2. Something a bit different, a B&W dandelion seedhead.

Dandelion seedhead by jomike, on Flickr

love that seed head :)

@Dancook (and All).... some very good shots there... I'm amazed the detail you get on the bugs!

My 30mm macro turned up for my NEX today - so had to pop out into the garden for a play..
Not a huge amount to shoot being in the city, but found a couple of dandelion's which are always worth a macro shot..

20120524-_DSC0426 by springtide9, on Flickr

20120524-_DSC0425 by springtide9, on Flickr

30mm is very short for a macro... far from ideal actually... but really like the manual focusing with the EVF/zoom functionality.

Lovely work Springtide.

springtide, second shot gets two thumbs up from me:)

That damselfly is a Beautiful Damoiselle I think. Jammy bugger.

and again :thumbsup:

Yep, considering I only paid £130 for the macro it's a pretty nice lens. The build on the NEX lenses is lovely... not sure why Sony can't make some of their cheaper A-Mount lenses as good.

Thought I'd also share a crop.... it's not very interesting (apart from giving an idea of resolution)

20120524-_DSC0425-2 by springtide9, on Flickr

Anyway, thanks for the kind comments.... now where can I find some Damselfly's :)

Last edited:
Cracking detail. Never seen one that up close before!

great detail :)

Wow gits your shots look fantasic. Im well jealous! Well my first slr came yesterday. A used canon 40D :love:
Im am a complete novice so please bear that in mind :) I'm posting these images as a 'where i started' marker. I'm hoping in a year or so to be able to look back and see how much i've improved/regressed. probably regressed lol.

Theres one unedited (cropped) image and one i ran through photoshop as an experiment, thoughts?

leaf.jpg

leaf2.jpg

the second is the edited one :) im aware its over edited for some, but I quite liked the way the leaf pops and how background went dreamy and like an oil painting. :bonk:

thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:
Duplicate, silly iphone

Congrats on your new DSLR :)

Regarding the shot I don't think it's overprocessed - it does look to me as if the original is a bit overexposed leading to some blown highlights on the leaf for example - what metering mode were you using ? - I tend to use spot or sometimes centre weighted metering for close-up stuff and I also usually shoot with -0.7EV exposure compensation so that I can usually recover a fair bit of highlight detail that might be lost - shooting in RAW of course helps too :)

shotokan101 said:
Congrats on your new DSLR :)

Regarding the shot I don't think it's overprocessed - it does look to me as if the original is a bit overexposed leading to some blown highlights on the leaf for example - what metering mode were you using ? - I tend to use spot or sometimes centre weighted metering for close-up stuff and I also usually shoot with -0.7EV exposure compensation so that I can usually recover a fair bit of highlight detail that might be lost - shooting in RAW of course helps too :)

All that went over my head! :(. I used manual focus on the auto mode, I'm struggling massively with things being overexposed though even in auto mode. If I zoom in with my sigma Lens the overexposure is crazy. I thought auto mode would compensate? I'm sticking to using the canon lens and getting close but even then there's bloom :(

Well got out for bit to try the flash on the bracket, i'm not happy to say the least :( its made things more complicated and the weight of the thing has made me more unsteady than i allready was, anyway heres a couple from loads i shot that went in the bin:mad:

1:

Dandi by Dazla74, on Flickr

2:

Ants by Dazla74, on Flickr

All that went over my head! :(. I used manual focus on the auto mode, I'm struggling massively with things being overexposed though even in auto mode. If I zoom in with my sigma Lens the overexposure is crazy. I thought auto mode would compensate? I'm sticking to using the canon lens and getting close but even then there's bloom :(

Hey - don't worry about it - learning is all part of the "fun" :facepalm: - what I meant was that I set my camera to shoot in RAW mode - not simply JPEG as RAW mode allows a lot more exposure recovery in post processing than JPEG - which can be quite useful but won't really help a lot if a shot has really overexposed highlights.

So in order to help compensate for this if shooting outdoors or with very bright lighting I set my camera to underexpose by between 0.5 and 0.7 "F Stops" (in aperture terms) - as it's a lot easier to boost an underexposed shot than to recover blown highlights from overexposure.

Using the right metering mode for the type of shot and subject can help too - so for example your camera will have a few metering modes to choose from - something like spot/centre or centre-weighted or multi-segment/matrix modes and each will have it's own use for certain subject types - e.g multiu-segement.matrix for landscapes perhaps and spot metering for macro etc.

Jim

ISO is pretty high for a sunny day...auto ISO doesn't always get it right. Try on aperture mode and lower the ISO to 100 or so..... you can adjust the aperture with the wheel to your hearts content

...and what Jim said with the exposure compensation

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
ive ordered this book already! heres hoping i can understand it! frustrating day, all the pics ive takes are junk coz of exposure :(

The book makes lots of things clear...and in a fairly simple way but not patronising. Don't worry about a frustrating day...its slow progress at times but when you take your first decent shots you'll be chuffed to bits.

I would avoid midday when the sun it at its peak as well...I tried today and it was just too bright for some shots...even with all the various things you can do to mitigate it. I've been at it a year and its still a fairly steep leaning curve. It will happen though.....

A couple from this evenings walk ...

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom