The LG PZ550T Plasma 3DTV Thread

Hi hullmackem, I'm getting the same amount of image retention as you, I just think its a side effect of plasma technology. It is annoying but not permanent

Hi hullmackem, I'm getting the same amount of image retention as you, I just think its a side effect of plasma technology. It is annoying but not permanent

Hi, this is the second lg plasma I've had and the previous one didn't get as much retention as this one. still it's early days and they tend to improve after a few months.

Hopefully they do get better over time, but I'm still happy with the overall pic quality and 3d. It's better than my last LG the pk590

Did anybody else get the software update today.... I did! Don't know if anything has changed though!

Could it improve the wireless?? Hope so!

Hi antfish, I haven't got a firmware update, what version number do u have? I have 3.8.33

software version: 05.00.08

Is that the same thing?

Last edited:
Hi antfish, there was no update for the pz550, because u have the pz570 that update could be something to do with the DLNA or smart functionally

Its the same panel though right? I know it has a little bit extra functionality so the update must be for the SMART functions and DNLA like you say.

Has anyone been able to connect a laptop to theirs via hdmi?. The tv just displays 'no signal' regardless of the display settings on the laptop. The latop is seeing the tv as it is listed in the display properties. The hdmi port on the tv is just greyed out all the time though.

Turned out to be a bad hdmi cable, swapped it for another and worked straight away,doh!

Hi all, I got one of these TVs last thurs, so after a couple of days I decided to calibrate. I use the i1 display 2 with chromapure software. I only done it fast and these are my settings.

Ratio just scan
Picture mode expert 1
Contrast 80
Brightness 44
Sharpness both 50
Tint 0
Dynamic contrast off
Noise reduction off
Gamma medium( sits at 2.2 til 90 ire)
Black level low
Film mode on
Color gamut wide ( my own preference)
Edge enhancer off
Color temp warm
Method 2point
Red contrast -15
Green contrast o
Blue contrast 4
Red bright o
Green bright o
Blue bright o

20 point ( only in 10 increments) will be re calibrating in 2 weeks
(rgb)
0 -2,0'-7
10 -2,0,-6
20 3,0,4
30 3,0,9
40 -1,0,10
50 0,0,3
60 -2,0,23
70 -5,0,9
80 0,0,0
90 -8,0,25
100 5,0,20

Color management system
Red color -2 tint 6
Green color -4 tint -3
Blue color -6 tint -15
Yellow color -4 tint 1
Cyan color -5 tint 1
Magneta color o tint 6

Mc Donald's Calibrations - Home
hi.this is some realy good settings,i have trie and tried to find the good pic for me and those work very well for me thx.but have you done a new calibration?

Hi shield, haven't been able to do another calibration yet, it takes about 3 hrs to do and my girlfriends mum isn't very well at the min so I have lent her my laptop to watch stuff on and my pc doesn't have the revelant software but I am planning on doing it before Christmas just to have it all set up looking good ;-)

Hi shield, haven't been able to do another calibration yet, it takes about 3 hrs to do and my girlfriends mum isn't very well at the min so I have lent her my laptop to watch stuff on and my pc doesn't have the revelant software but I am planning on doing it before Christmas just to have it all set up looking good ;-)

Hi.sorry to hear that,i wish her all the best:)

but brightness at 44 i tought was a littel dark,so i tok it up to 50,but at 44 dark was dark and not dark grey,i hadd it at 55 before and you see clear difference in the dark scenes,at 55 dark were dark grey,at 50 it was darker but still dark grey at 44 it was dark not grey just dark,but it was a littel to dark for at 44,mayby i just have to get use to it at 44.

when you calibrate did you do it in a normal light environment or completly dark?

Thanks, I calibrated about 3pm on a sat so it was bright enough. It will need changed depending on the lighting in ur room and per source as well. Mine prob is a bit darker because I don't like seeing the grays u r talking about.

shield said:
Hi.sorry to hear that,i wish her all the best:)

but brightness at 44 i tought was a littel dark,so i tok it up to 50,but at 44 dark was dark and not dark grey,i hadd it at 55 before and you see clear difference in the dark scenes,at 55 dark were dark grey,at 50 it was darker but still dark grey at 44 it was dark not grey just dark,but it was a littel to dark for at 44,mayby i just have to get use to it at 44.

when you calibrate did you do it in a normal light environment or completly dark?

I found 44 to dark aswell so calibrated my brightness and contrast with DVE essentials in accordance with how I have my room lit when watching films. Interestingly the contrast setting of 80 was bang on with DVE but my brightness needed to be set to 52.

I always. Find if I place some ambient light behind the TV it really helps.

Best settings I've ever had for a tv constantly amazed at the quality of both Hd Tv and Blu Ray is just awesome:)

Hi nexus, I'm glad u r enjoying the settings, I'm glad I got it right, backlighting a tv is meant to be a lot better for ur eyes and perceived contrast and brightness is better. There r a lot of led backlighting on eBay, I was looking into some like those. Would be interested to see if it works ;-)

yea the pic is fantastic:)and iam happy now,i bought the pz550 for 4 months ago but never satisfied with the pic or the THX cinema etc etc,so peahead thx for this settings:)i love my plasma now.i to was woundering about led backlighting.

nexus,what can i use as backlight till i buy led backlight,can i use a regular lamp or something like that?

They say it u r going to use a normal lamp u need to get a bulb that does 65000k that's meant to be like normal daylight, not too bright or too dark. The LEDs look good for about £30

I have not used LED lighting but just use a normal spotlight with a special bulb I bought from B & Q which I cannot remember the name of, it gives of a warm light and placed behind the tv it really just makes everything look that bit more dynamic, the bulb cost about £12. I know LED is the way to go but this works for the moment. Makes those blacks look that bit more inky black.

I'll have to check on B&Qs website and see what it has until I work out what lighting I want. Does it make that much of a difference and is it not too bright in ur room?

Peahead1977 said:
I'll have to check on B&Qs website and see what it has until I work out what lighting I want. Does it make that much of a difference and is it not too bright in ur room?

I used to watch films in total darkness but now I use this method every time I want to watch a film, I think it works really well, maybe give it a try with a normal lamp and see what you think, I do not have it on for watching normal TV I just set up for watching blu rays. I use a desk lamp set up on a small table behind the TV. I'll look on B&Q website to see if I can spot that bulb, I think the bulb uses LED tech.

I gave in and bought these from eBay. LED MOOD LIGHTING IDEAS TV BACK LIGHTS COLOUR CHANGING for £27. 2x15in light bars and remote to change colors. Will give a review when received :)

I gave in and bought these from eBay. LED MOOD LIGHTING IDEAS TV BACK LIGHTS COLOUR CHANGING for £27. 2x15in light bars and remote to change colors. Will give a review when received :)

Great hope this works for you I think you will be pleasantley surprised at how well it can work, espeacialy as you have gone for the proper thing:smashin:

Just had a look at this on ebay, this looks just the ticket let us know how you fit he tubes, very interested.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear from someone that it does make a difference. I didn't know about getting it but will try it out soon for myself :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom