Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The LG 42LK450U Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by B.Moxham, Oct 31, 2011.

1. B.Moxham

B.Moxham Member

Ratings:
    +12
    LG 42LK450U Televisions - 42" Full HD LCD TV - LG Electronics UK

had a look and saw no dedicated thread for this TV so thought I would start one.

Picked this set up yesterday and have to say it's superb!

It's getting really good reviews as well, although I would imagine that the price of the set is a big factor.

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: LG 42LK450U 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview

I haven't tested the USB settings yet, but someone on the amazon reviews has and pretty much any file format works on it.

If anyone has any calibration settings they'd like to share, please feel free to do so.
  2. Wmsdubstep

Wmsdubstep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this TV the other from Argos for £379.99. I am so impressed with it, it's by far the best TV I've ever purchased. Worth every penny.
    Intelligent sensor, touch buttons, USB 2.0, 3 HDMI, user-friendly menu, full HD. There's just too many features to be named.

I've tested the USB a bit, it's got a nice interface and easy to use. The design is so sleek, I just love it.
    If you're ever looking for a nice looking 42' TV, this is the TV to get. :)
  3. DominicJ

DominicJ Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Picked mine up on saturday, love it.
    Picture quality isnt awesome, its not as good as the 26" it replaced which now lives upstairs, but nothing to complain about
  4. Wmsdubstep

Wmsdubstep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's full HD (1920 x 1080). Are you using the HDMI output, or the basic HD output? (720p). Click the OK button on your TV remote and it'll tell you the output you're currently using.
    Another thing is the higher the screen size, the quality doesn't look good. Also, sitting a bit too close also makes it look less HD quality.
  5. DominicJ

DominicJ Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will make sure its in the right HD port, didnt realise they were different quality, but I think its just because its a bigger screen.
    I'm well chuffed with it, its just the first time I've really noticed a difference in picture quality
  6. DominicJ

DominicJ Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using HD Port 1.
    There is a 2 next to it, and a 3 on the side.

Skybox only has the one HD output (I think?)
  7. Wmsdubstep

Wmsdubstep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, Sky only have one HDMI. Are you using Sky+ HD with a HD subscription?
  8. DominicJ

DominicJ Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No HD sub, but use the freeview HD channels.
    As I said, I'm well chuffed with it, its just its replaced a 26" HD TV that probably cost about the same (we got it from an estate sale) so was a much much better quality.
    Glad I bought it, still need to play with the settings a bit.
  9. Wmsdubstep

Wmsdubstep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same. I love it. Wait, it has Freeview HD built in?!

I've played with it a bit, I've used the USB port to listen to music and play music. That's about it though.
    Hoping to get a 3D LED Smart TV next year, so I might go for an LG.
  10. B.Moxham

B.Moxham Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Couple of months in now and it's a cracking TV.

Just had Sky installed so was wondering what settings you're all using for Movies/Sports or are you just flicking between the default settings the TV provides?
  11. slrain

slrain Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi does anyone know the sky code for the lg 42lk450u
  12. smudger78

smudger78 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got one of these and maybe it because we're not used to such a big screen (replaced a 28") but the picture quality seems a little shaky? It's hard to describe but there seems to be a slight delay for example when a character on screen moves, the result being a slightly pixelated look to the picture.. Not sure if i've described it very well or even if this is out of the ordinary or to be expected with this type/size of tv but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS: I'm also struggling to programme the SKY+ remote to control volume etc, not sure if its the age of the remote (REV 6) or the codes i've tried so far not being the right ones but had no luck so again any tips gratefully received!
  13. Cieran

Cieran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased one of these and I agree with the rest of the posters on this thread that it is a cracking TV especially for it's price.

My one and only complaint is that when using headphones plugged into the headphone socket on the side, the sound quality is really poor - theres a constant hiss in the background. Audio coming through the speakers sounds absolutely fine so it only affects headphone output.

Has anyone else encountered this problem or does it sound like a defective unit? Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  14. tariqbutt

tariqbutt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the UK and thinking of getting this TV. If I hook up my old NTSC super nintendo via the scart lead, will this TV be able to deal with the NTSC signal?

My second question is does this TV have a 15 pin PC input (RGB)?
  15. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Afternoon all,

Just a quick question in regards to the Optical Output on the LG 42LK450U.

Can anyone confirm if it outputs 5.1? I know most current TV's dont, but just wanted to check?

Regards,

Paul
  16. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone?
  17. Comfies

Comfies Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I could REALLY do with knowing this too as I want to buy this TV at the weekend.
    Had my sights set on a Samsung but read in the manual that it will only output from the optical in 2.0 stereo.
    A good thing in the LG manual though is on the diagram showing a optical cable from the TV going into an audioi receiver - it actually shows a 5.1 setup as the audio receiver which wouldl instantly give the impression it will output in multichannel. But as Paul says, most dont and so it would be handy to know.

Cheers
  18. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all,

For those who want to know, it does state in the manual that it outputs Dolby digital.

I took the plunge and can confirm it does output Dolby digital to my surround sound.

However it does have a slight high pitch interference so I'm going to contact lg to see what they say.

As others have said, picture is fantastic and I paid 350 for the tv and totally worth it!

Paul
  19. redvers

redvers Member

Ratings:
    +11
    where did you get at from at that price? :)
  20. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Got it from Argos. Don't know if it was a pricing error but I expected to pay £400 for it, but when I collected it the price was £350!!
  21. redvers

redvers Member

Ratings:
    +11
    When did you buy it? I have reserved one on the offchance ;)
  22. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Had it about a month now, but either way I would have been more than happy to pay the full £400

Even if u don't get the 'price glitch' then I would still recommend it!!
  23. gorfuc

gorfuc Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I've had this TV for 3 or 4 months now, i love it but i've got a couple of issues, firstly the TV makes a buzzing noise during bright scenes, the brighter the image the louder the buzz it seems.

Secondly when text or logo's are shown on the screen, they show like a ghost image just offset from the original image, basically like a double image, you can really notice it on the Sky Sports HD channel logo's at the top right of the picture, also noticeable on Eurosport HD, the stars on the Eurosport logo look like they have a shadow. :confused:

Anyone else have any of these issues?

If anyone has Sky Sports HD or Eurosport HD, can you have a close look for me to see if your getting these double images.

Thanks for any help :)
  24. redvers

redvers Member

Ratings:
    +11
    If I don't get the glitch I will look to buy from Richer Sounds at £370 :)

(unless anyone else knows of cheaper)
  25. redvers

redvers Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I didn't get the glitch on my reservation... So now not sure what to get... Having looked on camelcamelcamel and seeing some of the prices that these LG tvs got to a couple of months ago on amazon, I may just end up waiting...
  26. kenzor

kenzor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up the TV and it seems to repeat whichever button I click first regardless of the buttons I click after several times.

eg. If I click the Home button to show menu, Home to hide menu, then the Guide button the home menu will show up again. If I repeatedly click Guide it will repeatedly hide/show the Home menu. Click Guide enough times and eventually it will show the Guide. Then no matter which buttons I click after that the Guide will show/hide.

Anyone else experienced this or have heard of a fix? Thanks.
  27. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Never happened to me mate.

Sounds like a fault with either the remote or tv, I'd be taking it straight back for a replacement.

I know it's simple but check the batteries first and replace,...long shot but I've known similar before
  28. kenzor

kenzor New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Replacing the batteries worked like a charm, thanks champ!
  29. boon147

boon147 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No worries dude, glad its workin ok. Enjoy ur great tv!!
  30. Bossworld

Bossworld Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Does this TV output audio via optical from all sources or just from its inbuilt tuner?

Thanks