1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The LE5900 LED Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Member 300569, Mar 2, 2010.

1. shazza chav

shazza chav Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the setting sorted out for the football game if you change the setting to cinema and the motion to the user bring the blur down to 0 as well as the other one you dont get the blur, but i seem to have the blu- ray problem still i'm not sure if there's anyway of stopping this as my mates have told me that this is a problem with alot of tv's now. The sony bravia is'nt like this but maybe it's down to the hz, as another mate has a sony bravia 200hz with no problem with this at all but i don't know whether to keep this tv or take it back as i only bought it from richer sounds a few weeks ago, is there any way of sorting this out :rolleyes:
  2. diamond2301

diamond2301 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have used I.S a few times but sumtimes it just gets too dark, gaming mode is good but the colour isn't as perfect. just need to play around with the advnace settings. any idea what the noise reduction and digital noise reduction do?
  3. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    In TV broadcasts you get picture noise, it's hard to explain, but it's a lot of the bad stuff in the picture, noise, artefacts etc... it aims to reduce that, the LG version of this doesn't do much, it's really severe on my Panasonic, and I leave it off because it just blurs the picture.
  4. beanie65

beanie65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought one of these on a week ago and have to say Im not really that impressed...acutally considering taking it back and changing to another tv. The picture quality is not that brilliant and the I cant get the refresh rate to go to 100hz???? :mad:

5. beanie65

beanie65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its £998 in Best Buys at Thurrock!

6. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    What settings do you have? What kind of TV are you coming from? And if Trumotion is on, then it's refreshing at 100Hz.
  7. beanie65

beanie65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an 47LE5900 on all settings when you press the info button on remote it says 50hz on the ps3 it says 60hz. We have decided to take it back to Best Buys tomorrow and change it as only had it 2 days!

Old TV was Samsung 40" LCD LR4051B but picture didnt blur or judder as much as the lg does!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  8. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    That's just the input details, that's what it's being sent, the TV then takes that and interpolates the frames to make it 100Hz.
  9. beanie65

beanie65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well we're still not impressed with it...the picture quality is not that sharp and the sound is awful...we have tried it on every setting...maybe we should of got a plain lcd or a full led? we are running our tv through a virgin hd box too. it doesnt work with my surround sound speakers for some reason and it pixelates too much? but thanks for the info its much appreicated. :)
  10. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    Which connections are you using for the speakers? The only sound outputs on the TV are the optical out and the 3.5mm headphone jack. The built in sound on most new TVs is pretty poor because they're so thin, the fact that the LED edge lit models are extra thin doesn't help, but even the standard LCDs and full LED backlit TVs lack sound quality.

If you're not happy with the picture then by all means get a replacement, although it could just be the extra side when watching SD as it brings out the poor broadcasting quality quite a bit, TVs smaller than 42" or so are usually more capable with SD content.
  11. beanie65

beanie65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the only way we can use our speakers is by plugging them directly into our cable box, which then puts the sound out of sync. We have to turn the sound down fully on the tv or there is an echo. But as I said the sound is out of sync with the tv so its all a bit topsy turvy really. The picture quality is really poor with lots of blurring and I watch Lady Gaga live in concert on MTV earlier and it was awful picture...going back to best buy at thurruck at tea time and going to exchange it for a sony or samsung I think. Not sure if to go for an lcd or plsama. My husband likes to watch action films and play COD and such games on his ps3 we also like to listen to music and he watches sport like F1 and football. We like nature programs and things so its hard to chose what tv to get. We would like it to be between 42-47" and full hd prefer with usb with full media playback etc.
  12. lostcow

lostcow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My mother-in-law brought the 37" from Richer sounds last Thursday for £699.99. It was £899 in Currys!

Are you supposed to be able to turn the set off without unplugging it?

When the set is in standby and you touch the on/off button on the front off the set there is a high pitched noise for about 4-5 seconds then it turns itself on. On my LG 32LF7700 this turns the set off.

Everything else about the set seems ok so far.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    There doesn't appear to be a button to completely turn it off, which is a shame, but the power consumption in standby is 1 watt or less, so it's not going to make your electricity bills rocket or anything.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. Deadmpa1

Deadmpa1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 47LE5900 yesterday and I am very impressed so far. I think it handles SD fine (obviously depends on the bitrate of the channel to some extent) and Sky HD and blu-ray look stunning, especially when compared to my 2 year old 47LG5020 that this model is replacing.

Lots of people seem to post asking for advice with picture settings - I scoured the net for advice on calibrating the picture for the LE5900, but came up blank. What I did find though was a thorough picture calibration for a LE8500. This may not be an exact match, but as it's a 2010 LG LED I thought I'd give it a go. In my opinion this calibration gives a great and realistic looking picture. Obviously this is down to personal taste somewhat, but this is a cracking place to start as it does appear to be a legitimate pro calibration to the 6500 standard. Anyway, here's the link - give it a go and see what you think.....

LG 47LE8500 Picture Settings, Calibration and Test Results
  15. Deadmpa1

Deadmpa1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update on my previous post..... I've been doing some more reading on picture calibration, and inparticular, the ISF expert elements that LG offer for calibration. From what I've read it seems that these elements are very specific to the panel, input and room lighting at the time of the calibration. Therefore they probably aren't going to deliver as accurate results as implied at the link I posted when applied en masse.

However, I still think that using the basic elements from this calibration (e.g. Contrast, brightness, colour, etc.) provide a decent picture on my 47LE5900, and a great place to start tweaking to personal taste.

Also, I've read lots about not using the various LG picture enhancement tools (e.g. NR, edge enhancement) and all the advice seems to be to turn them off as they don't offer any real improvement to the picture. Also, lots of debating about the merits (or not) of TruMotion. I'd appreciate it if anyone would share their own views and experiences of these.
  16. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,170
    Well, it's aim is to reduce blurring and improve motion resolution, and it does do that, but, and this is the reason people don't often use it much, it does introduce artefacts and generally for most material people would rather have the slight blur as opposed to these artefacts. With trumotion on you get halos around fast moving objects, and in normal TV you can get a weird kind of smoothed over effect which kind of ruins the experience, especially for movies. Sports it can be more useful for though, seeing as motion is quite an important factor, but again, it's personal preference really.
  17. theronkinator

theronkinator Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Anyone know if it can do iPlayer over the internet?
  18. bennyvin

bennyvin Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I'm looking to buy the 42" version (£719.95 @ Richer Sounds at time of writing). I'd be interested to know how LE5900 owners have (wall) mounted theirs. I'd be looking to mount mine on floating wall on my chimney breast.
  19. theden82

theden82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just purchased and setup my new LG 42 le5900. Connecting my SkyHD and ps3, the tv reports that no signal is being received !!

Tried various setups through different hdmi ports but with the same on-screen message, No Signal..

I've gone out an bought a new 1.3 HDMI cable (tho thought my existing cable was already this), but with no change.

Is this a fault on the tv or am I doing something wrong !! ??
  20. lostcow

lostcow Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Appologies if I am asking the obvious........

Have you pressed the 'Input' button on the remote then selected HDMI 1, 2, 3 or 4 as required?
  21. theden82

theden82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :) Yeah i've tried all that. The input symbol appears black when a device is connected, but when selected the tv reports No Signal. Same with all 4 hdmi ports, and any cable.

Basically its faulty, and I've organised a return and replacement arrives tomorrow !
  22. ecuk268

ecuk268 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got my 5900 yesterday, Connected to my router and Netcast works fine. Also installed the Nero software and I can run movies, music and photos OK.

What I would like to do is use the TV as a PC monitor. On my old TV I used a cable from the s-video socket on the laptop to the RGB input on the TV.

Do I still have to do this, or is there any way that it will work through the ethernet connection.
  23. theden82

theden82 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :mad::mad::mad: Replacement for my 'faulty' lg 40le5900 arrived today, and guess what !!! Same problem !!! No signal reported !

Im so annoyed, I've tried 3 different HDMI cables. All 4 ports and various ways of connecting in different orders.

Reset the tv factory defaults, numerous times but with no luck !

The tv knows something is connected as the icon appears black, but when i select it or let it automatically select it, I get a message saying connecting up in the top left, and then the LG spinning logo appears with the words no signal.

If i have one device connected and turn it on, the tv does automatically switch over to the correct HDMI but then again to report no signal.

Devices are SkyHD and ps3.

Any suggestions ?? Very close to returning this and getting my money back and purchasing a Samsung...
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  24. neilkman

neilkman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have the 37 inch version and was wondering if any of you guys get a pop sound from the speakers when load up a ps3 game from the ps3 dashboard or when u play a blu-ray on ps3. I have read its caused by the handshake process between the ps3 and the tv the speakers pop 2-3 times then all is fine. Anyone else have this?
  25. Streethawk

Streethawk Member

Ratings:
    +5

I understand highlighting the good points, but I am concerned about the negative points from this and other reviews at CNet & Tech Radar.
    In fact the 42" What Hi-Fi review only gets 3* :0
    http://www.whathifi.com/Review/LG-42LE5900/

Ahead of my potentially swapping our faulty PS42x10 against a 42le5900, I'd like to garner current user's opinions of the set. Of particular concern is upscaling and dealing with low-data stream channels as we tend to watch SD more than anything else...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  26. kristoffer

kristoffer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    One review says good blacks and the other says poor blacks. Just shows how much What Hi Fi reviews are worth...:rolleyes:
  27. Streethawk

Streethawk Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Quite - and the same goes for user opinions, but it's useful to hear what users' opinions of reviews are!
  28. straighttwothem

straighttwothem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there this is my first post on the form so bear with me!!

i just bought the lg le5900 37inch, its really great. i had some back light bleeding due to the settings when I bought this. thanks to Matty for the settings. I was wondering if anyone has some information on what setting would be good for 1. watching the football and 2. playing the xbox 360. The sound seems ok and I altered the voice to 4 on the setting whilst I was watching district 9 on blue ray, if anyone could give me some advise that would be greatly appreciate
  29. turk3y

turk3y Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    I think perhaps it depends on what you are willing to do and what you are comparing it against.

Did they alter the out of the box settings and at least turn it to movie/cinema or leave it on eye bleeding demo/attract settings.

when comparing the black levels was it to similar edge lit lcd tv's or to reference plasmas....

I am looking at the 32" online (£499 RS), it looks good, thin so the waf is high, its full HD (might get pc use) DNLA if thats your bag and most importantly for me netcast so there is the real possibility it will get the iplayer which is what i would be gambling on. I dont expect to be blown away with the black when I go to see it in the flesh as I have oggled the latest pannys and the coveted the old Kuro's but I am not looking at a main tv, for the money they I cant see a similar TV the wife would go for? these thin tvs do have some sex appeal, I am open to sudgestions....
  30. timskemp

timskemp Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Well - I've just unboxed a 37 LE5900 and hung it on my bedroom wall. Looks very nice, bought for the slimness and the DLNA more than anything - we have a 50PK590 in the living room.

Initial thoughts - like every LCD I've seen so far the out of box settings are too over-sharpened and cold, cinema mode makes it nice though and HD streaming is great. Need to modify the antenna distribution to get a feed to the bedroom now though.

Power lead is too short - so some wiring to do as well.

Contrast is good due to the high brightness available but dark scenes show up the poor black levels compared to the plasma. Sound is almost as terrible as I imagined it would be.

Overall I like it, need to get the picture tweaked how I want it yet but generally happy so far.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1