• Invisible Speaker (10w + 10w)
• Clear Voice II
• Netcast
• Eco Flower
• Wireless AV link
• DLNA
• USB 2.0 (DivX HD, MP3, Jpeg play)
• 4XHDMI

The LG LE5900 LED TV series provides Full HD 1080p picture quality with an ultra slim design perfect for hanging on the wall as well as having built in Freeview HD, TruMotion 100Hz and access to your favourite internet content like youtube and free Skype to Skype calling, you will be entertained for hours.

The LE5900 has an estimated release date of April 2010

Last edited:
picking one of these beauties up tomorrow so will give a full story on it then... has no1 else got one of these yet..???

matty4unet, have you got your TV yet. How are you finding it? Im interested in getting this TV, but cant find many reviews about it around. I will be mainly using it with PS3 and SD broadcasts. Is the picture quality decent with SD?

Also Im quite surprised why this TV is out of stock almost everywhere.

cheers
Amir

Last edited:
I believe that there has been some disruption in the shipping with quite a few of the models due to the volcanic ash clouds that have been floating around our shores. It appears that some models have been affected more than others (I expect due to some being shipped earlier than others) but it looks like this is one of the ones with problems.

I have got one and am blown away with picture quality - but you really need good source material. Only had it a day or two but poor DVB is really exposed by this set. However watching Dr Who off BBC HD (through a PC with a satellite card) the result is quite disturbingly 'real'. The images almost look 3-D.However I've little experience comparing TVs but more with media streaming....

This set might be DLNA compliant but don't think that means it will happily serve up everything off your server. As its also got the DivX HD badge no surprises it appears to be very happy with that format/container/encoder (never sure which!). However a big disappointment are mpgs (ripped DVDs or SD DVB telly) which are never displayed at the right aspect ratio and are always 4:3 in 'Full' mode. 'Original size' is the right aspect but of course very small on this full HD set. it's not the streaming as such either since its the same story if you put the files on a usb drive and plug that directly into the TV.

Because I wanted 32in (not bigger); LED; and FreeView HD I still think I bought the right set. Streaming/usb connectivity was a bonus but not one that's delivered for me. Shame!

Hiya... i like my set but i dont know if its worth 820 quid.... the blacks just arent as black as i had hoped in the dark and from any kinda angle the picture gets brighter... im clever and iv played with all the settings and contrast and backlight and all that jargon... also the trumotion aint as good as on sony's my mums sony LCD is better to be fair and hers is bout 650 and 40".... i think edge style LED is a bit pants compared to the full screen LED type, but they are far more expensive... its thin tho and great to show off to yer mates and watching during the day is great, connectivity is great, DIvX play by connecting a HD that is NTFS aswell as FAT32 is great, unfortunately sound plugins seem to be the issue... quite a few vids havent worked sound wise but u cna hear it... so not much good. but im being picky, i think all tv's wqith this feature miss off a few codecs.. u cant install onces either and im yet to work out how to upgrade the firmware.... the menu system is very smooth and fast... this is where it beats my mums sony which seems to be powered by a 486 processor... ps3 looks awesome and the advanced feature is awesome... u can change anything... i will put up some suggested settings for day and night play of films... thing is i spend most my time watching films or have the curtains shut and when u watch a dark film iv always wanted a tv where u cant even see the outline of the screen and sadly this ISNT it... i thought 5 million to 1 contrast would do it.. think i must need bout 15 million to one going on this set.... BUT it is still a good tv.. if it was 600 quid id be buzzing my tits off but there are better high end LCD without LED that i think are better.... and they need to have wireless recievers... my router is downstairs so cant comment on netcast although it looks like u can get youtube, bbc iplayer and the weather channel... but i dunno bout ought else cos i cant try it :-(

Any questions feel free to ask peoplesssss

o and sorry dont get fooled by wireless AV.... it IS NOT wireless internet its just sum technology where u can have other AV devices that dont need wires.. guess if u have it on a wall its good but cant see point... dunno what DNLA is so cant comment on that either... i forgot to say freeview HD is great but i do live right near to emley so we get perfect reception here... iv heard its rare to get that so freesat might be best for you... but i get perfect reception on every channel and thats bout 90+ tv and loads of radio....

thing is i spend most my time watching films or have the curtains shut and when u watch a dark film iv always wanted a tv where u cant even see the outline of the screen and sadly this ISNT it... i thought 5 million to 1 contrast would do it.. think i must need bout 15 million to one going on this set....

First of all you shouldn't pay any attention to the contrast ratio, it's a meaningless number and is just a trick used to make people buy their TVs, every time a certain brand quotes a certain number another one will come along and beat that, but there wont actually be much improvement in black levels. If you want a TV where you can't see the border with the lights off completely then the closest you'll get is a Pioneer 9G Kuro, even then, in darkness you'll probably see them most of the time, but with some ambient lighting it disappears completely. You're deffinitely not going to get those kinds of black levels on an LCD TV, and especially not an edge lit LED TV which are the weakest performers in terms of black levels!

hi I have just bought and installed one these in 32" on my wall, I thought that i would be able to wirelessly connect to the internet and also my NAS to watch my videos wirelessly - but I dont think it can do this without a USB dongle, but there was none supplied and I cant seem to find where I can buy one?? any help guys? Thanks

hi I have just bought and installed one these in 32" on my wall, I thought that i would be able to wirelessly connect to the internet and also my NAS to watch my videos wirelessly - but I dont think it can do this without a USB dongle, but there was none supplied and I cant seem to find where I can buy one?? any help guys? Thanks

Have got in touch with LG and will let you know when i hear back!

And in the meantime, here is a review of the LE5900 from What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision. It got a 4 star review, being complimented on its “bags of features, with DLNA and NetCast; Freeview HD; stylish design”.

Full review here

I have had the 42le5900 for a few weeks... love it!

With that said, the calibration modes (cinema, game, sport) seem pretty rubbish.. would like to see some calibrations done by users.

But overall nice picture quality, slim, backlit remote, plays anything (ANYTHING!!) off usb... a good buy. Gaming is great also

I have had the 42le5900 for a few weeks... love it!

With that said, the calibration modes (cinema, game, sport) seem pretty rubbish.. would like to see some calibrations done by users.

But overall nice picture quality, slim, backlit remote, plays anything (ANYTHING!!) off usb... a good buy. Gaming is great also

I would challenge your plays anything quote....VIDEO wise il give ya but i find most H264 HD films dont work due to sound codecs not being available, i had a samsung 37C650 and that played more sound codecs... u shud be able to upgrade, iv yet to find a way to do that on this LG, when i first connected to the internet it did say looking for firmware upgrade for a second at the top then disappeared, shud be an upgrade via USB feature...and LG shud make upgrades with new codecs on cos there are so many and new ones all the time.

ALso id like to say the modes it comes with are OK but yeah they want playing with and iv also found when playing this tv at night in the dark watching a HD Film i can recommend these settings for Movie mode best play:

Backlight: 0
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 60
Colour: 50
Tint 0
Colour Temp: W40
Dyn Cont: Med
Dyn Colour: Low
Cl White: Off
Skin Colour: 0
Noise Red: Med
Dig Noise Red: Med
Gamma: High
Black Level: Low
Real Cin: On
Colour Gam: Wide
TruMotion: Low

Hope that helps, does for me anyway, pull it to bits all u wish.... but for no lights curtains drawn pitch black film viewing its the best i can get outta this tv.. and tbh it is awesome.... my mates have agreed also....

Well, I have just got one of these (32") and I am really pleased. Bought it with the Freeview HD receiver built-in (perhaps they all have this?).

Freeview HD not available in my area until 2012 so now using the HDMI up-scaled output on my Topfield Freeview PVR. This can produce up to 1080i up-scaled from the original Freeview signal.

Picture quality on the main channels - excellent! On some other channels not quite so good. I put this down to being transmitted in a lower bitrate. The up-scaler can only do so much!

Just one question:- When I switch off the Topfield, the screen says "no signal" (of course). Is it possible to set up the TV so that it automatically switches off? And switches on again when the signal resumes - like a computer monitor.

Thanks

BTW: This model was flying off the shelves at the store I went to (Richer Sounds). Not Surprised!

Last edited:
Just one question:- When I switch off the Topfield, the screen says "no signal" (of course). Is it possible to set up the TV so that it automatically switches off? And switches on again when the signal resumes - like a computer monitor.

Glad you like your TV, you're right about some channels being dodgy, it's completely down to the broacasters, some are pretty shonky :thumbsup:

Anyway, I don't think there's any way to set it to automatically switch off when the signal's gone and then switch on again when the signal comes up again, someone may prove me wrong though.

The wireless dongles aren't available YET, but will be available via places like Amazon soon!

I recently purchased the 37" model on Saturday for £699 at Richer Sounds in Hull, upgrading from an old 28" JVC CRT. I'm extremely pleased with my purchase, the picture quality and FreeviewHD are both fantastic.

I do have 1 slight gripe... It seems that my Wii has developed a "lag" when playing on the new TV, this is especially bad with Guitar Hero and has made it unplayable. I'm just using the standard Wii connector but intend to get the HD connector which hopefully will resolve this, but has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've played some games, Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 via my PC using a VGA connector at 1920×1080 High Quality with no problems, again the picture quality is amazing...

It could be brought on by some of the settings of the TV, anything which adds extra processing adds to the input lag. First of all try setting the picture preset to game mode (and adjust them to give a decent picture of course), make sure trumotion is turned off, as well as things like dynamic contrast, intelligent sensor etc...basically anything which can be off, have off. You can also label the input as 'PC' and it should turn these things off as well.

Thanks Monarch. I thought that it would be something to do with settings, as my PC (when connected) works like a dream via VGA, I'd probably expect this similar type of performance if I had either an Xbox 360 or PS3 connected. Has anyone played either of them on this TV? Is the performance good...

Another way to do this is to use an Ethernet/Wifi bridge like this:-
VONETS WIFI BRIDGE WIRELESS ETHERNET BRIDGE BRAND NEW on eBay (end time 16-Jul-10 17:52:46 BST)
Then, the TV uses the wired network port and does not "know" that there is a bit of wireless in between. The good thing about the above is that it can get its power from one of the USB ports and does not need a seperate power supply.

I haven't actually tried this yet but I am seriously thinking of getting one.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It could be brought on by some of the settings of the TV, anything which adds extra processing adds to the input lag. First of all try setting the picture preset to game mode (and adjust them to give a decent picture of course), make sure trumotion is turned off, as well as things like dynamic contrast, intelligent sensor etc...basically anything which can be off, have off. You can also label the input as 'PC' and it should turn these things off as well.

I've replaced the standard Wii SCART cable with a 3 way component cable bought from GAME (1 lead but has Wii, PS2 and Xbox connectors) , changed the input label to PC and the lag has been removed, Guitar Hero is now playable again! :clap:

If anyone is wanting to use non HD consoles on this TV eg. Wii & PS2, I would suggest that you get a component cable to remove the input lag which is present when using the standard SCART. It's done the trick for me...

Hi everyone. i'm seriously considering the 47" LE5900. it's around £1050 from the Dixons site with a voucher code.

anyone got the 47" and had any regrets on getting that big a size?

Hi everyone. i'm seriously considering the 47" LE5900. it's around £1050 from the Dixons site with a voucher code.

anyone got the 47" and had any regrets on getting that big a size?

If you have the space for a 47" and can watch it at a comfortable viewing distance, I say go for it. If you are a movie lover or a home cinema fan then large is the way to go. And if you hook a large TV up to a high def source or a competent upscaling DVD player, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it.
Unfortunately the one downside with bigger TV's, especially LCD, is their ability to make standard def broadcast material look quite poor, especially with bad broadcasts and low bit rate transmissions. It's swings and roundabouts, as they say.
I can't comment on the 5900 ability as a TV but it should be more than capable, at home user level, of providing a satisfactory picture. And the tweaking options on a LG are second to none. Hopefully an owner will chime in here and give an educated/experienced opinion.

Like I say, if you can accommodate are large TV, do so.:smashin:

Thanks FruitFly. I had a look at the demo loop in Currys and they show Sky Sports HD, and intercut it with SD Sky Sports. I angled the TV and stood about 3 or 4 metres away from it, and I have to say, the SD football clip that was on looked absolutely fine, with the HD obviously looking crisper.

I will eventually have a Blu-Ray player, and am looking to buy an Xbox 360 in the coming weeks; those are the main reasons i'm going for the 47 over say the 42 or 37.

I may have even considered a 50" but they don't do it in that size, and 55" would just be too big.

I have a lot of SD content built up over the years and the quality of SD-content picture is my main worry when considering TV size.

another point is that it only has Edge LED, as opposed to Full Array, and without true local-dimming (there was a sticker on it that says it has something akin to local dimming) the blacks are never going to be truly black. anyone found this to be a problem, or do you just get used to it? or is it not really as big a problem as we all imagine?

for a few hundred £s less I could get the same 47" LG but as a standard LCD, not LED-backlit, but i'm punting for LED-backlighting as they look so much "cooler" (maybe not the best reason to buy it, but hey, i like the look of 'em), standard LCDs just look so "fat" compared to LED-backlit ones.

throw in the option of 3D and there's just too much choice. but for me, i don't think there will be enough 3D content till a few more years, so although it might be future-proofing to a certain extent, i can't afford a TV in the £2000 region at the moment.

Thanks FruitFly. I had a look at the demo loop in Currys and they show Sky Sports HD, and intercut it with SD Sky Sports. I angled the TV and stood about 3 or 4 metres away from it, and I have to say, the SD football clip that was on looked absolutely fine, with the HD obviously looking crisper.

I will eventually have a Blu-Ray player, and am looking to buy an Xbox 360 in the coming weeks; those are the main reasons i'm going for the 47 over say the 42 or 37.

I may have even considered a 50" but they don't do it in that size, and 55" would just be too big.

I have a lot of SD content built up over the years and the quality of SD-content picture is my main worry when considering TV size.

another point is that it only has Edge LED, as opposed to Full Array, and without true local-dimming (there was a sticker on it that says it has something akin to local dimming) the blacks are never going to be truly black. anyone found this to be a problem, or do you just get used to it? or is it not really as big a problem as we all imagine?

for a few hundred £s less I could get the same 47" LG but as a standard LCD, not LED-backlit, but i'm punting for LED-backlighting as they look so much "cooler" (maybe not the best reason to buy it, but hey, i like the look of 'em), standard LCDs just look so "fat" compared to LED-backlit ones.

throw in the option of 3D and there's just too much choice. but for me, i don't think there will be enough 3D content till a few more years, so although it might be future-proofing to a certain extent, i can't afford a TV in the £2000 region at the moment.

I would definitely go for the 47" one if you're sat 3-4 metres away and have a blu-ray player and Xbox 360 planned. Like fruitfly said, the quality of SD will diminish with size, but with the appropriate viewing distances the difference should be negligible and I'd say that at 3-4 metres you're far enough away.

The local dimming on the edge-lit models is somewhat basic compared to the full LED backlit models as I'm sure you're aware, there are only a few zones so it wont necessarily come to much use because of the obvious limitations of only having a few zones (ie only larger dark areas can be dimmed without dimming other parts of the picture if that makes sense), but I haven't seen it in person, I'm just passing on what I read in a review here. If design is an important factor to you then obviously there's nothing more desirable than a super thin TV and while it wont necessarily offer anything much else in terms of picture quality over the standard LCDs, I don't think it should take much away from what I've read of LGs edge-lit models this year so far.

The difference in black level is noticeable between the full LED backlit models and the edge-lit ones, it's a similar difference to the difference between black levels on an LCD and on a plasma. It's hard to say how much you'll be affected though, some people notice it and others don't, the best thing to do it not think about it, but obviously that's hard now! To help with the black levels some ambient light is always good, complete darkness will bring out poor black levels, so make sure there are some lights on at least, and if you want to go the whole hog then you can get some LED strip lights to stick behind the TV which helps improve perceived depth (and they look pretty decent too from a design point of view).

There's always 'something else', full LED backlight technology, 3D etc...but you have to stop somewhere.

yeah I think I will go for this one then. and yes I always have a small lamp on when watching TV, if only to not strain my eyes by bombarding them with the TV.

it's £1499 in Currys, and around £1100 on Dixons' website, ridiculous price difference!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom