Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The LE5300 LED Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Member 300569, Mar 2, 2010.

1. wahla21

wahla21 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't find info of how I install the latest firmware from usb on my 47"!

Pls help
  2. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all....

Found this thread while searching the net for info on the LG475300 LED TV and was interested to read that some here have found this set good and others have been a little dissapointed :confused:

I have just reserved one of the 47" sets from Richer Sounds but it seems this TV is made with two different panels ie VA & IPS :rolleyes:

more info here: LG LE5300 How Can You Tell It's an IPS Panel? - Page 2 - AVS Forum

More info on VA v IPS: YouTube - IPS VS VA

Today I spoke to richer sounds on the phone and asked if they could clarify which panels they had in stock but they said there were not even aware of VA v IPS panels (find this a little hard to beleive) so was wondering if anyone else has purchased from Richer sounds and got the IPS panel screen? if so what was your code on the box?

If I get this TV I don't want to get the VA version as I'm guessing these are the inferior models that some are saying the picture is not soo good, so any advice appreciated
    :lease:
  3. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just emailed LG UK asking if there was a code on the box stating if the panel was VA or IPS before buying, or if they can tell me which serial number code maches the IPS panels?

Response:

Dear Sir,

thankyou for your e-mail,

the serial, model and product number are sitauted on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Kind regards

LG Customer services

Most Helpfull :suicide: :rotfl:
  4. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    email response from Richer Sounds, not really telling me what I need to know either, buying this TV seems a bit of a gamble :confused:

Quote:

I'm afraid this is impossible for me to confirm from here, I can confirm that all our stock is UK specification and sourced from LG themselves - should you have any fault issues with the screen please let us know and we'll do our best to help - please do take note in store of our returns policy however.
  5. wahla21

wahla21 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my 47" from Richer Sound and i am very happy with the picture. Super HD picture and also good in SD
  6. simonprr

simonprr Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Me too, but I got mine from Currys.

Can't you go into Richer Sounds and have a look at it in person, it seems like the VA panels are more obvious because of the bad viewing angle.

Maybe we should start posting serial numbers to see there is any correlation?

Or, buy online and if it's bad or turns out to be a VA panel, return it under the distance selling regulations :rolleyes:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. wahla21

wahla21 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my 47" from Richer Sound and i am very happy with the picture. Super HD picture and also good in SD
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1

Yeah I'm wondering if I'd be better buying online then at least I could return as you suggest, LG doing two different panels for this TV sucks!

Anyone here who knows their TV is indeed IPS perhaps could post up a serial number to see if there is indeed a link?
  9. SamB09

SamB09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    According to a comment on this video IPS panels have 'W' in the serial number. Just checked mine through the menu then pressing red for customer support and it does have a W so i guess i have IPS. I have the 42" version and the pq is brilliant on hd.
  10. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Did the box have the serial code on it can you remember? Richer sounds did say the serial number contained a W but I'm not fully convinced, they have reserved it for me till saturday so will go into the store and try to find out then, fingers crossed :smashin:
  11. SamB09

SamB09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't get a box because mine was the last one they had which was the display model. The serial number can be seen on the tv though.
  12. ruerric

ruerric Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought this tv from amazon and is extremely satisfied with this.
    One thing I noticed is when trying to watch shows with subtitle(anime), it does not read out the subtitles embedded into the video file.. Aside from having to fetch a separate subtitle script, is there any way to activate the subtitles?
  13. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1

No probs :smashin:
  14. jpr141

jpr141 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Guys regarding a 47inch it's impossible for them to have VA panels as you cant get 47inch VA panels they dont make that size. :)
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  15. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  16. simonprr

simonprr Member

Ratings:
    +24
    That's good news, how do you know this?
  17. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep.. I'd like to know the same :rolleyes:

I can't beleive how B****y hard it is to find out if this TV is VA or IPS! you think that contacting LG support that they would at least be able to clarify either way!

Going to potentially buy this TV tomorow and right now I'm tempted to say stuff it and just stick with my current LG 42" (which i'm very happy with) not sure if they will do it, but might even insist they take the TV out of the box and let me see it switched on, very unlikely but worth a try I guess.
  18. jpr141

jpr141 Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Just read info from here and other forums and the lcd matrices thread on here. You can not get VA panels in 47 they do not make that size but maybe someone else on here will clarify this also. :)
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  19. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can confirm today I collected this TV from Richer Sounds and it does appear to have the IPS panel, viewing angles from both sides are good and touching the screen doesnt leave a white imprint as with VA panels.

I can also confirm that after having the TV on for the last couple of hours the image quality doesn't really blow me away TBH, infact the image from my (2 yr old) 42" LG 42LG7000 set is sharper, and the sound was also better, yeah it's a big screen and it's nice and bright but IQ is pretty average, hoping after using it for a while and tweaking the settings I will be happier, so bottom line is... it's an OK TV but nothing spectacular in all honesty.

Here is my product code showing the "W"

[​IMG]
  20. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Further to my comments yesterday, gotta say I'm just glad I didn't pay anymore than £699 for this TV (Richer Sounds cheapest I could find it) the sound from the speakers is really dire and why the heck have LG used a shiny screen instead of a matte screen? :rolleyes: sitting in the same position as I did with my previous TV (couldn't see a single reflection) on this TV I can barely see the screen during daylight for reflections, can't beleive this hasn't been covered in any of the reviews for this set?, (major flaw for me)

Maybe I'm fussy.... but this TV is very average in comparision to other TV's I've owned, IQ on standard def is very average and soft, HD IQ is accepatable but certainly no better than my previous set, have messed around tweaking the settings with the picture wizard but to be honest I have just reset it back to factory defaults as skin tones were crap, anyway time will tell but for now have to say I'm a tad dissapointed.

I guess the trouble is when upgrading your TV you have high expectations, so onece I get over the intial dissapointment I may feel a little different after a few weeks use :D
  21. penguinpoppers

penguinpoppers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there.
    Just got the 47" screen from richersounds yesterday and the serial number has a W in it. I used the picture wizard to set it up and afterwards it just needed a little fine tuning.

I have to disagree with the last post as I found the image to be crystal clear. I am pretty much only using this TV for playing blurays/dvds/ps3 and the picture is much better than any of the other TVs in this price range.
    For watching SD channels it isn't too impressive however, but like I said this isn't an issue for me as I don't watch too much TV.

As others have already pointed out; a TV as slim as this was never going to have great sound as there simply isn't enough room for good speakers. Again this isn't an issue for me as I have everything connected to my surround sound.

For gaming I cannot notice any delayed input time or lag and playing online seemed as responsive as always.

I haven't had any problems with juddering or blocky images since I switched trumotion off but I have noticed the LED light bleeding onto dark backgrounds as others have mentioned. It isn't very distracting as it disappears once content of any colour is being shown, but during any loading screens for example when the screen is entirely black you can't help but notice it. Annoying but not enough for me to return the set.

Overall I am definitely glad I got this TV and for £699 that's a great price. For anyone who has surround sound and would be using it for HD content mostly it is perfect.
    If you have any questions/requests please ask.
  22. liamhere

liamhere Member

Ratings:
    +0
    said there is one, but i didn't want to download at that time
    now i can't find it in setting to do now and it won't pop up again.......help anyone
  23. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As I said it's an "OK" TV... I'm comparing mine to previous sets I've owned, HD content is OK but certainly no better than my previous TV!

I agree £699 is a good price but I only know of richer sounds selling it this low? Certainly wouldnt be happy if I'd bought it from Argos for £1199.99 (correct as of 7/11/10) Buy LG 47LE5300 47 Inch Full HD 1080p LED LCD TV. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . would definately be returning it at that price, I pity anyone who pays that much for it!
  24. mushviper

mushviper Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, How did you update your TV with this firmware? I downloaded and unzipped the firmware update file, then copied onto a USB but when i connected the USB to the TV it did not register the file?
  25. drjetty

drjetty Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a 32LE5300 LG TV from Richer Sounds for £399; it’s a birthday present for my son to play his Xbox and PS3. Reading this forum and looking at the serial number I fear I may have a VA panel rather than an IPS type, which by all accounts the IPS gives a superior picture and viewing angle. Will the difference between panel types be very noticeable when used for gaming, or will it ok bearing in mind that he will be looking straight on at the at the screen. The TV is unused and still in the box as it is not his birthday until the 25<SUP>th</SUP>, should I take time out and return the TV to Richer Sounds to change it for TV with an IPS Panel.....:confused:
  26. lexus2011

lexus2011 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

i just got today the LG 42 LE5300 (made in Poland) from a local on-line store and at the first impression everything seems to be OK with this set.

SN: 010WRHN63865
    Firmware: 03.03.11

I attached some pictures taken with my phone.

Kind regards.

Attached Files:

27. CometUK

CometUK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is anyone else having lip sync problems with this TV? really noticable on HD, never had this with my previous LG set, had this TV over a week now and not feeling any better about it :rolleyes:
  28. stender

stender Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am having problems, I posted in this thread quite a few pages back but didn't get a solution.
    If I play a avi file via usb plugged directly into the tv the audio will go out of sync with the video after about 15-20mins. I have tried 3 different pen drives and a 2.5 hard drive and all suffer the same sync issue.
    The same avi's play fine on pc.

Really disappointed and regret buying it.
  29. Petedonacek

Petedonacek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I'm afraid I can't solve any of the problems showed here, but indeed I can add one more...
    First I must say that the support of the DTS mkvs files is random. I have movies with that format played from the usb that play perfect, and some others with the same format that don't...it seems a bit strange.
    About the problem I can add, maybe there is someone who can come up with a solution.
    I have a home cinema with just one entry, one SCART. So I have plugged the TV SCART to the Home cinema SCART. When I'm seeing the TDT, it sounds ok in my home cinema set, but if I change the source to the USB, in the home cinema I listen to one of the channels of the TDT....I have not been able to use the home cinema to listen to any movi played by the USB...does someone have the same problem?
    Thanks guys...
  30. Petedonacek

Petedonacek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...and sorry for my english....