Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The KEF Blade Thread

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Gixer1970, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Some times words are not needed, this is one of thoose moments :smashin:

Just going to re read it.

Alan / Gixer1970
  2. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,471
    If I had to sum up what the Blades are about, rather than reading waffle, I'd say this:

That probably sounds a little underwhelming as a summary, but it plays such a major part of the end result of this loudspeaker, as does the 'single apparent point source'.
  3. Member 639844

Member 639844 Former Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,134
    See what happens when your bass isnt limited to one small corner of the room. On top of that, I consider the bottom 200 hz to make half of the sound you experience (an uber sub can make even ordinary systems seem very very good), and I would see the mid/tweeter to bass driver ratio a recognition of that. Elements of the blade design make perfect sense to me :thumbsup:
  4. jason shep

jason shep Member

Ratings:
    +249
    The cluster of force cancelling bass drivers on the sides makes so much sence,having built a bass system myself with opposing drivers i have experienced how little energy is transferred to the supporting structure/cabinet.

I would love to see this concept carried over to the reference series with smaller cabinets for those of us who already have adequate bass systems :thumbsup:
  5. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    I'm sure we will at some point Jason - fingers crossed.

There's virtually no cabinet resonance on the Blades. I thought I felt it vibrate when I was playing Massive Attack's Mezzanine, but then I realised that it was the room that was shaking, not the speakers! :laugh:
  6. jason shep

jason shep Member

Ratings:
    +249
    I know that feeling very well,my infinite baffle bass system is mouted in the room obove & if i go in that room when some low bass hits it feels like the floor ripples & the air is squeezing you tight all around your'e body, but if i put my hand on the baffles supporting the eight 15" drivers its totally vibration free :smashin: :D
  7. Owen824

Owen824 Active Member

Ratings:
    +197
    wow, i thought the q900's were big but those are some tall speakers! how much is a pair of these costing?
  8. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    As I mentioned earlier though - who uses the space above their speakers? It's only really depth and width that's the worry for most people.

In one of the many colours KEF offer, they're £23,000, and in standard gloss black or gloss white, they're £20,000.
  9. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    Whats the chances of being able to have a listen to your AE based IB system?

Ive setup and heard an Fi based one, and would love to see how they compare.
  10. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    3K for a paint job :eek:
  11. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    A special paint job :)
  12. danoliver1

danoliver1 Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Its special acoustic paint that makes the blades sound just that little bit more expensive. ;)
  13. jason shep

jason shep Member

Ratings:
    +249
    Sure you can,i'm off out now but i'll pm you tomorrow & we can work something out :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Although you can pretty much have any colour you like. Hand made (in the UK) to order :)

One manufacturer charges virtually 100% for a special finish.
  15. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    Do they do literally anything? I can imagine paying 3K for some pearlescent job etc and no doubt the finish is perfect.

re: the IB. Where abouts in the UK are you, hopefully no too far.
  16. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    The Sorbet finishes are a little pearlescent, and the Racing Blue and Racing Red, I think - not too sure about those two, would need to check.

How about a leather pair? Or a fluffy pair? You think they'd make them? :D
  17. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    £3k for a totally bespoke colour on a set of speakers is fair I think for speakers of this design and quality, its choosing the colour thats the mind boggle beleive me as so many things to consider long term as I have said before these are a speaker for life one would hope and long term interior design has to be considered. What colours are in now may not be in 2 - 5 - 10 - 20 years ect and if god forbid they were to be sold, colour and resale value also needs to be considered.

Worst case at a guess is they could possibly colour changed later on down the line if needed.

Alan / Gixer1970
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  18. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    I wont argue with you, and if thats the cost then thats the cost. I still think its a lot when we both know the cost is in the paint and then a machine will simply paint it etc.

If I had 20k to spend on speakers though, then the extra 3 wouldnt even be in question anyway. I guess I have the perspective of a northern working class bloke that hates throwing away left overs :laugh:
  19. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    I know what you mean Alan. For me, it was between Garnet and Sapphire. I think I'd rather have a black/white room with hints of red (like the Garnet) rather than a room with hints of blue, so I toyed with just going straight black, as this goes with everything, and should for any reason I need to sell them, black would be a more saleable option. But then I just though, 'sod it, I'm going to buy the colour I want'! I don't think it'd matter what colours are in or out, as people tend to decorate in they colours they want. It's only those that follow fashion that I think would really worry about future trends.
  20. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    It's not just a case of spraying them the necessary colour. I'll double check with the rep, but he told me that the because it's glass composite, the colour is also mixed in with the basic materials, so it's not just a case of mass producing cabinets then spraying them. They're ordered in the colour that's required, and then finished in e same colour too, and obviously a lot of buffing/finishing, which takes man hours. Because of this, I was told that if they scratch, it doesn't show up as badly as most cabinets because the colour is embedded. I may be wrong, but that's the info I got :)
  21. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    Yeah I can imagine the process, and with high end finishing mixing the paint before hand is a skill in itself. I know how hard it can be to get a perfect finish and know there will be a lot involved in getting a custom coloured finished cabinet. Those blue ones do look the business though I must admit.
  22. Wavod

Wavod Member

Ratings:
    +61
    You're so busted Alan. I know you're gonna stay with KEF and anything but Blade will be a let-down!! :D I look forward to seeing your next video update on YouTube.
    P.S If I'd have had the cash at the time your Q900's would have been mine :facepalm:
  23. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Not sure if I have a problem....

While listening to music on them, I find myself walking up to them occasionally and touching them. I'm notnsure whether this is because I'm still impressed by no cabinet resonance, or just that I need to touch them every now and again :laugh:
  24. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Touching, very touching. I hope theres no finger prints on them now.

Gloss Blacks also off the list, the list is getting shorter unlike the not so short list for other equipment.

Alan / Gixer1970
  25. Jules

Jules Active Member

Ratings:
    +341
    I'd like to hear the Blades out of curiosity. I bet they're stunning.

However, my once active AV hobby has pretty much died...so I'm flogging my Q900's, and unlike others here they are not being replaced.

Can't deny though that if KEF ever made a version of these Blades at about half their current size (or less), their sheer beauty might draw me in.
  26. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I don't think what size this guy is holding will reach production, would be great for the downstairs toilet !

KEF Blade- Design - YouTube

Alan / Gixer1970
  27. Member 639844

Ratings:
    +1,134
    I have moved my 5 main speakers on as well and am now down to a small 2.0 system and an AVR with a sub and nothing else. It pains me to do that but needs must and I have no idea when any of it will get replaced :(

Did he just say the cabinets are made from fiberglass though?
  28. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Narrowing down the colour list is a good thing :)
  29. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,471
    Just thought I'd post up this interesting pic from the owner's manual, showing a basic, exploded view of a Blade loudspeaker.

[​IMG]
  30. Gixer1970

Gixer1970 Member

Ratings:
    +114
    Had some visitors today .....

Some of the flickr pics are going to be posted here soon unless you do. Others do need to see them I think. The Twin Towers pic had a response of "thought they were alot bigger" ! ! !

To be honest from seeing the concept pair last year there not that big as long as you have already owned pairs of fairly large floorstanders, it just becomes the norm which is a tad worrying, may be I have a problem.

Alan / Gixer1970
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011