1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The judder issue

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Yukikaze, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

To preface: I seem to be very sensitive to juddery images. I traded two plasmas in. The latest models are great, but the picture is juddery, shaky, unstable, not just in pans or quick camera moves either -- all the time. The image is almost 'nervous,' and not very comfortable to watch.

My question is: which entry level projectors (or brands) have the least amount of judder, preferably without "Intelligent Frame Creation" type modes?

Thank you!
  2. SteveCritten

SteveCritten Active Member

Ratings:
    +642
    sounds like you are very sensitive, I would just go and demo as many as you can. What you will see I probably wont.
  3. Riz_Mini

Riz_Mini Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Hi there,
    I think your probably referring content recorded in 24/25/30 frames per second?
    I don't suffer from being sensitive to this kind of content but I am very aware of the frame judder, having got a new Optoma HD33 project it can eliminate this issue using its PureMotion4 engine, I also know that my cousins Panasonic VT20 also has a processor to remove judder.
    Have you tried a Panasonic Plasma, if so enable the TrueMotion engine (not sure what its called) and see if it makes a difference.

Riz :)
  4. Yukikaze

Yukikaze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct.

Believe TrueMotion is something LG (and possibly others) use. Panasonic has its own set of modes, none of which present a particularly pleasing image.

Thanks for the advice, guys, guess I'll have to simply try a bunch of projectors and see which one doesn't make my head scream. :D A shame seemingly no (cheap-ish) projectors have 48 or 72fps modes. Believe that's how they solve flickering, possibly judder, in theaters. I suppose there's a slight difference between a film print and a Blu-ray, though...
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    JVC projectors display 24p at 96Hz IIRC. However, they still have issues with motion which effects some more than others (never bothered me on my old HD350). I did own a Panasonic AE3000 briefly which had 2 modes (I think, maybe 3) of frame creation. The lowest one was pretty good and I left it on for all film viewing. The newer models have this (or perhaps an improved version) so might be worth looking at, though it's a shame to give up a better black level of the JVCs due to a motion sensitivity, it might be the compromise you need. There is a cheaper 2D only model I believe for under £2k that is the descendant of the model I used to have.

You could pick up a used AE3000/4000 for under £1,000 in the classifieds if the new prices are out of reach.

Haven't been on here for a while as I've just got back from holiday, but good to see the devore/contrast thread is onto part 2 now. Worth a read for any projector newbe.