Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Howling Collector's Edition Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by The News Bot, Jul 7, 2013.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot News Supplying Robot Staff Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Fans of The Howling, get your teeth stuck into this! There's plenty of meat to chew on here!

Please note that this review is for the US Blu-ray release of The Howling from Scream Factory, and is encoded for Region A.

As any horror fan can tell you, 1981 was the Great Year of the Werewolf Movie. Michael Wadleigh's awesome Wolfen may not have actually boasted wolf-men running about their New York hunting ground, but it's terrifying atmosphere and adherence to Indian shape-shifting mythology and pack of genuine lupine stars puts the film firmly on the furry map. Low-budget horror auteur Larry Cohen uncharacteristically fumbled the ball when he brought us the howling japes of Full Moon High, though. But, most famously, this was the year that saw the two modern classics of the genre go almost snout-to-elongating-snout at the box office in a rip 'em up riot of contorting bodies,...

Read the full review...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
  2. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I had the Spanish Blu-ray which I sold in anticipation for this one, because I was disappointed by how desaturated the colours were when compared to the way I was used to seeing the film. I must have watched The Howling at least 15 times since its release. This is particularly noticeable in an early scene when Dee Wallace enters the LA sex shop. The shop was lit in a lurid red, but on the Blu-ray it was a pale salmon pink. I then noticed how they had dialled down the colour red throughout the film. This used to be done for VHS and sometimes DVD, which couldn't cope with the extreme red/blue contrasts which this film features (a popular look in films of the early 80s) but it shouldn't be necessary for an HD presentation.

Then I read in other reviews that the US Collectors Edition uses the same transfer as the European version did with some commenting on the desaturated colours. It's probably OK for people who aren't too bothered about these things, but for me fidelity to the original colours and lighting design is essential.