Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hobbit Trilogy - Use [Spoiler] Tags

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Tequila Sunset, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Ratings:
    +84
    No, no 'silly' poems...but plenty of teeth grindingly poor attempts at injecting Mr Jacksons idea of 'comedy' into the story...:rolleyes:

I like the films and appreciate the incredible effort made in their construction, but for me the written word wins everytime!
  2. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
    Neither, Ripley is my own name, although I do love the Alien films as well.:)

I don't feel there is any cohesive structure to the events in the Appendices to make them into a well structured story. They would be just be a series of events artificially joined together and filled with made up narrative and things that simpy would never have happened in Tolkiens own words. As much as I want to see these events put onto film from a Tolkien's fan point of view, there simply isn't a traditional story there to attach them too. Tolkien's narrative makes the films great, you take that away and you could end up with a disaster. I have grave doubts over this 'bridging film'.
  3. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton New Member

Ratings:
    +649
    This is a bit strange. New Line obviously just have to pay up, how does it end up in court? Late payment surely does not "Go DIRECTLY TO COURT, DO NOT PASS GO!" Yes.. it could be the end of The Hobbit, but I presume a quick payment just solves the problem.
  4. crimsoneagle

crimsoneagle Member

Ratings:
    +83
    I agree tossing of little people.... lol
    :rolleyes:
    could be work imagine uwe bolls LOTR... :rolleyes:
  5. crimsoneagle

crimsoneagle Member

Ratings:
    +83
    too much money is at steak it will work out greedy new line is at it again...
    when will the studios learn......
  6. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,942
    because they want to keep the money i assume and have tied up the legal wranglings with loopholes, if they signed a contract with the 'trust' for the first 3 films and not got paid shows how selfish and greedy newline are, considering they made $6billion.
  7. Shoka

Shoka Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Slightly off topic, but, didn't tolkiens son own the rights to the hobbit, and said he would never sell them?
  8. crimsoneagle

crimsoneagle Member

Ratings:
    +83
    money might have had a thing to say about it.....
    or I could be wrong
  9. Urien Rheged

Ratings:
    +528
    J.R.R. Tolkien sold the film and merchandising rights for The Hobbit to United Artists in 1966.
  10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J Active Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I don't understand why New Line have such a hard time divvying up everyone's share of the cash when there's such a big pile of it, there's more than enough to go around. Why does everyone end up having to sue them?
  11. aprout

aprout Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    Probably because New Line doesn't have a huge pile of cash anymore. They haven't had a box office smash for years. Wasn't there a rumour at the beginning of the year that they were about to go out of business?

Still, if you're gonna give $20million to Chris Tucker for Rush Hour 3, you deserve everything you get. ;)
  12. fasterthanjesus

fasterthanjesus Member

Ratings:
    +0
  13. Shoka

Shoka Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks for putting me straight :D
  14. Spacecat

Spacecat Member

Ratings:
    +77
    Unbelievable! how much did Jackie Chan get $30 million!
  15. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,942
    This is pretty neat production. Created by Lord of the Rings fan Chris Bouchard, for fans.

The Hunt For Gollum; a 40 minute independent film inspired by The Lord of the Rings which is to be released to the internet for free on May 3 2009.

Trailer

If trailer fails, or for background information on film, see official site HERE

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. wokeye

wokeye Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I hope it's not as boring as those overrated Lord Of The Rings films. I really like Pan's Labyrinth and The Orphanage, but I think I will give this a miss. Then again I really liked Bad Taste and Braindead, but LOTR and the King Kong remake :boring:
  17. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,942
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  18. Urien Rheged

Ratings:
    +528
    Del Toro's 2nd Hobbit movie may well contain some of the story of Aragorn's capture of Gollum I would imagine.
  19. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,942

Latest news is Aragon may not have any part in the new films.

Without the bridge movie to LOTR, there seems unlikely to be any return off any LOTR characters, including Aragorn. Unless they do a third part. But i cant see them abandoning the idea off weaving The Hobbit onto LOTR, im sure somewhere in the 2hrs 30mins off the second film they will find some space.

For much more from Jackson and Del Toro on their plans for the return to Middle-earth, see the 20th birthday issue of Empire, on sale next Thursday (23rd April)
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  20. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,331
    That would be Champion(s).

:D
    Bri
  21. The Snake

The Snake New Member

Ratings:
    +183
    and what a rehearsal it was:suicide::rolleyes:.
  22. The Snake

The Snake New Member

Ratings:
    +183
  23. Urien Rheged

Ratings:
    +528
  24. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton New Member

Ratings:
    +649
    The Hobbit book is far more interesting than the LOTR book. More action, faster paced. The movie should be better than LOTR for fans of action.
  25. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,942

Trailer 2

26. johnno15

johnno15 Member

Ratings:
    +19

My friend Ade plays Aragon in this film it looks amazing any one who hasnt should check the trailers out:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  27. Urien Rheged

Ratings:
    +528
    Latest In-Depth HOBBIT Movies Discussion from PJ & GDT
    From EMPIRE MAGAZINE, June 2009 20th Anniversary Edition

Here's some highlights from the interview:

Have you decided what the second movie will be?

GDT: We've decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur. Specifically, the two movies will comprise the book.

PJ We expanded out the universe a lot more, so that we weren't just staying with Bilbo and the dwarves on their journey, as the book pretty much does. We started to expand some of what's happening to Gandalf outside of that journey...

GDT: A bit of the backstory...

PJ: We do cover some of the events earlier, like Thrain (dwarf king) Thorin's father, and we're sort of fleshing out TH and expanding it sideways, up and down. We just decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everythging into one movie. The essential brief was to do TH and it allows us to make TH in a little more of the style, if you like, of the trilogy, too.

GDT: To make a movie of TH that didn't go over 3 hours...

PJ: You would be rushing along...

GDT: You would be losing iconic moments. The animated version avoids Beorn, who is a great character, and some people always feel that you should lose the Spiders, or this or that. We wanted to keep every iconic moment that was in the book and give it some weight.

PJ: We've done a lot of things we hope Professor Tolkien would have approved of. We've taken events from the Hobbit and integrated them a little bit more into some of the broader themes that show up in LotR. BUT we haven't made TH any less of a fun, young, fairytale-adventure mix.

GDT: As in the book, the story starts at a more innocent point in Bilbo's life. He goes through darker, stronger stuff in the second part and at the end of the journey he has seen the darker side of the world. I think the whole point of it is his journey, not only to a place but back again, and how that transforms him. That will stay.

How are you going to handle the dwarves...

GDT: (answers with a paragrah about the role of the dwarves - valiant, brave, funny, sometimes tragic and moving - will make them 3-D characters phsically and dramatically)

PJ: We're going to choose five or six, pretty similar to the ones that Tolkien spends a bit more time on in the book, and develop some quite interesting relationships between them and Bilbo. We don't want them to be just Thorin plus 12 comedic sidekicks.

Article also discusses introduction of Bard, and the fact that Bilbo is largely unconscious in BO5A:

GDT: That's one of the idiosynchrasies, that from the get-go, I said, "That's one of the ones that we need to keep!" It's so unexpected. I think we're talking small tonal variations that are very beautiful. For example, unlike in the Trilogy, where monsters were not often articulate, in TH it's part of the book that trolls have very lengthy conversations. there are other idiosynchrasies that would not find themselves at home tonally in the Trilogy. But we are moving the notches a little bit.

PJ: We're developing a lot more character and personality in the villain side of the story, too. We are having to deal with Sauron a little bit more specifcally in this; how exactly he manifests himself and what form he's in, and that is ultimately going to lead into what he becomes in the trilogy...and what he has been in the ancient past.

"...the design team - John Howe and Alan Lee - have been here intermittently. Now they're going to be here very soon - for a long, long time. Mike Mignola is coming, Wayne Barlowe is coming. So we're going to be full force on the design team with about six or seven new artists, starting a few weeks from now."
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  28. raigraphixs

Ratings:
    +8,942
    The Hunt For Gollum - finished
    The completed 40 minute independent fan film is online for viewing.

Small...Large

29. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Impressive for a low budget work. Lovely use of locations and costumes and some suprisingly nice effects work. Kudos for a very clever way to involve Gollum without several million dollars in animation!

Rather a shame then that there is very little in the way of story and the pacing is leaden. The fight scenes are all rather Buffy and badly edited too.

Still, top marks for having the will to go out and try it!
  30. Urien Rheged

Ratings:
    +528
    Guillermo Del Toro ‘Very Close' To Annoucing Bilbo Baggins Casting For ‘The Hobbit'

MTV Movies Blog » EXCLUSIVE: Guillermo Del Toro ‘Very Close' To Annoucing Bilbo Baggins Casting For ‘The Hobbit'

Rumours abound on The Noldor Blog, written by a Wellington-based LOTR tour operator. He expands on Red Carpet Tours' discovery that Viggo had been in New Zealand on film work recently. A spy report suggests Viggo will be in both Hobbit movies and reprise his role as a Dunedain protecting the Shire.

http://nznoldor.blogspot.com/2009/05/forgot-to-post-rumour-and-have-just.html

"Viggo Mortensen was spotted in New Zealand - I can confirm that, as at least one of my spies spoke to him directly.

Apparently he was here working on The Hobbit, and preparing for a small cameo in the second movie when he needs to reprise his role as a dunedain ranger, guarding the Shire against passing baddies."

Recent interview with GDT:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQA0...ro-interview-from-la/&feature=player_embedded
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.