The Higgs Boson "God" Particle vs Religious Texts!

Should all religious tomes carry a disclaimer stating they are works of fiction?

• Yes - The particle now proves how the world began!

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • No - The particle discovery proves nothing!

Votes: 28 54.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do wonder sometimes where everything came from...

it is so weird to think of "nothing" then the big bang!

where did it come from? where did EVERYTHING start? so weird and makes me feel funny thinking about it.

Get used to not knowing ;)

where did it come from? where did EVERYTHING start? so weird and makes me feel funny thinking about it.

You should start a religion to try and explain it. :thumbsup:

Wayne do you not have an answer for me? :(

'fraid not, but there are some things which we can never know for sure. This is just one of them, as is whether or not there is a God.
Though some guesses are better than others ;)

You should start a religion to try and explain it. :thumbsup:

The last person who did that ended up getting banned :laugh:

Why? God surely would assume that we would all believe in him and that would be good enough for us. If we all believed in god, nobody would look for these things. So he would only put clues there for the non believers, which goes against his aim.

Why..? Everything god could do and more in any religious text we have worked out to do for ourselves....Everything that these texts have offered as an explanation for existence has been superceded by the our own efforts of thought.
Everything science and technology has achieved makes the existence of god decreasingly likely. If god knows everything then he would surely have accomodated the greatest leap in human civilizaion ever to ensure his/her continued relevance..........if he/her existed...!
I can only conclude that continued belief in the existence in god is a delusion - or god has lost interest in being 'worshipped.'

Why..? Everything god could do and more in any religious text we have worked out to do for ourselves....Everything that these texts have offered as an explanation for existence has been superceded by the our own efforts of thought.
Everything science and technology has achieved makes the existence of god decreasingly likely. If god knows everything then he would surely have accomodated the greatest leap in human civilizaion ever to ensure his/her continued relevance..........if he/her existed...!
I can only conclude that continued belief in the existence in god is a delusion - or god has lost interest in being 'worshipped.'

Improbable, yes.
Impossible, no.

Real question though...

Once we as humans understand exactly what the universe is made from and how it is held together;dark matter, anti matter, matter etc etc...

Would that allow us to manipulate things as we see fit?

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of that would be that if we know exactly how things work and interact with other things then why would we not be able to manipulate them?

I am thinking creating worm-hole tech kind of stuff.

most **** mod ever :mad:
you know everything Wayne don't let me down now...

:laugh:

I wish I did... but sadly there's a lot I don't know... But I'm fine with that.
I'm also fine with having no meaning, just being lost in the universe with no real reason to be here :p

Real question though...

Once we as humans understand exactly what the universe is made from and how it is held together;dark matter, anti matter, matter etc etc...

Would that allow us to manipulate things as we see fit?

Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding of that would be that if we know exactly how things work and interact with other things then why would we not be able to manipulate them?

I am thinking creating worm-hole tech kind of stuff.

The Higgs Boson would help us better understand mass - once you understand mass you can work with it. There's no real list of things we can do with the knowledge, but the potential is incredible.

First they just want to confirm it, the standard model predicts it and a number of other particles, and they've all been measured apart from the Higgs.

You only have to look at what our knowledge on elecrodynamics has enabled us to achieve to realise that more knowledge on mass and tying it in with what we know already could have a similar or greater impact.

Yeah, I want one of them there perpetual motion machines. I hear they're useful.

That completely depends on what it is. Knowing how it works doesnt always mean you can control it. Having said that I dont really know anything of which we know absolutely everything about.

Yeah, I want one of them there perpetual motion machines. I hear they're useful.

well jokes aside what we know now is not what we will know in 50 years time...
Same as what we knew 50 years ago is not what we know now :)

I think I am very lucky to be alive right now and hopefully will see some amazing things to come!

Magnets my friend, magnets.

trollphysicscar.jpg

well jokes aside what we know now is not what we will know in 50 years time...
Same as what we knew 50 years ago is not what we know now :)

I think I am very lucky to be alive right now and hopefully will see some amazing things to come!

Or you may be very unlucky not to live in 100 years time! They might've sorted out energy world peace etc...

Or it might all have gone to ****!

That completely depends on what it is. Knowing how it works doesnt always mean you can control it. Having said that I dont really know anything of which we know absolutely everything about.

Depends what you class as knowing. In science all we have are a collection of "best guesses", things which have been proven by scientific method to be the most accurate. You could in fact argue that we know nothing :devil:

You could in fact argue that we know nothing :devil:

Shakespeare said:
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

I know that I know nothing, therefore I am wise. No wait...

Depends what you class as knowing. In science all we have are a collection of "best guesses", things which have been proven by scientific method to be the most accurate. You could in fact argue that we know nothing :devil:

True I agree we know nothing but we're pretty sure about some things.

Question for you which I should probably know....
Superconductivity - Is the resistance zero, or just very very small?

Just realised the irony of asking a question after saying we know nothing...

The reason I ask is if it is exactly zero then surely its in perpetual motion as no force (voltage) is required to move it. This kind of goes against what I think is possible so leads me to believe there is either some resistance so small we cant detect it or that there is something else going on.

Last edited:

These 2 x 1 hour documentaries go some way in an attempt to explain vacuums and what there was before the big bang. You may find them interesting and pertinent, I sure did.

BBC Four - Everything and Nothing, Everything Is about everything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00zwndy Is about nothing.

Surprising results have seen particles popping in and out of vacuums. Appearing and then destroying itself, leaving no footprint.

Paul

We've barely scratched the surface of 'knowing' about life, the universe and everything. The beauty of science and mathematics is that everything comes down to a close approximation. Nothing is absolute.

The so-called "God" particle is just another particle. No doubt other particles will be discovered - probably some will have even more attributes than the "God" particle.

Science is a never-ending voyage of discovery...

... As is religion.

:)

True I agree we know nothing but we're pretty sure about some things.

Question for you which I should probably know....
Superconductivity - Is the resistance zero, or just very very small?

Just realised the irony of asking a question after saying we know nothing...

The reason I ask is if it is exactly zero then surely its in perpetual motion as no force (voltage) is required to move it. This kind of goes against what I think is possible so leads me to believe there is either some resistance so small we cant detect it or that there is something else going on.

Superconductivity only occurs when the conductor is cooled to or below their critical temperature (I think we're talking less then -150C here - and only in some cases) so it's not really practical for perpetual motion as the cooling is a big drain :p

Edit: ust to add, if you were talking about superconductivity being a process that goes on perpetually - we're dealing quantum rather than classical here.

Science is a never-ending voyage of discovery...

... As is religion.

Where's the discovery in religion?

Psychological/personal discovery - perhaps...

Last edited:
New Scientist did a 'special' on "nothing" recently. And miraculously a headache appeared out of nowhere while reading it. But a few things that we can be sure of include that we actually know diddly squat about 'Life, The Universe and Everything'. And the more we seem to find out, the more apparent it is that we know very little. The latest thinking seems to imply that even in a perfect vacuum, ie space that contains absolutely nothing, there is the potential for something to spontaneously appear. Physicists appear to be happy with the concept of extra dimensions, well I for one can't even begin to get my head round what an extra dimension would be like, its beyond my 3D existence experience. Time is another thing. Einstein defined it and for his theory his explanation works well. Quantum theory has another definition of time, which works very well with Q theory. But the two are mutually exclusive definitions and not compatable. But both definitions are necessary to explain 'what we already know to be true'.

So when someone asks me about God, I don't think he is a venerable old codger with a white beard, I don't think she's black, but I can't help wondering what lies beyond anything we could even hope to conceive.

So, maybe, just maybe............

And the HB particle proves and disproves nothing. IMO so i voted no.

Superconductivity only occurs when the conductor is cooled to or below their critical temperature (I think we're talking less then -150C here - and only in some cases) so it's not really practical for perpetual motion as the cooling is a big drain :p

Edit: ust to add, if you were talking about superconductivity being a process that goes on perpetually - we're dealing quantum rather than classical here.

Where's the discovery in religion?

Psychological/personal discovery - perhaps...

I know about what superconductivity is and why is occurs just have not managed to fathom the concept of apparent perpetual behavior. Not talking practicalities here. I think the highest temp superconductor is around 130k so easily achievable in space. Quantum behavior is a head****.

All I believe is something created all this, be it a god, alien, who knows, and if I believe that then I believe it created the HBP as well. I actually admire people who believe in religion because they have something in their lives that I haven't.

Ecstasy users have something in their lives which a lot of people don't, doesn't make it necessarily worth having!

I know about what superconductivity is and why is occurs just have not managed to fathom the concept of apparent perpetual behavior. Not talking practicalities here. I think the highest temp superconductor is around 130k so easily achievable in space. Quantum behavior is a head****.
Superconductivity is a property, not a thing in itself. It's quite simple: the electrical resistance of a superconductor is measurably zero. An electrical current circulating in a s-c coil will go on for ever without diminishing - perpetual motion if you will. And that current will create an electromagnetic field around it, for free.

BUT, try and use that field, and you put back-voltage into the coil, so it's no longer perpetual. However, because it's superconducting, the energy lost as heat in the internal resistance is also zero, so you can create a huge (really, really, huge) magnetic field with a superconducting magnet without it melting into slag. They are used all the time in particle accelerators, including the LHC, and in maglev trains. Lots of other uses, too, but I can't think of any more offhand.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom