1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Higgs Boson "God" Particle vs Religious Texts!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoochJD, Dec 14, 2011.

?

Should all religious tomes carry a disclaimer stating they are works of fiction?

Poll closed Dec 24, 2011.
  1. Yes - The particle now proves how the world began!

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. No - The particle discovery proves nothing!

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. PoochJD

PoochJD Member

Ratings:
    +1,916
    Hi,

I appreciate this will be extremely contentious, but hey, that's partly why I'm posting, but as we are on the verge of potentially discovering the "God" Particle - the Higgs Boson Particle - do you think that once discovered, that all religious texts should then carry a disclaimer stating that they are a work of fiction, and should no longer be classed or relied-upon as "factual documents", as the particle's discovery will prove that there is no longer any kind of "god", "almighty being", or some such, who created the world in 6 days, or any other similar kind of story?

All votes are confidential, and you have 10 days from today before the poll closes. :)

Pooch
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. MIghtyG

MIghtyG Active Member

Ratings:
    +721
    Why does discovery of the Higgs Boson mean all religion is wrong?

I'm not religious in the slightest but I dont get how one removes the other?
  3. travid

travid Active Member

Ratings:
    +603
    Ah, but who created the HBP ?????:)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,831
    And why?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Who gives a damn
  6. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +617
    Religion is not only about the world being created by some being or other, it's also about individuals and how they treat each other following rules set by the religion.

So even if it can be proven that the world we know was greated naturally thus doing away with gods, people will still seek comfort and guidence in a relegion to help them cope day to day.
  7. PoochJD

PoochJD Member

Ratings:
    +1,916
    Well, it will prove once and for all, that the world was NOT created by some mysterious super person, or god, or other almight being, or any other such individual, but by an actual scientifically object. It will thus, in my view, render all religions works of fiction/superstition, that have no basis in factual evidence, and which people should not be taught that a particular tome purports to tell the truth about the way the world began.

As far as I'm aware, almost all religious books have a story within them, stating that X individual created the world/all life on the planet, and that He should be worshipped and regaled as an Almight and important being, because of this. The HB particle will prove that there is no such thing as "God" who created the world in that fashion, thus rendering religion as a complete work of fiction.

I agree with what you say, Duncan, but if and when the HB Particle is discovered, religion and religious tomes should carry a disclaimer saying that they are works of fiction. I'm simply stating that they should not be touted around as being about any form of truth. By all means, they can continue to be indulged in by people, or taught in schools, but only on the proviso that religion is not espoused as being any form of "the truth".

Pooch
  8. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    They're all works of fiction anyway. It won't change the fact that some people choose to believe them.

After all, there's 100% empirical scientific evidence that dinosaurs exist but some people still believe they were put there to 'test their faith'.
  9. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +617
    Wrong. You will then get the god followers saying "well how did the Higgs Boson appear then? "It was gods will of course"
  10. nonumb

nonumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    No discovery will change the mind of religious people as their faith doesn't rely on scientific evidence. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence for science and no concrete evidence for religion. Discovery of a particle no matter how amazing will not suddenly make religion disappear as much as I would like it to!
  11. Sam Crow

Sam Crow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,994
    If people want to believe in a god let them ...
  12. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,138
    I've voted no, I'm on the same side as you regarding religion but I don't see that the discovery of the Higgs Boson changes anything in the slightest regarding the likely hood of the existence of God. Admittedly I feel the likely hood of the God described by the bible existing is around 0% but I don't feel I have a stronger argument to support that today than yesterday.
  13. mrtbag

mrtbag Member

Ratings:
    +404
    That's the key bit. There are lots of stories in religous books, with the majority not written to be taken literally.

I don't think it will.

If the DailyMail don't have to have a disclaimer, I don't see why the religous folk should.

Is this some form of "I'm right, you're wrong" willy waving excercise?

I'm do not practice any religion, but I have family that do. They enjoy it, just like many members here would enjoy a good sci-fi film. What's wrong with that?
  14. nonumb

nonumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    Absolutely nothing wrong with religion on an individual scale of tolerant religious people, just when you get global it becomes a huge huge issue. Its just religion taken literally makes me want to bang my head against a wall!
  15. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,282
    I don't think it will irrefutably prove anything, even to those who discover it - that's not really how science works. Its discovery certainly won't stop religious people holding their beliefs, and I'm not sure why it should either?

In other words, neither poll answer is appropriate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    The particle does not prove "how the world began"... and we know how our world (the Earth) began already...

It does however help understand mass better, which could lead to a better understanding of how the universe came about and developed.

I don't think any religious texts should carry any warnings, people can believe what they want, we can't prove God to not exist, so if people wish to believe that, then so be it. Who cares?
  17. shade_of_meta

shade_of_meta Active Member

Ratings:
    +409
    :laugh: here we go....probably best you mosey over to r/atheism on Reddit...plenty there to keep you amused!
  18. Begonia

Begonia Active Member

Ratings:
    +561
    The following questions all have something in common, IMHO:

1. How was everything created?
    2. Why are we here?
    3. What happens when you die?
    4. Has life got a purpose?
    5. Is there a God (a creator)?
    6. Is there a devil?
    7. If there is a devil, then why can't God destroy him?
    8. Where is heaven?
    9. Are there such things as ghosts?
    10. Can you contact the dead?

They are just 'questions'. But, just because they are questions, it doesn't mean to say that there are sound, solid, sensible, credible answers to them.

At a lower level, one might just as well ask:

1. Why can you see through glass if it is solid?
    2. Is there glass in heaven?
    3. Did God create glass?
    4. Is glass evil?
    5. If glass isn't evil, then is it holy - or is it in between?
    6. What happens to glass when it dies?

They are just questions.
  19. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    I'll have whatever he's having.
  20. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,831
    Make it a double.
  21. jsniper

jsniper Active Member

Ratings:
    +201
    Who said god didn't create the HB to help hinder his discovery?

In all honesty I'm not religious and think that religion is ridiculous. On the flip side to that I, like Ross Noble, will happily defend someone's right to believe in what I perceive to be nonsense. As has already been said, despite all the evidence to the contrary of what the bible says people will still believe it. Some people say it is good to have faith in something. Ultimately it is up to each individual to believe in what they believe. No amount of scientific evidence will stop people being Christians, Jews, Muslims etc. It just won't happen.
  22. BISHI

BISHI Active Member

Ratings:
    +754
    Science can always offer credible explanations for what religion proports. This does not work in the other direction.
    There are no quarks, gravity, evolution or electrons in any religious text - surely if god existed he would have known we would eventually be looking for them and slipped them in for us to find somewhere down the line...!!
  23. mrtbag

mrtbag Member

Ratings:
    +404
    Why? God surely would assume that we would all believe in him and that would be good enough for us. If we all believed in god, nobody would look for these things. So he would only put clues there for the non believers, which goes against his aim.
  24. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,686
    What about this ancient text?
    ;)
  25. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    For every explanation Science has religion has a "God made it that way" come back.

It's stupid to argue Science and faith together, they don't belong together, in any form.
  26. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I do wonder sometimes where everything came from...

it is so weird to think of "nothing" then the big bang!

where did it come from? where did EVERYTHING start? so weird and makes me feel funny thinking about it.
  27. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    Get used to not knowing ;)
  28. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Wayne do you not have an answer for me? :(
  29. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,282
    You should start a religion to try and explain it. :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    'fraid not, but there are some things which we can never know for sure. This is just one of them, as is whether or not there is a God.
    Though some guesses are better than others ;)

The last person who did that ended up getting banned :laugh: