Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The girl with the dragon tattoo

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by emthree, Nov 21, 2009.

1. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,038
    2 Weeks is about 2 years in Pincho "time". :p
  2. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    yea 2 weeks out on DVD/Blu ray and the actual film itself released here in the UK earlier this year and not to mention it was released last year YES last year in sweden.

Toss in the fact that the movie has got MAJOR advertisement for the last 3-4months.

**** holywood and its stupid remakes. im sick and tired of it. a bunch of talentless idiots. Leave this film alone for ****sakes.

If people are too lazy and stupid to read sub titles then thats their problem.

All these remakes is ******* me off:suicide::thumbsdow
  3. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    He was joking because the thread started out as a discussion about the original and now it's morphing into a discussion about the remake. I can't really see the point in starting a new thread though because people will just discuss both films regardless...
  4. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +466
    I was talking about what Pincho said, he said it had been out for ages in Morrisons when it had only been out for two weeks.

As for remakes, there is a lot of talent in Hollywood the trouble is the bottom line. This film was a very good film but for some, in fact a lot simply not accessible for the average punter. Hollywood has seen this as an opportunity to sell more product.

Why get so angry? The Swedish ones won't go away, you can still enjoy them, you really don't have to watch the American versions. Also this nothing new Hollywood has been doing this for years check out The Magnificent Seven.
  5. LanceR

LanceR Active Member

Ratings:
    +466
    Oh ok you must have an insight into the Pincho psyche that I don't, I thought he was being serious or just exaggerating.
  6. Ightenhill

Ightenhill Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Probably about 90% of the main US market then and a good % of the UK market..

TBH I'm with you though.. No point and the originals fine.. Adding major acting presence will not do this film any good, your taking to much weight away from the plot. The casting was spot on in the original so anyone else is going to look a sham..

However I was interested to see it was Fincher directing.. And that he has committed to filming in Sweden.. Obviously the Studios know (especially for the US market where the theatre release was about as penetrating as a cotton dart) that such a best seller of a book will have a lot of potential viewers for an English version.. Im quite impressed/suprised they havent gone down the road of the Vanishing or Insomnia though and totally relocated it to New England or Alaska.. But I'll reserve judgement till we see that Fincher doesn't stray from the plot and we have to start counting how many exploding bits of CGI the studio insist the film will need..
  7. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I havent seen any of the originals yet as I want to read all the books first, i'm really looking forward to seeing them from what everyone is saying.

I appreciate all the critism about the remake but for me the books feel like hollywood movies. They've just got that vibe about them, it's as if they've been written for it.
  8. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923

Everyone in the UK knows about this film. a remake wont do this country no good at all. As i have said time and time again the movie has been advertised as if it WAS a holywood blockbuster movie.
  9. prvjoker

prvjoker Member

Ratings:
    +149
    anyone else think this movie was a big steaming pile of overated pap lol?

The backstory of the hacker got in the way, killed any momentum the movie might've had. The mystery itself, well, it wasn't even a mystery tbh as there were very few red herrings or attempts to follow alternate paths...it was simply a code unlocked and voila.
  10. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    For those who enjoy following all the rumours... the latest is that Fincher has narrowed the casting for Lisbeth down to 4 - Rooney Mara, Sarah Snook, Sophie Lowe and Lea Seydoux.
  11. mudstuff

mudstuff Active Member

Ratings:
    +356
    Who, who, who and who? :) Haven't seen the first one yet, still sealed :rolleyes:
  12. Ightenhill

Ightenhill Member

Ratings:
    +44

Backstory.. You mean the main character ;) ..Remember its part of a trilogy
  13. prvjoker

prvjoker Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Yeah I know it's a trilogy and obviously she's the main char :D SPOILER: My point is the back story of the rape etc, has no bearing on how Lisbeth solves the murder, only her proclivity towards sex :D. So what is the point of those scenes? It merely delays her arrival in teaming up with the Millenium guy. It has no bearing on her talent as a hacker; it does not define her. Is there something the book they skimmed?

Basically if you remove those scenes does the story remain intact? Yes it does. So that back story is actually a complete waste of time.
  14. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

In one word, nope! :lesson:

I thought the film was good fun, and an interesting variation of the original novel by Stieg Larsson. Admittedly, the film is only the bare bones version, and misses out a lot of the actual story, (e.g. how Mikael and Lisbeth first meet; their relationship; the backstory to the hacker; the murder(s) and the criminal; Lisbeth's childhood and life, and why she hates men so much), which is a real shame. That's why the longer 180m version of the film could well be more interesting. Also, bear in mind the films were originally made for Swedish TV, and not for theatrical release!

Still, if you read the book first, then watch the film's after, you'll enjoy the film more. But it isn't the complete story as detailed in the book. :(

Pooch
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  15. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    According to Deadline there are infact 6 actresses competing for the role of Lisbeth with another testing being held on Sunday. Ellen Page and Emily Browning seem to be back in the picture despite earlier reports saying that they were out.
  16. Ightenhill

Ightenhill Member

Ratings:
    +44
    We really only learn most of Lisbeths Back Story in the later 2 books though dont we..Its a while since I read them
  17. prvjoker

prvjoker Member

Ratings:
    +149
    aha so made for t.v, so basically there were 3 1hour episodes? Well whatever made it from book to screen didn't translate very well. I imagine the books are superior (as they always tend to be when they're adaptations).

Anyway, off topic...Splice...what a pile of ***** lol! Worst film I've seen this year, right up there with Repo Men.
  18. Leumas_10

Leumas_10 Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Yeh you said earlier how much you dislike it. You must have seen a lot of top drawer films this year, if this is one of the worst you've watched.
  19. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,038
    I assume the remake is going to be PG-13, I actually found the ending to be quite creppy and tense.

@PoochJD, the first film was not a straight to tv, it was infact a a full theatrical release in sweden. You could also tell my the direction and feel of the first film looks very professional when compared to part 2 or 3.
  20. PoochJD

PoochJD Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,917
    Hi,

Just to clarify...

Originally, THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO was made as a 3-hour film, to be shown on Swedish TV, in 2 x 90 minute episodes. The result was then deemed worthy of a theatrical release, after all filming had been completed, but was edited down to a 154 minute cinema version. In Sweden, they saw the cinema version, and very soon after, the longer 3-hour edition, shown over 2 consecutive nights, as 2 x 90 minute TV episodes, was broadcast on Swedish TV, and on big-screens in some areas of Sweden at landmark outdoor events!

The 154 minute edition is what the majority of the world saw, and knows as the film. However, the film was also released and shown in some countries at festivals, as a single 3-hour movie too. This longer version, is hopefully due to be given a DVD release in Australia, towards the end of the year.

The rest of the novels, have already been filmed and completed, but are being released firstly as theatrical movies, of roughly 2-hours each. But, again, in Sweden, a slightly-longer version has been created, that can be shown as 2 episodes on Swedish TV.

The majority of the world will not see these alternate TV versions, only the theatrical, cinema editions!

Pooch
  21. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Variety is reporting that Stellan Skarsgard is in talks to play Martin Vanger in the US remake.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  22. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Robin Wright is in talks to play Erika Berger. She looks spot on imo.
  23. OnTheFly

OnTheFly Member

Ratings:
    +99
    This has a rerun at my local cinema so I saw it again last week. Apart from the 'final' ending, it still looks good. They've got the next one very soon 'The girl who played with fire'. I'm looking forward to it.
  24. Stockholm

Stockholm Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Watched the Swedish version recently and I enjoyed it. It wasn't fantastic but it was entertaining. I didn't expect it to be so dark and gritty at times, but it was a more enjoyable film for it. Will the Hollywood version be as dark?

Ellen Page as Lisbeth?! No. Ellen Page is a cutie pie and I just can't see the hatred in her that the Swedish actress playing Lisbeth was able to manifest for the Swedish version of the film. Sure, I've seen Ellen Page playing a psycho in Hard Candy, but in the TGWTDT her eyes need to be filled with hatred and pain, and I just can't see that in Ellen Page's big puppy dog eyes.
  25. CrackDown

CrackDown Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Rooney Mara has been cast to play Lisbeth Salander in the David Fincher version, anyway.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,263
    I thought the two leads were the only really great thing about the Swedish version. The film was watchable but unmemorable. It has the rather clunky plotting of the type of paperback thrillers one picks up at airports. I now wished Fincher wouldn't waste his talents on this, but maybe its one of these films he has to do to get less commercial projects of the ground.
  27. The Snake

The Snake New Member

Ratings:
    +183
    Just seen this film and I agree, it was a bit like watching the Da Vinci Code. Having not read either of the books I thought both films were watchable but did not live up to the books hype. Clunky is a good word to use to describe the film (and the Da Vinci Code).

Its no Silence of the Lambs.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  28. David 8

David 8 Active Member

Ratings:
    +370
  29. markymark34

markymark34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Cant believe this thread isnt a lot bigger, just watched this film. It is superb. Dark gritty and interesting. Love the two main characters especially Lisbeth. yes its got subtitles and that puts a lot of people off (myself included) but its well worth it.
  30. SteveCritten

SteveCritten Active Member

Ratings:
    +833
    Its just that I am dyslexic and I cannot read fast enough!