Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The FAKE HEADPHONE thread....Please read this first.

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by quidditys_shore, Jul 23, 2008.

1. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +83
    If you are getting a good seal in the ear and the bass response is still lacking then there is definitely something not right about the earphones.

I have a Sennheiser IE8 and, while I think they are great, the bass is definitely on the powerful end of the scale. They have the most powerful bass response of any in-ear I have tried.

If it looks to good to be true, it often is :mad:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Big Kev

Big Kev Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I used to have the IE8's and tinny definitely isn't a description that you'd use if they were genuine, providing you had a good seal.

I bought some IE7's off the Bay and they were fake, the box fell apart, amongst other things, dodgy logo, no visible red wire in the phones etc. Have a look on Head.fi, there's a big thread on the subject.
  3. gorezi

gorezi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, wondering if you could help me out with this, on Play Trade they have a pair of these going for 25.90 incredible bargain if real, Just wanted to know if they seem fake or not, From the picture it seems genuine, yellow text, space between the s / a on the word Auriculares and the top around the shelf hanging hole isnt obscuring the BOSE text.

Just want to get other people opinion before I make a decision, never bought from PlayTade before either, so just really want to make sure.

Cheers

Geo

[​IMG]
  4. HiFi Headphones

Ratings:
    +83
    If it looks to good it normally is! :rolleyes:

Anyone can setup a Playtrade, Amazon or eBay account. It takes about 15 minutes. There is very little accountability on these sites and there are plenty of dodgy dealers looking to take your cash. I would steer clear.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  5. baz69er

baz69er Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had two pairs of fake (senneiser cx550 style ii) from amazon marketplace, never again, just got a pair from play.com at a much cheaper price & im 99% there genuine, as for the packaging they do a good job in that department but the build quality & sound is a dead give away.

Good Luck
    Baz
  6. Member 410254

Member 410254 Member

Ratings:
    +106
  7. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Looking at this and similar posts, I too bought a pair of Senn CX550 Style II from Play.com's "PlayTrade", not knowing there was a difference between that and the regular store.
    As I didn't own an iPod til a few months back, I don't know if they are fake or legit items.
    They sound OK and the packaging looks OK.
    I can only compare them too a pair of cheap sony headphones (HPM 70's)that came with my mobile (which I thought were good) and they do sound better and louder than them, but not to the extent that some have mentioned.
    Is there really any way if I can tell if they are real or fake?
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  8. baz69er

baz69er Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i feel the same, i had a pair of sennheiser that sounded great but i accidently ripped one of the wires out & comparing them to the new ones im not overly impressed, maybe after a while (burning in) they might sound better, as for knowing whether they are fakes or not i can give you a comparison between the two.

The ones that im assuming are genuine have a hologram at the top right hand side of the front of the box, they are also glued at the top with a security seal at the bottom, the brushed crome effect that houses the speaker is metal & if you remove the rubber buds the mesh is nicely fitted & is hard to see through to the inside of the housing, ive also noticed that the magnetic door to the box has two round metal circles that attatch to the magnets, they fit snuggly into the cut outs in the box, the extension cable & extra earbuds are both in sealed bags.....

The ones that are most probably are fakes have no hologram & have two security seals at the top & bottom & can be opended at both ends without damaging the packaging, the brushed crome effect is plastic & the mesh that covers the speaker is poorly fitted & you can pick them off very easily, you can also see the inside through the thin mesh, the metal pieces that attach to the magnetic door are smaller than the cut outs & the round clear stickers that hold them in place are poorly aligned, extension cable & extra earbuds are both in zip bags the print in some places are poor & the packaging is also thinner.

Its very confusing looking at both boxes & headphones at the same time, the obvious differences are the plastic housing & the sound quality, it actually does your head in after a while wondering whether you have the real ones or not, i think they spend more money in making the packaging convinceing more than the product itself.

I hope this will help you or anyonelse to decide whether to keep your headphones or to return them for a refund....

Baz
  9. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    By the sounds of it, it looks like my box is one of the fakes.
    I was able to open it without too much damage to the seals.
    If you mean the chrome to the top back left of the box with the earphone picture one which runs down the side with "open here" on it, thats a sort of painted/embossed finish.
    I can see "metal" thru the speaker mesh very easily.
    Also, my metal magnets stick but the clear stickers are slightly off.
    I've had them for 5 months now, but will email the seller rom playtrade and ask him if he knows what are fake from not.
    By the way, I paid £19.89 for them which i'd say well reflects there sound and overall quality. May just keep them.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  10. baz69er

baz69er Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For what you have paid for them i cant see how they can sell them for that price, is the brushed crome effect housing plastic or metal? If you tap it against your teeth you will know, if its plastic then they are 100% fake, ive had a listen to the fake ones again & the sound isnt that bad, most people wouldnt notice, ide ask for a refund otherwise your just letting them get away with conning people.

Baz
  11. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    It's a bit hard to tell for me, but I think they are plastic.
    Tried the "magnets" in the box, no attraction there.
    I sent an email to the seller and will see how the ball starts rolling come the morning.
    Watch this space!!
  12. baz69er

baz69er Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will do!:thumbsup:
  13. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Looks like I'm done on this one.
    The seller is no longer trading and Play don't have to deal with it 'cause it was bought thru a Playtrade seller.
    Also, as it's under £50, can't claim thru credit card! Wow!
    Oh well.
    I got about £100 in Nectar points, I may get a pair from Amazon; unless you can advise otherwise.
  14. baz69er

baz69er Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a bummer, well at least you didnt pay to much for them, i couldnt see amazon selling them so i went for play.com £39.99 + free delivery, just make sure it is from them direct same as from amazon too, ive been listening to my music all this week & the sound is getting better so im pretty pleased with them.
  15. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Thats nice to know.
    I'm getting really curious now as to how good a genuine pair must sound as the ones I have, though "fake", sound pretty good.
    Seen then on various sites at around the £40 mark so hopefully I'll give my iPod a new lease of life.
  16. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Just ordered another pair from what I hope to be a "reputable" dealer for a shade under £38 delivered.
    It'll be interesting to see how the 1st pair compare to these ones and I'll note the differences too for any prospective buyers.
  17. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Got my new set and they are the real deal. Many thanks to Odds and pods.
    The differences in packaging and phones is very slight, but noticeable when you have the 2 items side by side.
    Mainly, at the present time, the hologram on the original is the first giveaway as mentioned by baz69er. After that it gets harder. The magnets in the original line up properly. Also, the inside plastic case fits in differently over the sticky seals, locking into the cardboard box.
    The phones themselves. You can tell these are real metal just by knocking the two together. Also they feel slightly weightier.
    The speaker mesh is different too, being that you are unable to see "through" it. The fake ones you can just see "something" underneath.
    That being said, the fake one sounded better to me, maybe I'm just accustomed to them or that they were louder.
    I may try breaking the new ones in by repeat play for a few hours.
    I wish I knew how to upload photo's to show what I mean but can't yet.
    So their you go.
  18. westbam

westbam Member

Ratings:
    +9
    As that guy says on fakeheadphones, the thing is there is no consistancy with fakes. Yours might sound good but the next guy might get a pair that sounds bad. At least with the real thing you know what sound you're getting!
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  19. HiFi Headphones

Ratings:
    +83
    Yes, it is a complete lottery if you purchase through Playtrade or Amazon Marketplace. If it looks to good to be true it probably is!

It takes 15 minutes to setup a Playtrade or Amazon Marketplace account... it's like purchasing from some guy who walks in the pub with a suitcase full of earphones!

Only purchase from a retailer you trust and who you can hold to account if things go wrong. I've heard the guys/girls at HiFi Headphones are lovely people! :)
  20. Killswitch 73

Killswitch 73 Member

Ratings:
    +134

I'm so shocked that you got an original pair from odds and pods...they sell nothing but fake earphones..i recieved a pair of fake sony XB40EX ..paid £23 for them ..and they were soooo bad ...i compared them to a piar of XB20EX i bought a year ago from play.com ..and the bass was great..but the XB20EX are known to fade and i did run them into the ground ..for 12 month i must of used them every day for atleast 2 hours..

then i seen that the 40's were much better quality than the 20's ...omg ...they were so bad....they had no bass at all ...i really mean it..they were so quiet to ..oh and the packaging was very tiny chinese import ..with not the same markings as those found in store...and all the writing was in chinese...they were so fake..

there is a thread about odds and pods on hotukdeals and nobody on there has had anything good from there...99% of people are still waiting for products they ordered months ago..

i recieved mine after 3 weeks ..and oh my god i was not happy...i knew as soon as postman gave them to me they were fake...i have since bought an original pair from play.com ..and you woulf not beleive how crap the fakes were..i cant even say they were good fakes..they were just damn right CRAP...£1 land earphones would of been worls class compared to them...!! i have since reported the company to the police...as i am not the only person having fake goods from ODDS AND PODS .
  21. JimmyMagic

JimmyMagic Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I am about to take my first reluctant step into the world of Ipods with a new 6g 16gb Nano (when i can find one).

It is commonly know that their earphones are pretty poor so I have been looking for an upgrade. I set myself a £20 budget as I tend to break stuff.

After careful consideration, I decided to go for the Klipsch Image x1's, but ever since i ordered them, all i have read about is the amount of fake earphones on the market. I was just wondering if anyone could verify the seller and product for me.

They cost £17.99 on amazon.co.uk
    The seller was Amazons Jersey Merchant (indigostarfish.com)

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Klipsch Image X1 Headphones

What do you think, will they be ok?

Many thanks in advance :)
  22. Trev S-J

Trev S-J Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ironically I had the same dilemma with a pair of faulty Klipsch Image 4 IE buds.
    I returned them to Amazon mentioning the fact that the Image 4`s were so off kilter with regard to the sound that I queried wether they had inadvertantly dealt with company offering up fakes for sale.
    Amazon were excellent in that they immediately sent out a new pair of Klipsch earbuds and also were at pains to make sure I was aware that all their stock came from a reputable source.
    I cannot remember from what Amazon marketplace store they came from unfortunately,but given what I experienced just return them to Amazon and explain your concern on the matter.I`m sure the outcome will be favourable.

Regards Trev S-J
  23. westbam

westbam Member

Ratings:
    +9
    JimmyMagic these have been a bargain on amazon for a long time, and i doubt if they're fake ... it's just a good bargain, and amazon should honor a refund if there is any problems. I rarely buy from a third party unless i'm 100% sure what it is i'm buying (CD's, Books etc). I've yet to here of fake books on graffiti art!

unfortunately there is a a lot of counterfeit stuff on the market, but i've yet to read a report on these being fake.
  24. davejames

davejames Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Yes I think your pretty safe with books ;)
  25. greycounciller

greycounciller Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Dunno what to say.
    Do you have a link to the Hotukdeals thread?
    The 2nd pair I have do sound a tad inferior to the 1st (fake) pair but going by the craftsmanship, the 2nd pair are definitely real.
    I guess even suppliers are getting duped these days.
    I've still to let this 2nd pair burn in so I'll see if they improve over time.
    I'll post back with an update.
  26. jj1234

jj1234 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I know there are countless topics about this which is why I wasn't sure which actual place to post this so thought I would start a new one, anyway..

I have just got the new Ipod touch so thought I would get some better headphones, I bought cx500's from Play.com but it was late at night and din;t realise it was through playtrade until I had paid. Now I paid £14.99 and didn;t realise until I looked deeper into some reviews that there were a lot of fakes going around, so I'm guessing I've probably just been had? It was via dealhunters, anyone got from them before? Feel like an idiot and have just wasted 15 quid :thumbsdow although I haven't actually received them yet but no full well they will be fake. So then any suggestions on any decent legitimate places to get the same phone or better ones for under 25 quid? Although I would be willing to go to about 50 quid or maybe a tad more but not too much, Just going to have to take the hit!

Are the Klipsch Image S4's decent?
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  27. ShiftyWxm

ShiftyWxm Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Why not contact the seller and inform them that you have changed your mind and no longer want the item?

As you have bought it over the internet, you are covered by the distant selling regulations which provide you with a seven day cooling off period.
  28. jj1234

jj1234 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have contacted the seller and they say when I receive the goods that they will refund me when I send the item back, although I don't believe this! Lol anyway now I know these will be fake I will buy proper this time and set a budget of £40-70, so then can anyone recommend the best in ear phones I can get for this sort of price? I'm not really an audiophile but just want the best all rounder for my new Ipod Touch.

Thanks
  29. dimmockg

dimmockg Member

Ratings:
    +55
    not sure on the sound quality but dabs have ultimate ears superfi 5's going for £35.25 - seem well reviewed on the net
  30. jj1234

jj1234 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I really shouldn't ask opinions on forums because I always go and buy the first thing I see, I have ordered the Sennheiser IE6's :laugh: thanks anyway!