Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, there's some work to do here.

What to take on a ride?

Spare inner tube
Mini-pump/Co2
multi-tool
Water bottles

All of the above should be carried in the rear pocket of your jersey. It is possibly excusable to have a under saddle bag, or to convert a water bottle to a carrier of such things. Any other type of bag, pannier rack (unless touring) ruck sack, handbag or anything else is completely unacceptable.

Food - only on rides of over 4 hours.

Further details can be found here:
Velominati › The Rules

GBDG1 said:
The Triban 3 from Decathalon is £299 and has a carbon fork. It's a much better buy in my opinion.

Why is it better?

Martin

Further details can be found here:
Velominati › The Rules

I thought that link was a joke at first but it doesn't seem to be? There are a few sensible ones in there but there's an awful lot of pretentious, arrogant crap too. I can't stand that sort of smug superiority, regardless of the sport. (Sorry, not having a go at you.)

kav said:
I thought that link was a joke at first but it doesn't seem to be? There are a few sensible ones in there but there's an awful lot of pretentious, arrogant crap too. I can't stand that sort of smug superiority, regardless of the sport. (Sorry, not having a go at you.)

Lol, I read it about 4 times and pretentious, arrogant and crap came straight into my mind too......I'll stick to my small saddle bag thanks. :)

No mate, these rules are deadly serious. If you don't follow them, you need to GTFO! :D

You can aspire to have tan lines like this:

Attachments

• Photo 12-08-2012 12 09 16.jpg
    Photo 12-08-2012 12 09 16.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 97
Ultima said:
Lol, I read it about 4 times and pretentious, arrogant and crap came straight into my mind too......I'll stick to my small saddle bag thanks. :)

I know! I'd love to meet someone who follows those ridiculous rules and just stand and laugh at them :)

Funny read though!

Lancia34 said:
I know! I'd love to meet someone who follows those ridiculous rules and just stand and laugh at them :)

Funny read though!

I've read it a few more times now and it had me for a while.....definitely a joke, I don't get it but still a joke :)

. I am hopefully off to Cannock this weekend so can give it much more of a robust work out there :D

Just got back from Cannock and the bike felt great, disc brakes are a revelation. I just found myself sticking to the lines and so much more confidence into the corners as I know the brakes are just going to respond when needed, the super tacky front tyre probably helped as well. Got some great air in fact I had that much confidence I even tried a black run and then wished I hadn't :rolleyes: confidence can get you so far but then balls and skill take over and sadly I was lacking a bit in those departments looking down what seemed like a sheer drop over rocks :eek:

The short stem is great for descending and fast turning but a bit of a pain for steep climbs as you just end up wheeling everywhere, but I will keep it for the benefit of the descents :)

Just got back from Cannock and the bike felt great, disc brakes are a revelation. I just found myself sticking to the lines and so much more confidence into the corners as I know the brakes are just going to respond when needed, the super tacky front tyre probably helped as well. Got some great air in fact I had that much confidence I even tried a black run and then wished I hadn't :rolleyes: confidence can get you so far but then balls and skill take over and sadly I was lacking a bit in those departments looking down what seemed like a sheer drop over rocks* :eek:

The short stem is great for descending and fast turning but a bit of a pain for steep climbs as you just end up wheeling everywhere, but I will keep it for the benefit of the descents :)

* best upgrade I ever spent was upgrading myself :D
£60 on a skills day will be a revelation in terms of confidence and 'new-found' ability.

GBDG1 said:
It has a carbon fork, it isn't yellow, it's £30 cheaper, it weighs 1kg less, it looks better...

The Carrera TDF is a £300 bike.

The Triban is a similar spec to a £400 - £500 bike, but sold for £300.

Sold out at stores near me!

Martin

kav said:

Most of it is fair enough some is just damn banal

* best upgrade I ever spent was upgrading myself :D
£60 on a skills day will be a revelation in terms of confidence and 'new-found' ability.

:thumbsup: what a great recommendation, off to search for a skills day that teach you how to go hard and fast, that is just what I need for more downhill sections :)

:thumbsup: what a great recommendation, off to search for a skills day that teach you how to go hard and fast, that is just what I need for more downhill sections :)

Is hertfordshire too far?

There's a guy on bikeradar.com that goes by the name of 'jedi' who is supposed to be damn good.

website here: UK Bike Skills Ltd | The Very Best In Progressive Mountain Bike Coaching

Not used him myself but many on bikeradar have and he gets glowing reviews. Whoever you go with you'll not regret it :smashin:

I need another myself TBH. I'd love to be able to do proper drops and jumps but I've not got the right know how and am too old to learn by the 'school of hard knocks' these days.

I got my bike goodies through this weekend and was delighted to get my 12 year old Trek back on the road. I put on a couple of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - heavy things but they get great reviews - and various other bits and pieces to get it into a state where it works for commuting. I also picked up a Garmin 200 so took it out for a spin this afternoon to try it out. Just in case anyone's interested, you can upload all the details of your ride to the Garmin site and you get some cool little graphs etc - perfect for the geek in you to pore over.

The first screen here shows the stats for the ride - I managed to (just) break the speed limit on a road near home, got up to 30.5mph. Can't wait to try some proper hills. :devil:

204635-albums374-picture12212.png

The second screen is from the "Player" part where you can play back your ride and a tracker shows your speed and elevation at any given point along your journey.

204635-albums374-picture12213.png

There's quite a lot of other stuff it can do, I'm glad I forked out for it now, it will be a nice way to keep myself motivated by trying to beat previous times etc.

Nice one Frank, you just have to live up to the kit now :D

I was pleased today, managed to average over 18mph over 50 miles around the pennines, which involves some pretty serious climbing. Having a break of a few days made the world of difference, and I only came off the big ring once or twice.

I was also impressed with my nephew, 6 years old and managed over 30 miles today.

There's quite a lot of other stuff it can do, I'm glad I forked out for it now, it will be a nice way to keep myself motivated by trying to beat previous times etc.

Sign up to runkeeper and i'll add you as a friend, you can sync it with a garmin device and also track other activities (inc indoor etc)

I got my bike goodies through this weekend and was delighted to get my 12 year old Trek back on the road. I put on a couple of Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres - heavy things but they get great reviews - and various other bits and pieces to get it into a state where it works for commuting. I also picked up a Garmin 200 so took it out for a spin this afternoon to try it out. Just in case anyone's interested, you can upload all the details of your ride to the Garmin site and you get some cool little graphs etc - perfect for the geek in you to pore over.

The first screen here shows the stats for the ride - I managed to (just) break the speed limit on a road near home, got up to 30.5mph. Can't wait to try some proper hills. :devil:

The second screen is from the "Player" part where you can play back your ride and a tracker shows your speed and elevation at any given point along your journey.

Strava.com is a great way to log your Garmin data. You can compare how you do on certain sections of road vs other riders. It can be motivating and quite competitive. I love it.

+1 for Strava - great app, helps push you a bit harder to beat your own previous times and other Strava users around you

for sure - Strava is brilliant to track stuff but also keep you motivated to go faster!

On The Garmin 200 can you pre plan a route via waypoints?

i have a walking Garmin GPS which i can do this (which im using on the bike) but i always like a new gadget :D

Strava is very good!

just noticed they do a free iphone app too:thumbsup:

it's very good but using strava to track your cycles works well but by all accounts kills the battery. You can use any Garmin 200/500 etc as well and just upload once you finish.

:smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom