the championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's ever been said that the Glasgow teams cannot join the English system. The question is, why would they want to? They both have virtually guaranteed qualification for the Champions League, plus imagine the crazy travelling distances to games. Swansea and Cardiff is one thing, but Glasgow?? The only teams remotely close are Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro.

Well well all this resentment from some posters!

Thanks for all the congratulations, even from our big brothers up the M4 ;-)

We have been here, along with Cardiff, Newport, Merthyr, Colwyn bay, in the English league. Where was all this "geographical" questioning then?
Premiership, all of a sudden, we are being questioned. Ask us 99 years ago, we could have had an argument. "It's a question of geography " what a load of tosh! Racism? Possibly not, why, after all this time? Is a question I would ask!

PS. Thanks for all of your congratulations, again!

Awww has he gone? I was interested to see his comeback after having his questions (he wrongly answered himself) rammed down his throat! :D

I don't think it's ever been said that the Glasgow teams cannot join the English system. The question is, why would they want to?
It is not in dispute they are too big for Scotland. The fear is that ironically the dominance of the OF might be their downfall if another 20 years of SPL dominance results in fans being turned off. Equally if nothing changes on the commercial side there is no chance of them progressing in Europe. Surely the ambition is higher than turning up for the CL group stage to make up the numbers? I know there has been UEFA/Europa Cup runs but that competition hardly matters anymore! Not like in the days of Maradona winning it

What I do think though is that if the OF want to come to England (when England does not want them or their fans) then they should start at the bottom and earn the right to get to the top, as the Welsh sides have done so for a century. Their fan base might be better than many Prem sides but that does not give them a right to waltz in and jump past the FL

I am fully confident the standard of football of the OF would be championship maybe, more realistically league one. Be careful what you wish for as the saying goes

What I do think though is that if the OF want to come to England (when England does not want them or their fans) then they should start at the bottom and earn the right to get to the top, as the Welsh sides have done so. Their fan base might be better than many Prem sides but that does not give them a right to waltz in and jump past the FL

I am fully confident the standard of football of the OF would be championship maybe, more realistically league one. Be careful what you wish for as the saying goes

Yes I agree with that. I don't want either of them in but if they did come in then they would have to start at the very bottom like AFC Wimbledon had to. It's not even fair of them to come in at League 2 level as that would mean 2 other teams would have to make way for them.

He's forming up another reply as we speak, getting some ideas from the "Premier League supporters book of cliches" :)

It's funny how he's the only one to come out with this, when all of my friends and people on sites I read have welcomed them to the division. That covers Liverpool, Man Utd, Villa, Sunderland, Arsenal fans, plus everyone on here.

Good points there Steve. I suspect there would be a vote to see what division clubs want them allowed into. I'd say it's very unlikely they'd start from the bottom. Not saying they shouldn't, as it would be unfair if they didn't, but I just cant see it. Good points about Europe too, as they'd make a lot more money from the Prem if they got there, which can obviously help and give them a better chance of doing something notable in the CL.

I can't see it ever happening though, travelling would be a nightmare for all fans, players, staff, etc, be it going up there, or them coming down. Especially so if they are put into some random regional league at the bottom of the pyramid, they wouldn't wanna go to games.

The following is a direct from a Welsh rag. Proves that the ignorance extended to Swansea's Rise to the PL, is in no way exclusive to some of our English cousins. At least you have an excuse!

MOD COMMENT...just insert a link rather than a slab of copyrighted text which I then have to remove...thanks.

That bit about the pitch is just taking the proverbial! At least, on MOTD, you will see our award winning pitch every other Saturday.
Pity our stadium is smaller than some, but we are still a relatively small club and in the black ATM.

Shocking quote that is. The pitch at the Liberty is excellent. Even if it was just a football team playing on it, it would be good, but considering the egg are playing on it as well, it's amazing how they keep it at that quality.

It's all very well these rags talking about expanding and blah blah, but the average attendance was 14k last season. Yeah ok the big games will easily sell out, but what about the smaller games or cup games? And what if they get relegated? It's pointless, better off building the fanbase gradually over time. Plus the fact that the stadium is actually owned by the council, so SCFC or Ospreys cant do anything to it anyway.

Message to Swansea fans - just ignore all the crap being spouted and enjoy the Premier League :)

Cheers John, going to be great, the days of watching at the Vetch with about 500 other swans fans hopefully never return:D
Signed a deal with Adidas, all seasons sold out, going to be a great season, Jacks on Tour.

Thanks John, nice one!

travid said:
The following is a direct from a Welsh rag. Proves that the ignorance extended to Swansea's Rise to the PL, is in no way exclusive to some of our English cousins. At least you have an excuse!

MOD COMMENT...just insert a link rather than a slab of copyrighted text which I then have to remove...thanks.

Oops! my bad.

Billy Davies has been sacked and Forest are supposedly in talks with Steve McClaren about the job.

JohnG said:
Billy Davies has been sacked and Forest are supposedly in talks with Steve McClaren about the job.

Can't say I'm surprised by this news, Billy did himself no favours being so vocal about the lack of £££ support plus there has been silence from the City Ground since the end of the season. Having said that, he's done pretty well with Forest since he arrived so I would have given him another year.

Time will tell about McLaren (if he gets the job that is) .... I just hope he's given some money for a decent left back and a prolific striker

BBC Sport - FAW to share disciplinary powers with FA

:confused: If hypothetically Swansea did something in their debut season in the Premiership that warranted some sort of investigation, then what on earth has it got to do with the FAW who run a completely independent league? Hypothetically

Steven said:
BBC Sport - FAW to share disciplinary powers with FA

:confused: If hypothetically Swansea did something in their debut season in the Premiership that warranted some sort of investigation, then what on earth has it got to do with the FAW who run a completely independent league? Hypothetically

Steven, I can say with 100 percent certainty that ALL Swansea fans would want to be with the FA and not the FAW. The FAW have treated Swansea with absolute contempt over the years. Eg extending red card bans after appeal to 5 games. They are the original "old farts"

Ex Derby boss Davies sacked by Forest

Ex Forest favourite Tyson signs for Derby

Ex Derby coach McClaren looks poised to sign for Forest

I guess we can look forward to another couple of quiet meetings between our lots again this season :D

Steven, I can say with 100 percent certainty that ALL Swansea fans would want to be with the FA and not the FAW. The FAW have treated Swansea with absolute contempt over the years. Eg extending red card bans after appeal to 5 games. They are the original "old farts"
That's by the by. I can understand the unique circumstance of individual football associations within the United Kingdom in the global context of Fifa (for or against depending on your side of the fence), but why does the FAW retain a voice in disciplinary proceedings concerning teams playing in a league under a different association? It is not that much of a stretch to say the French FA should be involved with Arsenal or Ivory Coast FA to be involved with Chelsea. If say your Welsh club and your English club are hauled before the docks. Will a different standard be applied? They will say no but undoubtedly having a representative from a different association must be bringing a different agenda

Completely nonsensical as one can only assume they really would have nothing to do without those breakaway clubs (not as if the national team is up to much)

Ex Derby boss Davies sacked by Forest

Ex Forest favourite Tyson signs for Derby

Ex Derby coach McClaren looks poised to sign for Forest

I guess we can look forward to another couple of quiet meetings between our lots again this season :D

Indeed! Mind you Tyson only impressed me in short bursts, I don't think he's the finished item, although I will admit he's fast.

Steven said:
That's by the by. I can understand the unique circumstance of individual football associations within the United Kingdom in the global context of Fifa (for or against depending on your side of the fence), but why does the FAW retain a voice in disciplinary proceedings concerning teams playing in a league under a different association? It is not that much of a stretch to say the French FA should be involved with Arsenal or Ivory Coast FA to be involved with Chelsea. If say your Welsh club and your English club are hauled before the docks. Will a different standard be applied? They will say no but undoubtedly having a representative from a different association must be bringing a different agenda

Completely nonsensical as one can only assume they really would have nothing to do without those breakaway clubs (not as if the national team is up to much)

Swansea City have chosen, many years ago (1921)to play in the English pyramid system, along with a few others. The FAW have always had their control over us and since the early 80's (approx), we were excluded from the Welsh cup, therefore excluding us from qualifying for European football. I have no idea why they still exert any control over us. In the case of SCFC being in the Prem. The situation becomes even more complicated. The different agenda you mentioned will, on past evidence, will certainly have a detrimental affect on us.

I trust your you're little snipe at our national team is said in jest, simply because 1966 seems an awful long time ago!

I trust your you're little snipe at our national team is said in jest, simply because 1966 seems an awful long time ago!
It was a swipe at the FAW, maybe badly worded :blush: Have nothing against Welsh players, teams or fans. Thanks

It was a swipe at the FAW, maybe badly worded :blush: Have nothing against Welsh players, teams or fans. Thanks

No problems Steven, I certainly meant it only as banter mate:D

The FAW, as you have probably gathered, are not popular with Swansea and if we could be free of them, at any level, it would not be soon enough:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom