Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The big switch to Sky all details logged!

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by golden phoenix, Aug 30, 2011.

1. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    This is the thread I've got over on Sky forum - http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Bro...-engineer-visit-not-needed/td-p/191269/page/2

You can follow that, I'm going to do morning / nightly tests for the next 10 days and update the Sky thread with them. But I'll update this thread with major things that go on as well.

I was thinking that maybe if nothing changed by Monday that I ring them up any way while still inside the 10 period?

:)
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,592
    They won't do anything until the testing is finished. Keep an eye on your MySky and it should say when your testing is complete and what your line has been set at. That's the time to ring them if it's still low.
  3. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Ratings:
    +757
    Well, I've been with Sky for just over a week and had nothing but problems with my router - on three occasions it's needed resetting (my old wanadoo livebox needed this done once in 6 years), and last night it went off (Sagen 2504n? the internet light is solid orange) and has stayed off. I'm assuming this is not normal and I've got a dodgy router.

Will be phoning Sky later but has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,401
    no you should have 4 lights all green, orange indicates that there is a problem somewhere, get on the phone to sky first though it could be something simple..plus they can run tests at there end!
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  5. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Ratings:
    +757
    I've never had 4 green lights - only 3 - power, wireless and "@" - I've only occasionally seen the tick sign when I've had to switch off/on the router.

Have posted on Sky's forums and will see what happens - I'm at work now so can't do anything at my end, hopefully I can narrow down the problem before getting home tonight and spending 40 mins on hold before speaking to anyone...
  6. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,592
    After the wireless problems were sorted with a firmware update a few months back, I pretty much never have to reboot my router.

Last I looked it had been up 2000+ hours.
  7. Paul_T

Paul_T Active Member

Ratings:
    +757
    Well apparently my internet is now back up but cant check until I get home. I should point out that the issue has been down to an equipment failure inside the exchange so the finger pointing may be equally aimed at BT.
  8. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Right on the phone to Sky the woman has found a fault doing one test and while doing another she's found a major fault. Which indicates that there is a problem close to the property. Said she will escalate it for an Openreach engineer to come out which has been ordered and I have a tracking number for.

She is currently doing a speed test to check out the line and this attenuation problem that's going on. She said it could be due to the fault but obviously isn't sure.
  9. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    DLM hasn't started yet on my line, she said they were trying various settings a profiles but couldn't get any more than 1 mbps. But she said my line should be capable of a lot more (obviously!) Anything higher it just kept dropping out.

She said because of the fault on the line they can't really do anything more about this line attenuation problem until that fault is sorted out. Once that has been sorted and if the broadband speed doesn't increase / line attenuation is still this high then they will raise it with CST to look into it.

Oh and apparently there are 2 phone lines coming from our house to the exchange... my Dad obviously hasn't told me this! So we've probably been connected to the rubbish line or something. Uchhh.
  10. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Just had a text saying my line fault has been fixed, so these are the router stats at the moment.

Hopefully Sky will start DLM right away and my speed will hopefully shoot up. Doesn't seem to be any noise on the line either now, which is good. :)

[​IMG]
  11. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,401
    some news about my order...my £70 cashback from 24.8.11 sky order is due to be paid 1.1.11

i rang sky with some queries...my 6 months half price was never implemeted to my account, i had to ring 4 times to get it sorted..this has now been done (fingers crossed) and will be applied to my account from next month...

i aslo rang sky hd and said i wanted to cancel my subscription..they have applied a 25% discount for 6 months to my sky tv account..

one other issue in regards to billing guys..you will have to pay a month in advance when you bill finally arrives!!

i had to pay this months bill/ amonth in advance/ and a little more as the period between..i never paid anything the month the phone and bb got installed but the following month at a whopping £112

for tv/bb/phone i was not happy i can tell you, but ringing sky is free from a sky phone...but all the phonecalls have now paid off. so keep an eye out!
  12. av-irgin

av-irgin Member

Ratings:
    +12
    First off,this thread is a really good read and glad to see everyone's move has gone well.
    I created a MySky account today to track my order and I'm little worried now. I ordered by phone on the 27th October and was told the phone would switch in 10 days and broadband would be active upto a few hours later. But tracking my order today says the phone will be up on November 14th,but the broadband is still processing.
    I went to the help forum just to check everything was as it should be,and was told I could be waiting for 14 days after the phone line goes active until the broadband was activated.

Did any of you track your orders? And if you did,did you have a broadband activation date before your new phone line was live?

Oh and zAndy1 did you change to the gamer profile? Your speeds look great!!
  13. interbear

interbear Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Credit to Sky from me.

Already have the full TV pack with them, decided to switch my phone/BB from TalkTalk to Sky as well - mainly to get unlimited BB and the Sky Anytime+ capability.

My experience of the switch was very positive. All done online, cashback via quidco, good communication from Sky throughout, wireless router arrived and the switchover day happened exactly when they said it would. Now up and running, no issues at all, speed seems OK thus far (3 days in). All of this took about a fortnight.
  14. Clatter

Clatter Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Same here, but I've got free phone and BB for year as well. I always do my upgrades by phoning in, you won't get any special offers if you do it online.

Have to say the whole process was very painless. I'd been considering it for a while, but was worried about having service problems during the switch. In all the interruption was no more than ten minutes and the service has been 100%.
  15. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,362
    Everything has been fab since I switched to Sky, better speed than talktalk (settled down at 15MB/s) , just got the quidco cashback as well for switching which was £110 :)
  16. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,401
    finally..happy days for you Andy ..my sky has been rock solid since the switch and its good to see after all your initial problems you have it all sorted..cashback feels good too!!!:smashin:
  17. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Suppose I should still get mine sorted out. Might do it tomorrow...

Their website now says this, which I don't think it said when I first signed up.

Really want to get BT fibre to be honest. :(