Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The big switch to Sky all details logged!

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by golden phoenix, Aug 30, 2011.

1. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,433
    hi all,

i thought id log my full detailed switch over from beginning to end..as there seems to lots of mixed posts...i am not connected with sky in anyway, and just your average joe bloggs, who wants to get a good service. i did have details in the switching from sky to talk talk thread, but i thought it derserved some individual coverage and might give people some ideas of what to expect (although i realise that individual stories vary from person to person. the great thing is its current (unless of course you are visiting this thread a year down the line :laugh:

i will come back and update this first post so it will change. but feel free to post comments or ask questions.

finally took the plunge last night, since sky now have there N router! fingers crossed everything goes smooth, expecting 70 quid cashback from quidco, also got 6 months half price, expecting the mcfee free for 12 months, and hopefully a decent speed as im LLU with sky and i live in the next street to the exchange...i will report back on this thread when the transition takes place! (had to pay £39 upfront as TT were LLU and I want a new number aswell, sky are also LLU at my exhange

current ISP Talk Talk (LLU) out of contract ( just to point out i recd a download speed of 19.5 kbps from TT

timeline: ordered 24.08.11 @ 9 pm via internet, including discounts via quidco (as above)

24.08.11 - given estimated speed 12.5 - 20 mb - order accepted, no mac code required

25.08.11 - new phone number provided - changover date provided 9.9.11( information recd via text/email) all updated on my sky and order tracking information. (currently TT LLU) so new line.

26.8.11 - decided to ring sky, to check my order against what they had on the computer at sky HQ..
    good job i did - 6 months half price was NOT applied to my account, so this was applied whilst i was on the phone, also advised that a wireless N router router was sent 24.8.11 signed for package. forget about anytime +, to get anytime plus wirelessly i need a wireless box from sky at the cost of £60, obviously this is a no no, so will have to attemp t to blag one at a later stage...or hardwire my router and connect to pc wirelessly (which im not looking forward to trying to attempt to do, as im not really a pc man!)

26.8.11 received email from talktalk confirming they have had notification that i want to change providers, luckily im out of contract with them so no fees there, but of course there will be a changover final bill, must remember to cancel DD with TT

29.8.11 cancelled my talktalk DD, but expecting a final bill

30.8.11 router delivered at 8.00 am by parcel force (signed for) Wireless N Router received (sagem 2504N !!! boxes are silver on top and black on the bottom and look like mini sky boxes

contents in box: router (wireless 2504N / powerlead/ 2 micro filters / router stand/1 ethernet cable / 1 adsl cable, full easy to read instructions for self set-up/and install cd

31.8.11 received letter from sky to confirm switchover and also supplied with a generic email address

1.9.11 recd a letter from talktalk, saying i could receive a £10 charge if i cancel my DD with them before the final bill, so beware folks! had to re-instate my dd, but should not be subject to any other charges from TT, other than my final bill.

7.9.11 Talktalk offer a "loyality deal" to stay with them...i say thanks but no thanks...

9.9.11 D Day - lets see what happens...my next post should be using SkY BB

9.9.11 phoned switched over without loss of service/bb came on an hour later (although i was told they have up to midnight...easy set up, no problems whatsoever...(fingers crossed)

9.9.11 - speed 3500 kbps download - upload 500 kbps

12.9.11 - speed 5500 kbps download - upload 602 kbps/ ping 66 ms

17.9.11 speed 7072 kbps download - upload 668 kbps /ping 63 ms

19.9.11 speed 9070 kbps download - upload 763 kbps /ping 56 ms

test period finished 21.9.11 RESULT

21.9.11 speed router speed and set up 19996 kbps ( i have a wireless set up to my pc so the speed dropped to 16,700 kbps/ upload 1m/ ping 39

these speeds were achieved i think because of the info below,not sure what they would have been had sky not rang me?

but i received a courtesy call from sky, the operative asked me to remove the faceplate on my main phone socket, i plugged my router into a hidden test socket behind the faceplate (via micro filter) he stayed on the line and configured things at skys end. and upped my speed.

he also went into the sky menu system by typing your ip address into the address bar which brought up service menu's ..he also told me to experiment with the channels 3/6/8/9/11 currently set at auto..to get even greater speeds than my 16700 kbps if my pc was wired id be getting the full 19996 kbps, with may a little loss so say about 19,000 to 19500 kbps

so the process hasnt been an akward one for me...which i have monitored from start to finish for the benefit of everyone else (and myself) i hope everyone else's runs as smooth as mine...lets hope i can now get my speed up as promised.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. Thug

Thug Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Not trying to go off topic, but why dont you hard wire your PC too?
    Just buy a long LAN cable.

I am thinking about leaving my modem plugged into the master socket and having long LAN leads to my smart TV, PS3, SKY and PC.

Hope your speed is near to estimated. I only get 2.4Mbps with an estimated 6.5Mbps with SKY.
  3. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    my pc is in the bedroom, and obviously all my equipment is in the living room..and i dont want to have a cable running from the bedroom to the living room..i believe you can chain routers together and i dont want to do that either.

i know the very basics of setting up a router, and this seems like the best solution, to get anytime + and have stable online gaming and firmware updates for my blu-ray player...

just wondering how much the wireless card or usb will cost me and which ones are compatible with the sky router?

anyone (ive decided im going for the usb adaptor) so compatible recommendations please! im after a reliable wireless n adaptor capable of up to 300 kbps , so to future proof myself a little

currently im looking at this

netgear 3100 usb wireless n network adaptor

edit: all decisions have been made regarding set up after a day of recon!
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  4. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    i get the impression your Router is on an extension? if so that's probably reason you get a lower speed.
  5. Thug

Thug Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    It is (ADSL cable), but i have also tried it straight into the test socket with the supplied cable off SKY (using my laptop) and it made no difference.
  6. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    but if your line is configured for the speed you get on the extension then even if it could run faster the exchange equipment would be capping the speed.
  7. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    am i right in thinking that if i got 19.5 kbps wil TT that i should get exactly the same with Sky? and can you change you email address anyone know?

wireless adaptor on its way!
  8. Thug

Thug Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,083
    Sky told me that they capped it at 8Mbps, but said that it was actually connecting at around 4Mbps.

The BT engineer arrived today and used his testing equipment.
    He stated that he was getting 6.4Mbps with a noise db reading of 4, at the test socket and slightly less on my extension (around 6.2Mbps). He said i should be able to get about 10Mbps quite comfortably.
    Yet when i plugged in the modem i was still only getting 3.3Mbps.

I have ordered up a new N speed router off Sky as that is the only thing that i guess it could be and the only thing that was different between the engineers and my tests.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  9. eob

eob Member

Ratings:
    +199
    I am at EXACTLY the same stage as you are just now.
    Have an activation date of 12.09.11.

Now I am very much a pessimist, and I actually expect problems with the switchover.

I also live right on the edge of town and am lucky to get 2Meg with BT at present, so will be interested to see my speeds with SkyBB. (Although I was amused to see that my speed has dropped to 0.5Meg since I got the "Sorry you are leaving us " text.)

I'll watch your progress with interest.

Cheers,
    Ed.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  10. MartinMiller

MartinMiller Member

Ratings:
    +249
    My switch from BT to SKY went without a hitch, all up and running for around 10 am on date of switch:smashin:

martin
  11. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    hope mine goes without a hitch! fingers crossed!
  12. jonden

jonden Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I am changing phone and bb from talktalk to sky. Received letters today saying phone will be switched on 13/9 and I will then lose tt broadband. Sky bb will then be up within 2 weeks. Wife is no too happy to say the least as she needs to access for work emails, why can't bb be switched over on same day as phone?
  13. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    I suspect the Talk Talk line is a 'fully unbundled' line which means they 'own' it and changing providers means they have to effectively cease the line meaning it's without any provider. What about a mobile PAYG Dongle or ask a neighbour nicely for their wifi pw if you're on good terms?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    hello all its my switchover day today 9.9.11

i have a fully running broadband and phone switchover without a hitch. the phone just switched over without loss of service..my bb just came on a few hours later.

i had a wireless n network adaptor, so it was a question of pushing the wps button on sky router and then pushing it on the adaptor and Viola.. found it straight away...

im on a smooth 4 meg which is standard and i have to keep my box on or 10 days whilst they test the line....my minimum is 8 meg i have been told , but my predicted is between 12 - 19.5 mbps

TT rang again to offer my a loyalty bonus, just before switchover. when i plugged my router into sky, it sent a message to sky to put anytime plus on..which should be on in the next 24 hrs...

my star wars boxset turned up today so its been great...

i just have one question though..i need to increase from 54 mbps second transfer to a higher one but dont know how to do it? any ideas?
  15. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Do you have any wireless g equipment at all? If so then you'll never get n speeds as the wireless will drop down to g to support your oldest device.
  16. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    yes my old router, was wireless g which is now disabled..so i need to check 2 things but dont know were to start..

1. i need to check my pc that it is capable of transmitting at a higher speed

2. i need to be able to adjust the settings.

i have windows vista, someone suggested that i may not have the software download to upgrade to wireless N capabilities , and i need to download an upgrade, so my pc has the right software to move to a higher transfer rate.

other info, my wireless router is N draft new sky router ..

my wireless adaptor is a netgear n600 wnda 3100 capable of up to 300 kbps transfer

will my router just operate on the highest option available ie wireless n? as it is backwards compatible with all the other drafts form g backwards...how do i know its not operating on g for instance, must be a way to check.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  17. DFN

DFN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Looking to make this move in October when my TalkTalk contract is up. Just a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering them. :D

Could you confirm you were on a Full LLU solution with TT, i.e both phone and broadband controlled by TT on LLU ? If this was the case Sky wouldn't have recognized your number when ordering online meaning you have to do it via address ?

You only had a couple of hours downtime with regards to broadband ? Seems too good to be true to me. Lol.

How good is your ping ? Does everything seem stable at the moment ? Finally, does the modem perform well wirelessly and is it 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz ?

Can't complain too much about Talktalk but Sky is slightly cheaper plus I can use the Anytime + service on 2x boxes ! :D

There's also the cashback etc too ! Did you sign up as a new customer or did you already have Sky and upgraded to include Broadband through mysky ? Did you receive the 6 month offer here ?

Many thanks !

DFN
  18. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,144
    Sky's wireless N Router is 2.4GHz and DOESN'T have gigabit ethernet.

If you have full TT unbundled service the line will need to be ceased by TT before you can order which normally means TWO WEEKS without service while Sky provision the line.
  19. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433

hope the above helps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  20. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    this did not happen to me. my broadband with TT was working right up to and including the time before the switchover on 9.9.11 much to my satisfaction! also i didnt need a mac code from TT. only 2 hrs of downtime
  21. DFN

DFN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Your a star Phoenix ! :D Thank you very much, helps a great deal.

I'll be signing up as soon as my contract is up, hopefully it'll all go swimmingly like yours has. Just a couple of last questions. How did you get the 6 months half price, did you also join sky talk free/unlimited ? When you called them up did you only call to ask if the offer applied ?

Many many thanks !
  22. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    i was aware of the 6 months offer, because i waited patiently for the n router and an offer so i could combine the 2 ...i was out of contract with TT so knew it wouldnt be a problem moving over...

i did sign online through my existing contract and through the quidco portal (i already had sky hd)...

so the 6 month deal disappeared when trying to sign up online (as an existing customer). however i rang them up and told them..and they reapplied to my account over the phone!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. SevloW

SevloW Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +845
    My experience with Sky during change over from BT was excellent - happened around 10am on the day of switchover.

Just a heads-up - during the week when Sky monitor the line to set the best speed I would recommend streaming some data continously - 24/7 - When I finished using the internet I would stream from a radio station.
  24. jonden

jonden Member

Ratings:
    +41
    May be a stupid question but what benefit to your final speed would doing the above give?
  25. SevloW

SevloW Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +845
    It helps them to get the line stable at the best speed - if your not pushing data down the line it would be possible they would err on the side of caution and set your speed lower. More data will allow them to monitor the line conditions and give you the max speed with max stability.
  26. DFN

DFN Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Ordered it today through Topcashback, got 3 Months Half Price (which showed on the confirmation page) plus £111 ! Bloody brilliant offer if you ask me. Many thanks for the help Phoenix.

Choose to have a new number so Sky Talk and Broadband go live on the same day. :D
  27. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    thats a great deal, yeah i think you get BB downtime with your existing provider if you keep the same phone number when your LLU with current provider, but if you get a new number you get BB and phone at the same time.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  28. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Ordered Sky broadband today! :) Switching from out of contract Tiscali broadband & calls / landline.

Got an engineer coming Friday for the TV & 6th October for the broadband. On the confirmation page it said i would need to get a MAC from Tiscali myself, sent them an email but we'll see in the next few days if Sky do that themselves.

I live ~180m away from the exchange as the crow flies and I have a feeling that the phone lines for my street should be pretty direct to it so hopefully get a very good speed.

Did you not need an engineer visit for the broadband golden phoenix? Any idea what he does or is it just to sort out the line over the Sky?
  29. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,433
    i dont understand why you need an engineer for any part of transferring you bb or phone as its all done at the phone exchange

set up i s a booklet and cd which is all straight forward?

if your talking about sky tv..and youve never had it before..it obviously to put the dish up..he's not required for anything else as you can set the box up yourself, and match the viewing card up over the phone yourself.

check as to whether or not you are paying extra for the engineers visit. you dont need a mac code, i didnt..sky just notified talktalk and that was it, i got a "sorry your leaving us letter" then offered some good deals from TT, but sky had too many benefits for me, and its nice to have everything on one bill from the same provider.
  30. AzzaM

AzzaM Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Neither do I since the phone line is active and the socket is fine, so there shouldn't be anything he needs to do here unless he has to visit to make sure it's all working this end after he's done what ever at the exchange. There's nothing at all on any of the emails or account for the second engineer visit.

That's good to know about the MAC. :)