1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best possible solution to my DIY projector screen

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by snuus, Feb 7, 2012.

1. snuus

snuus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi I was looking for some advice off experienced DIYers or just generally people who know a lot more about projector screens than me.

Ive been doing the rounds as I may well be the luck owner of a IN78, my very 1st projector! Specs are here InFocus Play Big IN78 DLP Projector noticing this has a low lumen count should I be aiming for a more reflective surface?

Problem is now that Ive spent a little out of my budget I didnt really expect to see the high prices of good screens and now I could really do with some top useful advice

With that in mind I thought I'd do some DIY!

I have a room, white bumpy walls (Victorian 1870's) very dark as it only has one small window which I will completley black out. I have read a bit and most comments follow the idea that for prime picture quality in a very dark room I should stick with a white screen with maximum 1 screen gain is this correct?

• I dont want to spray paint anything as that would cost more with the hire and what not but material I can do for definate so some suggestions as to the top materials to use if on say a £50 -60 budget?

• Would I get a better finish with a paint as ive read its not nescassary? I'd like to go with a fixed frame if poss.

• I'm after a 65 - 75 inch minimum screen corner to corner after measuring my room.

• I'm after the best screen I can for my meager budget so any places to get these materials from that you know of (UK Based) ?

• Is there something I should be aimning for specifically because of the projector I will be getting?

• Or should I just buy say a Optoma Panoview 84" and have done with it because its probably going to cost as much but will it look as good?
    I will hold fire on purchasing anything until some of you guys hit me with some pearls. I eagerly anticipate the morning and a look at your suggestions, thank you!

Thanks for your help
  2. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,822
    Your room may be able to be made dark but if the walls are light/white coloured a grey paint would be better than white.

You can easily build a fixed screen from a sheet of mdf cut to whatever size you want.The sheet will cost approx £10-12 and then get a tin of matt paint grey or white and apply with a roller (2-3 coats).

For the border get a few metres of 2" wide sticky backed black velcro (looped side) from Dunelm approx £2 per meter and apply to the edge of the sheet.

The whole thing can be done in an afternoon with minimal diy skills and total cost will be £40 approx.

A fixed screen is better than any cheap non tab tensioned screen as it is flat and you will not get any ripples or edge curl which is what you will get with most cheap screens.

I see you are in Shrewsbury and I am near Junc 2 M54 (wolves) so if you get down this way come and have a look at my 100" diagonal screen it has been up for 6yrs now and still looks as good as the day I put it up.
  3. snuus

snuus Member

Ratings:
    +1
    More tips from the excellent Mr Fern! That sounds like a fab offer thank you I'd love to come and see! Maybe when im down that neck of the woods ill give you a message (my mums from there) and I could have a gander.

In your opinion what would you say to this method as a contrast, im interested in the idea of using photo paper but I think this is a black screen Make a Projection Screen for under $100 and more importantly will it beat buying a £50 second hand Beamax?

Also what if I hung up black drapes over the white walls to the side of my projection area or is the room as a whole important? its totally pitch black in there and I would paint the walls but its a rented place and I think they'd go crazy about me making a "feature" wall.
  4. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,822
    I have not seen that method for making a screen before I suppose it would work but it sounds more fiddly than a painted screen and I don't know how durable a screen made from photo paper would be.

Black drapes hung on the walls adjacent to the screen is a good idea and will certainly help the whole room would obviously be better but the sides on their own will do.

When you want to pop over pm me and we can arrange something.:)