1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 50 Meg owner's club

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by Deadringers, May 25, 2010.

1. VL.VoOdoO

VL.VoOdoO Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Just to add to this, when you're doing a speedtest.net ... er ... test, don't just assume the server closest to you is the correct server to test with. I've had results ranging from 10mbit all the way up to 50mbit from various servers on the speedtest.net site, although they are all usually pretty consistent. So chances are, you'll have to try a few different servers and work out exactly which one is best for you. I live way down south, but I find that London and Milton Keynes (might be Manchester? London and one other anyway) are the only servers to give me 50mbit results; any others I test with usually max out at 30mbit or less!
  2. barnsley

barnsley Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there,

Another thing to think about is your TCP/IP settings, I used a TCP/IP optimizer and upped my speed from just under 40MB to near 50Mb, have a look here: -
    SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads

Once I ran this I was more than happy with my speeds (both upstream and downstream).

Cheers,

barnsley
  3. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Last time I read about it, the TCP/IP optimiser was only required on Windows XP systems. AFAIK Windows 7 does not require it anymore. Correct me if I am wrong.
  4. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,759

yes you really shouldnt need it for something like windows 7 or vista.

If you do need it then there must be something wrong with the way you are using/configuring windows or something else in the loop.
  5. A.I.

A.I. Member

Ratings:
    +74
    [​IMG]

Joined today.

This test was run wireless to my Macbook Pro.

BTW the engineer was a flump and needed some help. 'You don't need a new router 'cos you will never get 50 meg on the laptop' - needless to say I sent him back for the D-Link which has done the trick.

Yeeeha!
  6. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759
    I do not want to slate all the guys who come and do these installs as the three guy who came and did mine were very helpful, friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

However using the term "engineer" for these guys is not right.

They are not engineers they are guys who have been given enough training to do installs and run cables around a house.

Not trying to put them down but when Virgin use the term "engineer" this says to me that they have a deep understanding of the technology they are rolling out and therefore should be able to provide an answer to 99% of questions asked.

So I think this is Virgin's fault for giving them a name of something that they are really not.

However as I said my guys were very helpful to install and I did not have any technical problems that needed dealing with so I guess this is what Virgin banks on for most of their installs.

I would recomend anyone that has Broadband or Virgin Cable to just have a read up on what routers are and how they work and how to configure your wireless. This should sort most problems.
  7. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Calling them engineers is abit of a stretch, and a big disrespect to the engineers who would typically spend 3-4 years at a university. On a separate note, my installer did not drop my wireless usb card!
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  8. watpoae

watpoae Member

Ratings:
    +4
    OK guys I need urgent help. Im due to have my virgin 50meg installed on friday, my driveway is being dug up today. Shall I tell the builders to rip the old cable out? Because its very very old cabling. Id like the engineer to patch through new cabling in tubing so when the builders are near to completeing the driveway they can lay it underneath.

Please help with some advice
  9. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759
    hmm if I were you I would leave the cable either in there.

It may cause more problems if you cut it off and then have no idea where it is later on!

good luck let us know what you do.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. watpoae

watpoae Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok all installed, up and running!!! I have a slight problem tho. I was geting around 49mg on the speedtest when connected via ethernet. Now im running on wireless its dropped to 23mg. I expected this because the engineer explained that my current wireless isn't as upto date as the d-link usb adapter they provide. He explained once I install the d-link usb apapter that it should go back upto 49-50mb, but it hasn't, it still goes at 23mg.

Is there anything I need to tweak in settings or anything?? Perhaps my laptop hasn't switched from my old wireless settings to the d-link usb adpater??
  11. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    are you using a wireless N router and USB Card provided ?
    you need to be running wireless n on both sides for higher speeds...
  12. watpoae

watpoae Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I am using the wireless router and wirelss network adapter that the engineer provided.
    How can I check that I am running wireless n on both sides???
  13. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759
    letting us know what make/model the hub and USB card are would be a start :)

then you (or i) can type that into google and find out what specs it has.

Also when you connect the USB card into your laptop are you sure your laptop has installed it correctly and is using it rather than your older built in wireless card?
  14. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    A very good point raised ....
  15. watpoae

watpoae Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, its a D-Link DWA 140 Wireless N Adapter and a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Router.

I did say in my initial post that I wasn't sure if my laptop was using my older wireless card or the newly installed d-link, you just worded it better! :D

2 things Im not clear on are, im not sure if I am running wireless on both sides as bym007 asked before, and secondly, im not sure how to know/check if my laptop is using the old built in wireless card or the new d-link one.
  16. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759

haha sorry i missed it!

what windows are you using? I assume 7 right?

if you can go to your network connections and disable the built-in adapter.

then it should only use the new one :)

Also go onto your router's page (usually done by typing in the IP-address of the router into a web browser) and check under wireless setting or something like that, that "N" is enabled.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. watpoae

watpoae Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, ill give that a burn tomorrow, stuck at work tonight!

You're rite, I am using Windows 7.

Also, if I disable the built in adapter, and only use the d-link adapter, will I still be able to connect to other networks that aren't 'N'? I only ask because I sometime use my laptop at work and friends' houses etc.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  18. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Wireless 'N is backwards compatible, so you should be able to use it with b/g/n wireless networks...
  19. watpoae

watpoae Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Great, thanks, which do I have to disable?
    Under Network Adapters in device manager I have:
    -Intel(R) 82655MM Gigabit Network Connection
    -Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AG

is it the latter I need to disable?
  20. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I take it you have not plugged your Dlink USB Adapter in yet, else its name should have been there too... Back to the point, yes Intel wifi link needs disabling (right click on it and click on disable). Restqrt the PC and install the dlink card. this should avoid any potential problems....
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. GeorgeMerlin

GeorgeMerlin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hah, shorter reply to deadringers post (156) as time I finished it seemed I was no longer logged in, couldn't agree more with points you raised and this will redirect me to final paragraph of yours. Thanks for input guys, I'll be back in a few days will then give fuller info on 1 desktop and 2 notebooks, sufficient for now that speed at least twice as fast than on 20Meg, be ready to tweak soon, rarely dropping and no 'capping' Laters guys.
  22. davl7

davl7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bit the bullet today and ordered 50Mbit, got a great deal, additional £5 a month, no install fee, £20 activation and an additional V+ box, happy days!, I'll post how i get on after 22nd Sep
  23. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759

it is brilliant :)

just re-downloading all of my steam games tonight and it is downloading so fast :)

thank god for 50 meg!

and once you go cable you never go back.

why would you want to mess around with ADSL and all the "get a few face-plate" crap and "oh try the master socket" ! rubbish!

get cable!
  24. mentasm

mentasm Active Member

Ratings:
    +807
    Getting 50 meg installed on the 1st of October (apparently they can't do it before then) and I was just wondering what router they are currently shipping? I've seen a lot of mention of the D-Link DIR-615, but it doesn't look like the one on the VM site and I've heard pretty mixed things about those (in so much as they're useless until you flash them with DD-WRT). Someone in another thread mentioned a DIR-815.

I currently have the new VM Hub, which they sent me the other day after (incorrectly) diagnosing a problem with my old modem. I'll be glad to get rid of it though because the wireless signal level on is terrible, so much so that the other wireless networks in the area are almost as powerful. I'm hoping the router supplied with 50 meg is better than that, as I don't want to fork out more on top for a decent wireless n connection.

Anyway, will be looking forward to the increased upload speed. Takes ages to upload large photos at the moment, even on 20 meg. Just wish it was sooner and that the rumoured price reduction doesn't happen in October, because that would be annoying just after I ordered it :D
  25. mitchec1

mitchec1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +697
    Mine's being installed on the 29th after VM finally sorted out my road.

I'll be coming from a 5.5 meg connection so would also like to know what router etc VM supply
  26. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759
    not sure really.

Think they have a choice between the d-link and the netgear one.

the routers are actually ok I find. I think it is just the Firmware that they ship with them.

The d-link router just requires that you search for the latest firmware off of the d-link site and then update it. suddenly perfect it all works nicely :)

the netgear one i have not got round to changing yet but it all seems to work fine and I can max out my connection fine.

this is what I have:

50Meg modem >>> Netgear Router (this performs dhcp)

Then off the netgear router I have some devices connected to this and also a cable that goes around the outside of my house to the d-link router.
    This d-link has everything turned off except for wireless (no dhcp). so basically a switch with wireless access point.
    then the other office PC is connected to this d-link via ethernet.

And all works sweetly :) can max out my 50 meg over wireless or ethernet :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. mentasm

mentasm Active Member

Ratings:
    +807
    I had a text from the HDNL today saying that my Virgin parcel would be delivered tomorrow. I wasn't expecting anything, so do they send the kit out ahead of the engineer visit then? If so, is it all the kit, or just the router/dongle? I'm crossing my fingers for everything so that I can try and get it activated earlier, but if it is just the router it'll give me time to find a decent guide for putting DD-WRT on it.

Honestly, the Virgin hub is useless - I can't wait to replace it!
  28. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    On my new installation, the engineer brought the cable modem and the d-link wireless router himself. The USB dongle was to be shipped separately (although I never received it).
  29. mentasm

mentasm Active Member

Ratings:
    +807
    Cheers. Maybe that's what it is then. Disappointing :(
  30. bym007

bym007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Do update us back to confirm this though ....