The 50 Meg owner's club

i thought VM replaced the wnr2000 routers with the dlink 615 at the beginning of the year?

I just bought the dlink 655 router and I will see how that goes!

i thought VM replaced the wnr2000 routers with the dlink 615 at the beginning of the year?
apperantly not for me!

I think it is a better router than the 615 as it is beefier and looks like more care was taken on it when designing and making it.

Plus it does seem very quick :)

Had mine for about a week now - really pleased. 48/49 on speed-test. I am paying £95.50 for the VIP Package and 50 meg + £25 activation.

They didn't have the router pack available, will apparently come later on -but I have the netgear already.

I have an N laptop but try as I might I cannot seem to get it to connect above 54mbps - pretty sure the router and card are set-up ok

We've had it a few months now, this is the first time we've got to test it........not entirely impressed with 20mb????????

We also have issues with the adservers on the Mrs' laptop as it slows her e-mail down too much, but isn't a problem on the more powerful desktop.......will post on that seperately though.

Should we complain about the speed?

We've had it a few months now, this is the first time we've got to test it........not entirely impressed with 20mb????????

We also have issues with the adservers on the Mrs' laptop as it slows her e-mail down too much, but isn't a problem on the more powerful desktop.......will post on that seperately though.

Well depends how you are testing first of all.

Wired or Wireless?

also are you using an old laptop or a newer laptop? (or desktop)

and what happens when you connect directly to the modem with ethernet cable and no router inbetween your PC and the modem?

But your latency (ping) looks good.

You should also try changing the server you test with at Speedtest.net. I get around 20-35 on most, but only get the 47-49 with the London server, even tho it's not the closest one to me. This is all wired of course, never tested via Wifi.

yeah it is still good :)

I've just got a technet subscription so spent last few days get the latest stuff - office 2010, win2k8 r2 etc and it steamed down!

trouble is my test server is still recovering all my files after my whs rebuild so I cant play :)

I get the odd slow down usually around 9am but it doesnt last long. Dont know how many people on my area have 50mb but it doesnt seem to be limiting my bandwidth

I buy the majority of games that I (or my kids) use via Steam, and assuming it's not some recently released big title, I always get a great speed from Steam, close to full speed!

It's usually so good that if I buy a game and my son decides he likes it too, rather than transfer the files over to his Steam installation from mine and then buy it and have it "install" from my existing files, we simply buy it on his machine and download it from Steam. The time from purchase to installation and ready to play compared to using my existing files transferred via our home network is minimal, and it's a lot less fuss. Love 50Mbit for that :thumbsup:

I think we've finally got all our problems sorted in regards to sync too. We are expecting an Engineer to come out sometime within the next week to install a powered HDU to ensure we get the right noise levels throughout the house but so far, even without that, things have been good even on the hottest days.

I had (another) spending spree on steam the other day and downloaded probably about 7 or 8 files simultaneously hitting 6MB a second (s0 49,152 mbits/s)

I (and the wife on her machine) were still browsing with no noticeable slowdown too ;)

I had (another) spending spree on steam the other day and downloaded probably about 7 or 8 files simultaneously hitting 6MB a second (s0 49,152 mbits/s)

I (and the wife on her machine) were still browsing with no noticeable slowdown too ;)

nice :)

what router are you using with it?

Quick Heads Up

There is a beta firmware '10.12' available for the 50meg modem which stops the large number of T3 errors people may be having...

Its being tested at the moment and looks to have fixed the problem.

You will know if you need it if you check your modem event log and find lots of T3 timeouts or errors. You will also get loss of connection when a T3 error hits.

Mark..

Quick Heads Up

There is a beta firmware '10.12' available for the 50meg modem which stops the large number of T3 errors people may be having...

Its being tested at the moment and looks to have fixed the problem.

You will know if you need it if you check your modem event log and find lots of T3 timeouts or errors. You will also get loss of connection when a T3 error hits.

Mark..

I got my 50Meg installed this morning, and my modem is indeed showing a few T3 time-outs (including Time not established), how do I update this firmware ? Cheers

If the trial goes well the firmware will be rolled out to all 50meg users in 2 to 3 weeks accoding to the VM 50meg support forum.

To get it you need to PM the forum manager and ask to join the test.

Mark..

If the trial goes well the firmware will be rolled out to all 50meg users in 2 to 3 weeks accoding to the VM 50meg support forum.

To get it you need to PM the forum manager and ask to join the test.

Mark..

Sorry to be a pain, but could you kindly link me to the specific forum.
Thanks for the headsup!:thumbsup:

EDIT: Had a browse there, and looks like they are not accepting more beta testers!

Last edited:
Just ordered my upgrade from 20mb to 50mb, getting installed next Tuesday. cant wait :) For those asking about prices I got -

TV - L
Phone - L
BB -XXL
V+ HD
Caller ID

All for £54.99/month, got the install slashed from £35 to £5, he wouldn't budge the last fiver :D

Am I correct in thinking the engineer installs the new modem but you then have to wait for the new wifi router to be sent out?

Just ordered my upgrade from 20mb to 50mb, getting installed next Tuesday. cant wait :) For those asking about prices I got -

TV - L
Phone - L
BB -XXL
V+ HD
Caller ID

All for £54.99/month, got the install slashed from £35 to £5, he wouldn't budge the last fiver :D

Am I correct in thinking the engineer installs the new modem but you then have to wait for the new wifi router to be sent out?

Congrats and I hope it works out well in your area. No, the engineer will bring the new cable modem, wireless n router and D-link dwa-140 USB card. He will install the modem and router and probably leave the usb for you to install.

I never touched the USB card, even though my laptop is only b/g.

VM came tonight to install 50mb for me, i was on my way to work so left it with the mrs. Anyway, he installed it and said that wirelessly we can only get 20mb speeds but via wired its fine at 50mb. He apparently went onto some speed site which showed 50mb when wired. The mrs rang me at work and i asked her to try the same speed test site wired and wirelessly, and it was 50 wired/20 wirelessly.

I then asked her to download s film via a newsgroup whilst it was wired and the speed was between 2800-3000, surely it should be faster !! He did bring a dlink router but has just left the old netgear installed. As im stuck at work until the morning i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to why it's only getting 20mb wirelessly. Will it be worthwhile changing to the d link tomorrow ?? Cheers, :).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom