Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 50 Meg owner's club

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by Deadringers, May 25, 2010.

1. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Though it would be a good idea to get a thread going on here about Virgin's fastest package as there seems to be a new one every 5 minutes!
    (ok they are testing others in kent but nationally this is the best)

What we want to hear back from you in this thread is the equipment you have connected to the modem that allows you to get the best out of your service.

e.g. what routers are good at maximising your download speeds and producing low latency :)

Also how reliable have you found the service to be? is it always at 50meg or do you often get drops in speed?

I am joining the club next Thursday when the guy come round to fit me up with it and my tv package.

When I have it in place and installed I will be posting my results and findings on here.

Think I will be sticking with the dlink 615 router as it does a very good job with my current package of 20meg.

However it may be worth noting that I have upgraded the firmware to version 4.11.
    The result (i have found) of this upgrade is more connections can be going through it at once. e.g. for torrents or multiple file downloads/youtube videos.
    whereas before it did not like lots of things going on at once.

EDIT*/UPDATE*

Thought I would give a quick update for all of you on here.

So I have the superhub
    50Mb BB
    2x d-link 615 routers

The d-link routers both are running DD-WRT custom firmware and one is simply acting like a wireless access point with all "routing/DHCP" duties offloaded to the other. this is so that I can position it closer to the middle of the house for a more even wireless coverage.

Then the 2nd router is connected to the homehub and serves out all the internet from there.
    Both the homehub and the 2nd d-link have their wireless turned off as there was no point in having them on.

Have to say I am very happy 99% of the time with this setup. Always get pretty good speeds, low latency and personally i have never hit any caps with my internet usage.

Did have something odd happen whereby my house was feeding back a lot of noise into the Virgin network and it turns out the installers had not properly secured the coax cable in but all it required was an engineer to come round test all my equipment again and I was back online in 24 hours.

So all in all very happy with Virgin media and will continue to use them!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. gerbilly

gerbilly Member

Ratings:
    +99
    i dropped down from 50 to 20 as in the 7 months I have had it, it has stopped working 5 times for periods over 3 -5 days. The 20mg is far more reliable.
  3. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Did you not write to virgin? They gave me a months free and fixed all problems :)

Had huge problems with it having high latency and drop outs.
  4. Lleyton

Lleyton Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Had mine since last September/October and for the first month it was absolute cr*p, speed was averaging around 35Mbps and was getting drop outs 4 -5 times a day which was very annoying. (had to restart both router & modem.) Several phone calls to VM india who were hopeless, first they say there were problems in my area and then everything was working ok there end:(

Decided to go back to basics replacing cables and trying connected PC straight to modem and voila near on 50Mbps. Replaced there Netgear WNR2000 (i think it was) with a D-Link 655 router and has been pretty much solid for me, using newsgroups i can max out my connection all day and night if wanted due to there not been any throttling on the 50Mb package ......... yet!

Connected to router is PC, Laptop, 2x 360's & WDTV live, not much i know.

Good luck with the install too m8, i'm sure you will get your moneys worth :thumbsup:

Couple of speedtest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    thanks for the info, useful for me and for others looking at the packages :)
  6. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Currently for the record I though I would post up my speed test results for speed and ping.

Ok some may argue that this does not matter these numbers and that it is not the best site however I have always found it to be a good benchmark and a good starting point of measuring your broadband speeds.

So right now we are on BT's "up to 20 meg" service.
    we get a 10GB monthly usage.
    and this will cost us 7.49 for the first 3 months and 14.49 thereafter.

and what are we really getting?

[​IMG]

so the upload is almost as much as the download.

ping/latency is actually better than i expected
    [​IMG]

however the 1.2 meg link is not anywhere near "UP TO 20 MEG" as quoted by bt.

have been on the phone to them many times and their call centre in India is just useless and makes you go through all the most useless checks.

so that is why we are leaving.
    and we shall see on Thursday what the outcome is of virgin :)
  7. jayshah

jayshah Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Have you checked how far you are from your local exchange? Unfortunately problems like these are then impossible to overcome if you are physically too far to get a decent speed.
  8. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    yep it is about 1.3 to 1.4 miles along the roads. shorter as the crow flies...
  9. jayshah

jayshah Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, I see. That's unlucky then, I would honestly recommend cable where you can get it, I love it :D
  10. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    yep thats what i am doing :D

had it in the Birmingham house but now getting here in St Albans

what BB you got mate?
  11. jayshah

jayshah Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent :D

I've got VM 10Mbit/s at the moment, which is more than sufficient for my needs. Stable for well over 2-3 years, only 1-2 outages per year, couldn't be happier!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    good stuff mate :)

I cannot wait till 50 meg comes into our house here.

have you got any of the TV packages?
  13. jayshah

jayshah Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As much as I would love 50Mbit/s at home, a speed test at work gave me more than 300Mbit/s (Central London) so nothing can compare to that :( Haha :p

Nah we had it, but the box kept rebooting and knocking itself offline, and after 3 of them, we just gave up. Got Freeview now, more than sufficient really, anything else you can just watch from other sources ;) (not mentioning anything, as I know how strict these forums are).

You got any?
  14. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    yes coming on the same day will be the xxl tv package..or what ever is the biggest.

Am thinking of sky sports but not sure at the mo!
  15. VL.VoOdoO

VL.VoOdoO Member

Ratings:
    +11
    50Mbit here, had it just over a month.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I had issues with my 20Mbit which kept losing sync from 11am till 4pm on hot days (yes, that specific), to which they fixed it by replacing the modem ... a (cooler) week later I had 50Mbit installed and yep, problem not fixed. Since then I've had 4 engineers come out to try various fixes, including a network team (for the 5th attempt) who went out to fix the amp in the cabinet to ensure my signal levels were spot on. That was 3 days ago, not had a really hot day since, but hoping it's now fixed.

The D-Link 615 router (which I had to ask for, and in the end the 3rd engineer brought with him) I set up for 5 minutes and then flashed to dd-wrt, which is absolutely brilliant. Being able to do proper QoS in my household (can be up to 6 people using the net all at once) is just a god send, and the traffic graphing is handy too.

Despite my problems, I love it, and now the router is flashed to dd-wrt, I love that too :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. thedude2011

thedude2011 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi guys had the 50Mb for two days now, and i am geting good speeds 40-55MBps but the connection keeps dropping out i have had to reset both routers 7-8 times in the past two days anyone one else having this problem ?

dd-wrt ?? what is this firmware ? i have the D link aswell.
  17. Lleyton

Lleyton Member

Ratings:
    +81

Pretty much the same problem i had except i had the Netgear router.

Have you tried connecting straight to the modem for a day or so to see if you still have the same problem?

yes m8 dd-wrt is a third party firmware, had it on a old linksys router and worked flawlessly for a couple of years on VM 20mb.
  18. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    thanks for sharing your speed VL.VoOdoO

does anyone have a link for dd-wrt?
  19. Lleyton

Lleyton Member

Ratings:
    +81

Here you go, just put your router in the bar at top (make sure you choose the right revision of your router.):thumbsup:

Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    thanks mate il test that out when the 50 meg comes in tomorrow :)
  21. markwww673

markwww673 Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Here are my current tests

[​IMG]

Latest speed @ 2nd June 46.4meg

[​IMG]

I do find speeds do drop every so often but a quick router reset normally does the trick. Latency is consistent though it seems.

Mark..
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  22. markwww673

markwww673 Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    and the usual Speedtest stuff.

Current test.
    [​IMG]

Average over 6 months or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my best so far

[​IMG]

Overall very pleased :thumbsup:

Mark..
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  23. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    thanks,

so so far it looks as if most people here have had a positive outcome with the 50 meg package even though they did have some teething problems at first.

It is coming today!
    very excited as the Geek inside me is looking forward to it!
  24. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    Right so guys just installed it today...
    must say I am very impressed!

This result is over wireless using their Netgear N router they sent me. Also wireless has encryption on.
    Router is: WNR2000v2

[​IMG]

It is looking very good and I have not noticed any slow downs what so ever :)
  25. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    right so ran it and it cannot test packet loss....but it did manage to test it like an hour ago!?

but very pleased with the results of that as well...still over wireless with encryption.

[​IMG]
  26. Lleyton

Lleyton Member

Ratings:
    +81
    i thought VM replaced the wnr2000 routers with the dlink 615 at the beginning of the year?
  27. Miyazaki

Miyazaki Active Member

Ratings:
    +861
    I just bought the dlink 655 router and I will see how that goes!
  28. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    apperantly not for me!

I think it is a better router than the 615 as it is beefier and looks like more care was taken on it when designing and making it.

Plus it does seem very quick :)
  29. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,761
    [​IMG]

new result for ping test..

this is fantastic!

Really happy with the connection and very happy with the service team that installed it. Would recommend others to get it also :)
  30. sukhy5

sukhy5 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Quick question?

How much are people paying for this?