Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank god for the licence fee

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by FZR400RRSP, May 31, 2011.

1. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,718
    I'm not arguing against your point, it's just smacks of a con if you pick the basic package as it's mostly repeats and otherwise poor quality programming.
  2. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,486
    Unless I am confused by the website, Sky Atlantic and having the likes of Bones and Sopranos seems decent to me for the Variety pack. All imo of course. Saying that personally I'd rather buy the box sets to avoid the ads :)
  3. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato Member

Ratings:
    +198
    All correct, it additionally it carries adverts, as does the BBC website when accessed via a non-UK IP.
  4. mattclarkie

mattclarkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +937
    As you are not obliged to let the TV License people into your house you can just claim you never watch Live TV (and I know of a few people that used this trick) and they bugger off.

But in essence we still have a TV tax as you can never really prove you don't occasionally browse to a beeb channel or watch a live iPlayer stream. Whenever you buy TV equipment you have to give your postcode and house number so they can check up on you, that says it all really.
  5. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    One decent programme in a year? Fantastic lol. Other than Top Gear, what is worth watching on the five channels? Saturday TV? Rather play Russian Roulette.
  6. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,718
    Top Gear isn't an example of the BBC at it's best, good though it is.
  7. mattclarkie

Ratings:
    +937
    It certainly gets a large proportion of the BBCs budget, they could have made 2 Don't Scare The Hare robots if they hadn't spend the money on Top Gear.

TG is one of the few programmes I do watch.
  8. robfosters

robfosters Member

Ratings:
    +215
    The Panorama program on TV tonight was worth every penny of the licence fee imo.

Despicable practices shown to the entire country, leading to abuse in that particular place to stop and the offenders arrested.

That's what's worth the licence fee imo.
  9. SBT

SBT Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,981
    The missus recorded this and is watching it now.Im pottering about in the background and after hearing screaming asked what she was watching.Im now watching it myself and dont think i've ever been so angry:mad: completly shocking.
  10. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,556
    Erm why? Tv is a luxury if you can't afford it don't have one, why should everything be half funded by those working while bone idle ***** sit on their arse watching daytime tv all day everyday?

I go and do a 60hr working week while bob his missus and 4 kids sit watching trash all day.... Whats that bob you £50 short on your food bill not to worry i'll write out a cheque.

People work hard for nice things, if you can't afford it you don't need it !
  11. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I'm dole scum but don't watch daytime TV.
  12. Axel40

Axel40 Active Member

Ratings:
    +268
    Sorry Gents,

Been a bit of an Arse in this thread.

Dad's been in Hosi for the last 5 weeks and died this morning. I'm being argumentative for the sake of it, not anyone else.

You know what, nothing really matters except family!!
  13. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,669
    I don't have a issue with paying the tv licence as such, my issue is why is it called a tv licence when it is essentially a compulsory BBC subscription? If a tv licence is required to receive a live broadcast then shouldn't the revenue be distributed fairly between those companies providing the output?

The name 'tv licence' is out of date. Just be more open about what it really is.
  14. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    LOOK BBC PROPAGANDA
  15. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    More than happy to pay the license fee and much prefer BBC programming compared to the far inferior quality of ITV's and the inconvenience of advert interruptions.

Looking forward to the BBC's always brilliant coverage of the Queens Club and Wimbledon Tennis Events yet again this year in HD.

I do dread the majority of TV listings around the Autumn and Winter time, more so ITV's above others. I'm a celeb, Dancing on ice, X-Factor, Britain's got :censored:-all Talent and a whole host of other trash phone vote programmes that are the scourge and disease of our national television. I am afraid to say but people like Simon Cowell have well and truly cashed in on these types and formats of programs while destroying the quality of our viewing experiences at the same time. I can't stand any of them nor him for that matter. I am truly grateful to the BBC & SKY with their Sports channels in providing me with an escape route from all the garbage to be honest. :smashin:
  16. Mr Noble

Mr Noble Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,556
    Then your not a pro dole claimer then so what's your point :confused:
  17. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,718
    Not all 'dole scum' watch daytime TV?
  18. Goooner

Goooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,638
    I don't get the problem with advert interruptions, since getting TiVo god knows how many years ago and subsequently Sky+ I never watch live TV (except for football) so never watch any adverts.
  19. kav

kav Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10,263
    Sorry to hear that Axel. :(
  20. mattclarkie

Ratings:
    +937
    The only argument for the TV tax seems to be that ITV is rubbish. I'm not saying ITV isn't rubbish, but it is hardly a good argument for the TV tax as after all the BBC have more than a few of those 'talent' show things themselves.
  21. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    True, and am utterly devistated to see a once watchable program like Masterchef go down that same ugly 'drawn out' format too... Be a phone vote in for that next season probably! :thumbsdow
  22. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,995
    ITV worships talent shows, just about to the exclusion of anything else.
    The BBC may well have their own talent shows, but they also have far, far more quality programmes to balance it out.
  23. Jamezinho

Ratings:
    +2,669
    Is there an argument that ITV's content could improve if they were given a slice of the licence fee?

Same goes for C4 & 5.
  24. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Haven't watched ITV in years.
  25. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,995
    As I understand it, C4 is a public service broadcaster set up as competition to the BBC, and it is required to produce a certain amount/quality of programme.
    And whilst it's funded through advertising, Ofcom has backed an appeal they made for public funding, as their advertising revenues have slumped.
    Apart from bloody Hollyoaks and Big brother, I don't mind C4.
    The likes of 'cutting edge' is excellent, as is some of their comedy.
  26. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    I think they get more than enough through advertisement subscriptions. To give the other channels a cut of the current license fee would be a detriment to the BBC who would then be asking to advertise through their channel to make up for the lost funds which most, if not all of us, would probably not want!
  27. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    You haven't missed a thing.... apart from a few world cup matches, and even they were nothing to write home about!
  28. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    I'll be anti licence fee if the Beeb poach Cheryl Cole :D
  29. Jamezinho

Ratings:
    +2,669
    But as FZR said, advertising revenues are down. The BBC isn't affected in the same way by the economic downturn when they have a guaranteed income each year. If the earlier link is to be believed the BBC is generating cash off the back of our taxes.

I'm not saying the licence fee should be equally split four ways between BBC, ITV, C4 and C5, but I do firmly believe the commercial stations should get a small cut (say 5-10% each) seeing as the TV licence is enforced as a tax for receiving live broadcasts.

If it's a BBC tax then cut the crap and call it that.
  30. captainarchive

Ratings:
    +1,718
    I'm sure Channel 4 is partly funded by the Licence fee.