Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesco Technika LCD TV/DVD's - advice?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hankhill, Dec 4, 2007.

1. hankhill

hankhill Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    Bit of a noobie question here :hiya:. I’m looking to buy a 19" LCD TV/DVD combo from Tesco for the bedroom, either the LCD19DVDID-307 or the LCD19DVDID-107. I’ve heard good and bad things about these Technika boxes on the forums, like some strange Freeview aspect ratios on the 107 model, so I’m leaning towards the 307 especially as I heard from one forum that it plays DIVX discs too (really?). Yes, I know these TV's are cheap and you only get what you pay for, etc., but they're all I can afford and at least Tesco will take it back and refund me, even if I decide I just don’t like the look of it in a few weeks time.

Anyway, there are some big differences in some of the specs of each TV and I’d appreciate some advice. See http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-9054.aspx and http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-6689.aspx It seems odd that Tesco would have two TV’s of such similar basic spec and price, so I’m guessing they originate from different manufacturers. Is one significantly newer than the other?

The picture frequency on the 107 is 150Hz but on the 307 it’s only 50Hz. Does this matter? The resolution of the 107 is 1366 x 768 pixels but the 307 is 1440 x 990 – again, does this make a difference? The 307 is HD ready, so maybe that's the reason for the difference, which is irrelevant to me at the moment.

Anyone got one of these? Any advice appreciated!
  2. stevelup

stevelup Active Member

Ratings:
    +721
    The 107 is proper 16:9, the 307 is 16:10 - so if you are bothered about that, go for the 107.

Otherwise, there isn't much between them... I'd let the aspect ratio and physical appearance be the deciding factor.

Steve
  3. hankhill

hankhill Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting point. I just found this really useful site:
    http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?5eed74da30c1f576ea6c2e1a1ed0a5fa
    It clearly shows the different screen and picture sizes. Looks like the 107 will give me no black bands on a true 16:9 widescreen picture, but the 307 will give me a bigger 4:3 picture (click the source image buttons at the top). I still can't work out from my Googling whether the different picture frequencies matter with an LCD screen.
  4. hankhill

hankhill Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just to bump this - 119 views and nobody else has an opinion?
  5. GadgetAl

GadgetAl Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the LCD19DVDID-307 a couple of weeks back - first one had a single dead pixel but Tesco were happy to exchange it for a replacement. It has a decent picture and DVD player is extremely versatile (plays XviD, MP3, WMA, MP4 and possibly other formats that aren't advertised).

It has several video inputs but only a coax audio output which is only used for DVD playback - there's not even a headphone socket.

The only problem I've started to notice is that the audio and video seems to lose sync occasionally when watching Freeview channels - I'm now contemplating taking it back for a refund.
  6. Superjen

Superjen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I wondered if anyone could help me. I was bought the Technika 19inch LCD TV from tesco for Christmas, with freeview and DVD player. It took ages to get it tuned in and now that it's all tuned in, I can't get the dvd player to work. I switch it to dvd mode, I get a white screen, the dvd spins, and I get nothing. Hope someone can give me advice. Manythanks,
  7. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought the 19 inch Technika HD Ready TV without the DVD and have found it ok but for one problem. When I got to adjust the picture settings
    ( Brightness, Contrast etc) the top line is ok but then it goes right down to the last line and all other are greyed out. Anyone else had this problem?
  8. briz

briz Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 19" combi DVD/LCD/Freeview TV and having the same problem with audio and video going out of sync. Switching it off and back on brings it back in line for a few minutes then it is out again.

I have a feeling there must be a few with ths problem?

cheers
  9. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I had to return mine as I had no picture, only sound, so they replaced it. Ok now,except when you organsie your favourites on DBV, how do you set it up to show only your favourite channels? I have set the favourites, but can't seem able to cut out the unwanted channels.
  10. iPodSlaaf84

iPodSlaaf84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the TECHNIKA 19'' LCD TV with freeview, but not DVD, for two months. It has worked perfectly from the start, when connected via its HDMI socket the picture is stunning! The only pain is having to leave it in standby so it can receive its EPG downloads at 3am every night, my parents have always taught me to not leave anything on stand-by overnight has this uses a fair bit of power, and means paying for something that isn't being used. If I had to advise anyone thinking of buying the same model as mine, I would say go for it, it is a great television that can be bought for less than £170 @ Tesco! My friend has a 19'' LCD TV that cost him over a hundred £s more, and is no better than mine, he wishes he had known about this actual TV before he bought his!
    :thumbsup:
  11. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought this set too and you don't actually HAVE to leave it in standby overnight. I don't. I guess that if yours is connected via a HDMI lead then you are receiving your signal from a HD source such as a Virgin or Sky box, in which case, the updates don't really matter on Freeview and you can always do a manual update anyway.
  12. Biiru

Biiru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't suppose anybody could provide a photo of the back of the TECHNIKA 19'' HD TV, or inform me of its exact inputs? Does it support the usual composite, S-video, component etc. inputs? I don't usually trust Tesco/Argos etc. descriptions!

Also, I intend to use this TV with my Japanese Nintendo Wii. Do you know If i'll have any NTSC/PAL issues (ie. just black & white picture)?

Thanks very much for your time,

Joe.
  13. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Joe. Reading from the manual it has:

Headphone Jack
    Power Cable
    PC Input
    HDMI Input
    Audio Line Out
    Component Audio Inputs
    Component Video Inputs (YpBPr)
    Scart
    RF Input
    C1 Slot

Can't help with your Wii question. Hope this helps.
  14. Biiru

Biiru Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much =)

And i'm pretty sure it should work with my Wii...
  15. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know how to set up this TV so that when you switch it on, it goes straight to the HD source (in my case a Virgin V+Box). It's a pain having to switch it to the HD source (as opposed to the Freeview source) every time it is swiched on. It is connected via a HDMI cable to the V+ Box.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. matthewk

matthewk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone confirm if the LCD19DVDID-107 plays divx?
    or does only the LCD19DVDID-207 play divx?
  17. robsonalan

robsonalan Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Does anyone know if the Standard 19" unit without the DVD player actually has A) a sort of cut out at the back where the DVD player is connected and B) DVD player Buttons on the remote control.

The reason why I ask is that my 19" Technika with DVD has developed a Fault. I like the DVD player in it. So if the Standard unit has connections and space for the DVD I may just purchase the Non DVD version again and then just add the DVD from my Faulty TV.

When opening up my Faulty TV the DVD is connected via two Cables one, carrying Audio and the other is a control cable which connects to the main board. The DVD player its self just slides into the cutout on the back of the TV and is then fixed with 3 screws.
  18. Ca1vados

Ca1vados Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just registered.

I have made several attempts to find out how to post a new topic on Technika TV problem.

Sorry to bother you, but can you tell me where it is on the screen - i.e. how to post, or new post or help, I must be blind or stupid.

Regards

C
  19. Gammy leg

Gammy leg Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Just bought one today and have been trying to fine tune the picture settings side-by-side with my 'budget' CRT using both SCART outlets on my Skybox. After being very much anti-LCD I can confirm that this set is complete rubbish in comparison. Unless you can feed it an HD signal save yourself lots of agg. and buy something better.

Gonna take it back tomorrow and spend a bit of time checking out a name brand instead

Gammy
  20. percyp72

percyp72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Evenin' Hansi, I bought a 19" non dvd back in march, moved house lost the remote, receipt and the manual, does anybody have an idea where a copy can be picked or how to tune via buttons at the back. Cheers PercyP:oops:

21. MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi

I had a 37" 1080p technika last year.
    for 2 days.
    The Dolby VS did absolutely nothing to the standard sound, the build quality was shoddy as you could move the panel inside the bezel in the bottom corner and it was very picky as to what equipment it would accept via HDMI.
    I took it back and swapped it for a 32" Bravia.
    Best thing I ever did- I'm no brand snob- but on this occassion the sony is lightyears ahead in every respect.
    Burn , recycle or swap the technika.

Chris
  22. hansi

hansi Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Percy, if you would like to pm me in about two weeks (on my hols) I will photocopy the manual and send it to you. OK?
  23. percyp72

percyp72 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will Do

Cheers

PercyP:clap:

24. toosb

toosb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a 19" Technika HD Digital LCD TV/DVD.

All tuned in, it is fine.

But I have watched a DVD on it and now I cannot revert to the TV mode.

It is just displaying DVD mode, even after removing the disc.

Any idea how to go back to TV mode?
  25. melaud

melaud Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    I have a 37 inch technika tv, which i bought 18 months ago, can anyone tell me if it is hd ready or not?
    When i looked at the menu for the tv it does mention hdmi 1 and hdmi 2 and both of these are ticked, is that what it means by hd ready.?
    sorry to be such a plonker!!!
    i can't get the model number as it is mounted on the wall, and is to heavy for me to get off!!
  26. MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII Member

Ratings:
    +58
    Hi

It's HD ready and will accept all resolutions up to an including 1080i in either of the hdmi inputs or the component input.
    Note it is not 1080p- though the one I had could downscale this signal to show an image on the panel

Chris
  27. Jo by the beach

Jo by the beach Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions with the following problem would be appreciated. I have the above model and the dvd player has stopped reading all dvd discs since I left a disc in the machine overnight. I experienced the same problem about 9 months ago and managed to rectify it but unable to remember how!! I understand the tv has some locking device built in to lock the system incase children get access?
    Thanks
  28. Hamilton7

Hamilton7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I don't know if anyone has the same problem as me, but very frequently when I turn the TV on, the blue light appears as standard but when I turn the TV on to go to channel, the blue light dims but nothing else happens.
    It's becoming a real pain and have not found a solution anywhere and was hoping for someone to help me. Got this from Tesco but the guarantee has run out and noticed they won't do anything...anyone got suggestions? :lease:
  29. EnquiringMind

EnquiringMind Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya, Im having the exact same problem. Have you managed to rectify it yet?
  30. m3ffnman

m3ffnman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever get to the bottom of the problem?

Seems to be common to low-end LCD TV's. Same issue with my Goodmans 32" LCD! (lost the remote and doing everything with the side buttons) The BLUE LIGHT denotes standby mode I guess. When a source is selected it should turn on and after 5 seconds you get a display. Works sometimes, more often NOT but moves to a 'dimmer blue' light mode - have to turn off and start over again.

Did You ever get to the bottom of the problem?