Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesco Technika Blu-ray player GBP150

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by Jungle Fred, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Jungle Fred

Jungle Fred Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As its unlike Tesco's to be off the pace price wise, at GBP50 more than the Argos Bush offering the Technika machine must do something that the Bush doesn't or just be much better. I notice that the Technika decodes all audio formats except DTS HD:MA. Does the Bush?

Has anyone got the Technika yet? Is it any good?

Incidentally the Technika costs more online than in store which is unusual.
  2. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +567
    At £150 i think you'd have to be crazy to consider anything other than either the Sony S350 or the Samsung BD-P1500 both of which are available for around that price point, come with free films and the luxury of updates...

Samsung BD-P1500/XEU - Blu-ray Disc Player - Includes: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player 1080p Full HD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
  3. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,915
    I agree, although it is at a price point that could attract an impulse buy whilst doing the groceries.
  4. Andris L

Andris L Active Member

Ratings:
    +633
    Well, I think person must be pretty daft to buy some crappy player like Technika :rotfl:.
  5. kingfats

kingfats Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Totally agree. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Well to be honest, since sony have lowered the bar on the price front and included some added value in the way of free movies, Tesco need to reconsider the sale price of their bugdget players, getting it out of triple digit numbers would be a good start, nothing says 'buy me' better then a price like £99.95....
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    I may have missed something here but how do we know this player is crappy?, have I missed a thread / review on it?
  8. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +567
    Valid point Nic, maybe i'm guilty of making an educated assumption... but based on the evidence of the Bush one from Argos, which does appear to be worth a punt for £100 (provided you go in with open eyes and don't expect many updates/customer service) this is £5 less than a highly established player from one of the key players behind Blu Ray, and as most threads on here end up going, there is very, very little in it between the 'cheaper' players and the top end ones, consequently, I cannot see how the Tesco special can be worth it for £150.
  9. Andris L

Andris L Active Member

Ratings:
    +633

We don't know it but it certainly can not be anything good. Even if it will do semi-decent playback it will be doomed if it breaks down after warranty is over. If you don't know how things are with Tesco's finest brand then here is explanation... If it's under warranty and it breaks down then Tesco will exchange it for another machine but if it's out of warranty then you are screwed because no one will be able to repair it because parts are not available.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    So a 'good' objective assesment then :rolleyes: Surely it is better for some who actually buys one and posts actual details before we make judgements which are current based on NO evidence? My expectations are modest here, in line with reference designs, but I think we need to at least see a player first!!
  11. Curry Monster

Curry Monster New Member

Ratings:
    +270
  12. kingfats

Ratings:
    +7,844
    :)

[​IMG]
  13. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    Whatever the merits of the Tesco player I have to say that the Sony 350 at £160 from Amazon with free delivery is a no brainer

I bought the Sony a couple of months ago and am just blown away by the quality performance

Add in the brand reputation and some free discs and there really is no contest
  14. NSWolf

NSWolf Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How does £96.78 sound - but is it any good.

Tesco.Direct
  15. sneerfulbrute

sneerfulbrute Member

Ratings:
    +33
    It must be good it's got a huge Blu-Ray logo stamped onto it's top! :cool:
  16. jlgmax

jlgmax Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone any idea if these will play AVC-HD encoded files ?
  17. kingfats

Ratings:
    +7,844
    Hard to find much info on this player. :(
  18. SeeleyBooth

SeeleyBooth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295
    The Remote Looks Exactly Like The bush one and i mean exactly
  19. stefanr

stefanr Member

Ratings:
    +64
    It seems Tesco don't want to miss the BD boat, how else will they be able to sell all those overpriced BD titles sitting on their selves.

Naturally by selling an overpriced BD player, I agree, with the big names offering, by many comments on here, better machines at the same price mark it must be down to the compulsive shopper that is unaware of the quality player and disc bargains out there.

Although I did finally jump on SD when Tesco's brought out the Wharfedale 750 at £150 and to be fair they did offer excellent customer service, when Jaws 20th Anniversary disc came out and it refused to play they sent an engineer round to update the firmware and then replaced the machine with the 750s when I took it back. There wasn't anything wrong with the machine but still had the receipt and wanted the latest player, which they were happy to give me and it gave me years of service before I upgraded it.

But, Wharfedale was a distinguished name, albeit for speakers, and good ones, at the time. What pedigree does Technika have??
  20. skk3

skk3 Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Sony BDP-S350 by a mile.
  21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    have you tested the Technika?
  22. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,915
    In what way? Have you compared them?
  23. Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,915
    I wonder if this is the same player as the Bush, because as we know, Bush and Technika are just brand names of their respective retailers and AFAIK they are not actually manafacturers.

If so, it should be possible to apply the Region A firmware, as you can the Bush, to give you a cheapo Reg A player :thumbsup:
  24. a4lloxo

a4lloxo Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Totally agree.
  25. BadgerB

BadgerB Member

Ratings:
    +17
  26. mda1974

mda1974 Member

Ratings:
    +79
    How rude
  27. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    but perhaps understandable if people are dismissing this player without even trying it. I remember a time when Oppo was similarly dismissed as no one knew the name.
  28. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,663
    Agreed. Nic. The bane of AV discussion - the snob who thinks that if it costs more it must be better.

Thank goodness that AVF is still a place where people will ask the awkward questions, look at things with logic instead of prejudice, and not accept things as 'fact' without looking into the truth a little more deeply.

Steve W
  29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +519
    haha, I love the fact that someone who is sad enough to be on a forum dedicated to getting 'the best deal' rather than the 'best product' thinks this place is a waste of time. :D
  30. sneerfulbrute

sneerfulbrute Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Oh come on what are the odds that a player thats sold by Tesco thats dropped nearly fifty percent since its release and that no ones heard of and that no ones bought and tested is going to be worth a fig in real terms.