Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technomate TM-5200d Super Signal Loss

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by beresina, Jun 12, 2011.

1. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I'm new to the world of Satellite TV and wonder if anyone has some advice about the following.
    I recently bought a secondhand Technomate TM-5200d receiver. It appears to work well when first set up, scans and saves all the Astra 28.2 channels fine. However, after what is usually between one and a couple of hours, I start getting "No or bad signal" on all channels, ond and off at first, picture breaking etc., and then completely, just black screen, and any attempt at rescanning for the satellites/channels fails as both the signal quality and strength show as very low - around 50% strength, 20% for quality. And that's it. I can only get the receiver to show near perfect strench and quality, pickup, rescan and store anything again if I keep the receiver unplugged for several hours, and even then, it may only pickup just the few odd channels, only to lose them again.
    By the way, I know every other part of the system functions properly as I have no such problem with another couple of older receivers.

Anyone's got any idea what this may mean? What I should be looking at? Cheers.
  2. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +602
    Sounds like a failing power supply or a part related to power to the lnb - you could try cooling it with a fan & making sure it has as much ventilation & remove it from any other heat source (ie- not on another box or not in a cabinet or not near a radiator) to establish the heating connection to see if it keeps going longer if cooler.

If you have a basic test meter you could monitor the voltage output of the LNB in - should be 13vDC [or 14vDC] & 18vDC - it may be dropping after it warms up.
  3. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Yes, it sounds like a faulty receiver, and I'd be looking at sending it back for full refund.
  4. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the advice.

I've been 'playing' with the receiver this afternoon and can confirm that, indeed, a voltage drop at the LNB output accompanies the loss of signal. However, as I kept the receiver on rather than turn it off after it started failing, I have now found that, once the signal quality and strength has gone, they now again come back by themselves afterwards, but never for very long, at times just a second or two, at other a minute perhaps. Odd.

Could that suggest a false contact of some kind?

Re returning it, not easy, I'm afraid...
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  5. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +308
    95% sure its the power supply, how's your soldering skills?
  6. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Average, I guess. But never soldered anything too complex...
  7. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +308
    If you get stuck you can send it to me & I'll replace the Capacitors on the PSU.
  8. pedro2000uk

Ratings:
    +602
    I'd say it's heating up and then the voltage drops & when it does it could then cause a drop in temperature so it kicks in again for a moment etc. etc.. did you try to cool it ... a fan or hairdryer [on cold] through the vents at the PSU / mains lead side ..

If you are certain you are safe doing this-> you could pop it open & test the outputs of the power supply [they should be marked] & if you find the drop is there then you know it's in the psu & not on the main board.

Also look for any swollen capacitors.
  9. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great. Many thanks for all the help.

I'll spend more time on it tomorrow checking things and get back here. Regarding swollen capacitors, though, I just had a quick look inside and they all look fine, no swelling or bulging as far as I can see.

Thank you again.
  10. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had another look at the receiver.

None of the capacitors are swollen or bulging.
    I checked the voltage at the end of the cable from the PSU board to the motherboard. The cable between the two boards has the following wires: 22V;Grnd;12V;Grnd;5v;3.3V;5V. The measured voltage (at the motherboard end) is steady, the multimeter reading slightly above the indicated Voltage fo each wire, except for the 12V wire, which only returns 11.60V. Is this relevant and would it affect the receiver?

The other thing is, since I removed the PSU & Motherboard to take a close look at all the connections, capacitors etc., the unit has stopped scanning altogether, even when cold, and shows the low readings for signal strength and quality it previously only showed when warmed up. Yet, the voltage at the LNB output is a steady 13.6V. Very confusing.

If the above makes sense to anyone, do let me know...
  11. pedro2000uk

Ratings:
    +602
    Capacitors don't have to swell- it's just easy to spot when they do - they can still fail & look OK.

Hope you didn't short anything- I'm not sure I'd have removed the PSU & mother board at this stage- it's just looking for the easy stuff - basically failed capacitors or replacing the psu is an easy fix.
  12. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid it looks like I might well have shortened something. Or at least caused something to happen. Still no joy, just low signal quality and strength. Guess I'll just have to write the thing off...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  13. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Had another go and, who knows, maybe someone may be able to advise me about the following.

The receiver is once again working, although with one difference. I have one dish, one LNB and one cable which, using a splitter, ends up feeding two different receivers, one being a Digiquest and the other the Technomate TM5200D.

If I switch on the Technomate receiver alone, I get low strength and quality signal, and no scanning. The Digiquest, on the other hand, works perfectly on its own; 96% signal strength & 94% signal quality.
    And here is what baffling: if I switch on the Technomate while the Digiquest is also switched on, the Technomate suddenly works perfectly, very high signal strength and quality and scans great.

In other words, the Digiquest's voltage to the LNB appears to get back to the Technomate via the splitter along the cable and somehow gets it to kick into life.

Anyone has a clue what this means? And what I should be looking at?

Cheers.
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    It's typical of using a splitter.
    Have you tried daisy-chaining the receivers instead, or, much better, considered getting a new LNB witrh a separate connection for each of them?
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  15. pedro2000uk

Ratings:
    +602
    It's not the voltage that is getting back to the Technomate- it's the rf from the lnb ....... the Digiquest is powering the LNB - the LNB then transmits an RF signal [basically the satellite signal of the band/pol that the lnb is on .... but at L band] back down the coax so both receivers see the RF just like two TVs on the same split aerial feed.... except the TM can't control which band the lnb is on so it will only see channels on the band/pol that the Digiquest is on - they won't all work- only about a 1/4 on any satellite..

Anyway- that usually means the TM is not supplying power (13vDC or 18vDC) & possibly no 22kHz.. to the lnb..

But you could just check the LNB settings to make sure power is set on for the LNB & it's set to univesal lnb [9750/10.600] & that will also set 22kHz to auto [MENU/ SATELLITE SETUP].
  16. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes: Power On for LNB; set to Universal; 22khz set to auto. These seem to be the default settings when switching the receiver on.

By the way, this morning the Technomate unit briefly worked all by itself, as it used to, without the DigiQuest being switched on. Then it lost the channels etc, which all returned when the Digiquest unit was turned on. What happens then though is that, eventually, the Technomate starts to receive and lose the signal, and switch satellite it receives them from, now having the signal from Hotbiard, then from Astra1 and then Astra 2, this last one being the one it is set to receive.

I think I understand. If indeed the trouble is due to the Technomate unit failing to supply power to the LNB, what should I be looking at in terms of repairs. Is it more likely to be a fault with the PSU or the motherboard? Or both. And, theoritically, what components are more likely to be at fault? Capacitors? The tuning unit itself? Would be good to know.
    Thank you.
  17. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    ?
  18. pedro2000uk

Ratings:
    +602
    You pretty much sum it up in that paragraph what anyone would look for - hopefully it's just a capcitor on the PSU- a cheap/ easy fix if it is ... but it could be 1 or more things & any fault - particularly power fault/s on the PSU, can then cause other fault/s & they could be on the main board... [& even other connected gear now]

Years ago we used to have an engineer that would repair faulty stbs/ TVs etc.. - but after seeing 'other' faults after repairs had been done on one part of a peice of equipment where other damage was caused by the original fault and what those faults could do in a worse case - (fire risks & the risks of damaging other equipment) & the costs of repairs versus new equipment nowadays- we have avoided repairs in many cases in recent years- in your case the unit isn't very old but it can easily cost too much to repair than replacing it- ..

you could try a new psu or replace any suspect capacitors
  19. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +568
    Have you considered buying a new one and selling the faulty one?

I've had good results selling faulty equipment on Ebay, just be honest and let people bid away.
  20. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for all the feedback, pedro200uk. As it could more or less be "anything", I'll probably just go on tinkering with it until I accidentaly fix it, or finally get fed up, or, as suggested by kevkbuk, decide to pass it on to someone with more know-how than myself about these things.

I don't understand what 'daisy-chaining' mean. And would such thing get the Technomate to work? I only set up a splitter in order to check the Technomate against my old Digiquest. Normally, I would only have one receiver going, ideally the Technomate on account of its PVR options.
    Cheers.
  21. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    I have a satellite input to my Technomate, and a satellite output from that in a "daisy-chain" to my Technotrend.
    Each works perfectly with the other powered off.
  22. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Thank you for clarifying that. I'll give it a go and, if it works, will consider if if it could be a 'living arrangement'. Cheers.
  23. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I tried this and, perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I get the same results as when the two receivers are "connected" through the splitter.

I have the Digiquest connected to the LNB; working perfectly tuned on Astra 2. The Technomate is connected directly to the Digiquest - Technomate SAT IN to Digiquest SAT OUT. I then scanned the same satellite (Astra 2) on the Technomate, and got and saved most but not all of the channels (for instance, the Technomate did not find ITV1 or Sky news). Then, like when the two receivers share the LNB via a splitter, the Technomate "reception" also becomes intermittent/unreliable, now and again displaying the frustrating no or bad signal message.

So, what I'm wondering is, could it be wrong to scan the Astra 2 satelllite with the Technomate directly connected to the master (Digiquest) receiver? But if that is the case, how can the slave receiver (Technomate) be made to display any channel?

Hope the above makes sense.
  24. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Yes, it does. Have you tried the daisy-chain the other way as I have it, Techno first?
  25. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, haven't tried the other round yet. Will do and see how it works out. Cheers.
  26. beresina

beresina Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Finally got around to try to connect the receivers as suggested in previous posts. No joy, though. No change at all, missing channels etc.
    Cheers.
  27. pedro2000uk

Ratings:
    +602
    I recall you'd given all the information already to rule that out - [but I still kept my fingers crossed it some how worked]
  28. hcy01uk

hcy01uk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My TM5200 USB Super turns faulty now. It shows "no or bad signal". If I removed power cable for a few hours and let it cool down, then power on, the signal is back for about one minute then gone.

I checked the voltages on PSU, they are in normal range, the voltage on LNB is 14/18V, seems ok too. I would like to buy the part but not sure which one? Mainboard or PSU? Looks like Capacitor problem? But do not know which one? Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Similar problem with this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/1470965-technomate-tm-5200d-super-signal-loss.html
  29. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,488
    Hi and welcome to AVF.
    Why did you post in the Freesat forum?