1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technomate 5500cip - a dinosaur???

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by 100949football, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 100949football

100949football Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Hi,

due to the ill-health of my 1.2 metre motorised dish I've been out of the "game" for well over a year now.

My dish has now recovered after surgery!

I have a Technomate 5500 cip motorised receiver which is still apparently working o.k. but I'm wondering if technology has run away from me and whether I should be considering getting a more modern receiver/positioner?

Advice please?
  2. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I could be wrong, but does your receiver have a 36V positioner rather than (or maybe as well as) a DiSEqC positioner.
    If your motor is 36V bear in mind that this is rare in receivers now and you'd need to also get a V-Box to be able to use it.

Whilst the 5500cip is elderly, it depends what you want/need it to do.
    I still use and even more elderly Echostar AD3000IP which still serves it's purpose.

As far as a new box is concerned, you'll get loads of advice on here mainly, I suspect, for Dreambox or similar Linux based machines.
  3. 100949football

100949football Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Hi friend, yes it does have the 36v.
    I just want to get as many channels as i can - preferably "free" with no subscriptions, although I fear these days are probably well gone!
    What is a "Dreambox" and what is "Linux"......I did tell you I felt technology had moved on without me!!!!!!!
    With a 1.2 metre dish and a universal lnb - and the Technomate - what should ~I get in Central Belt of Scotland with clear view all South!
  4. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm afraid the days of "free" channels obtained with the use of CAMs and cards is over, with a very few exceptions.

This may go somewhere to explain Dreambox for which the main appeal appears to be illegal card sharing (discussion of which is not allowed here except in very general terms)

Dreambox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You should be able to receive a fair range of satellites and checking the footprints/dish size on Lyngsat will give a good indication - just click on 'Beam' in the list
    Example Europe, Africa & Middle East - LyngSat

Hot Bird 9 at 13.0°E - LyngSat Maps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. 100949football

100949football Member

Ratings:
    +40

So, d'you reckon my Technomate is probably needing replacing with an upgraded unit?
    In the "good ole days" a dragon cam could pick up a myriad of channels but I understand not so nowadays?
    Foreign football, up-to-date movies, interesting documentaries, and some of the late-night naughties, were my bag?

Are these gone forever?

I've even tried to get hold of the "What Satellite" mag but it too seems to have disappeared?
  6. fernandez

fernandez Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'm afraid the golden days are over:(
    I too, remember the time (not that long ago) when a single card or CAM would get Premiere/Canal+ Scandanavia/D+ Spain/C+ France etc. but the only way now is either official subscription or card sharing.

Have a look at forums like Satdudez/Satmoz/Alsat and you'll get a clearer idea of the situation.

Wotsat, although I haven't bought it for years, appears to be still available
    What Satellite & Digital TV
    What Satellite Magazine Subscriptions | Official Site from Future
  7. 100949football

100949football Member

Ratings:
    +40

Many thanks again friend.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.