1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technika STBHDH2010 Freeview HD Digital Set Top Box

Discussion in 'Freeview' started by cloudsurf, Jun 25, 2011.

1. cloudsurf

cloudsurf Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just picked up a Technika STBHDH2010 Freeview HD Digital Set Top Box for 30 quid from Tescos. Thought this was an amazing bargain, but since I've set it up, I haven't been able to pick up any HD channels, which was the whole point of the purchase. I live in North London (NW10) - so it seems that I would be receiving transmissions from Crystal Palace, which I've now discovered is on low HD output until full switchover. But when I input my postcode in the Freeview HD availability checker it said I would be able to get HD reception. So is that it? I have to wait now until April next year? Or if I sort my aerial out will I get proper HD reception? Is anyone else having this problem?
  2. lbear

lbear Member

Ratings:
    +336
    It would help if you could describe what sort of aerial you have at the moment and if you are able to receive all the SD channels. You should have an outdoor aerial, horizontally polarised (the "fins" or "blades" should be parallel to the ground rather than upright). It should also be pointing roughly SE. You may find you have an aerial directed towards Alexandra Palace but as there are no digital transmissions from there yet, it is picking up the fairly strong signals from Crystal Palace.

Are there any signal strength/quality indicators available on your box? I am not familiar with this particular box's operations but you may be interested to know that it looks like your Technika STBHDH2010 shares the same electronics as the Alba (sold by Argos at £50 "special offer") and the Grundig and Goodmans boxes from Harvard International. The latter two have different cases and do not include a HDMI lead but have almost exactly the same remote controls and manuals and have the external power supply in common as well. It is also sold by Manhattan as their Plaza 700 as you will find out if you go to the support site quoted in your manual. The suppliers forgot to change that reference to the Tesco Helpline.

A quick look at the Grundig manual (page 21) seems to imply there is no manual tune so you cannot search for the HD mux on UHF 31 without doing a full rescan and this is the point at which you get the signal strength bar. By the way, the typical price for the Grundig/Goodmans variant is around £50 to £60 unless you go to Argos who amazingly are still listing it at what must be close to the original release price of £169.99
  3. LazySoAndSo

LazySoAndSo Member

Ratings:
    +4
  4. lbear

lbear Member

Ratings:
    +336
    The much better STBHD IS 2010 is available for £19.97 refurbished in the Tesco outlet store, includes postage. You will need a HDMI lead (£1 in a Store of the same name) and may have to update to the latest software (Support section at www.ch-zero.tv ) which has autoswitching to an HD simulcast. The first release deleted HD channels at the drop of a hat but this was fixed with an OTA update on Channel Zero (not via the HD mux) last year. Not many people implemented that data option, hence the large number of returns they are selling off. They are planning to implement IPTV including BBC iPlayer.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  5. lbear

lbear Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Picked up a £19.97 IS for a friend and checked it over. Obviously a return but no blemishes, working perfectly and had the latest 0161 firmware installed.