Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technika HD box and strange loss of video

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by meggie_dude, Nov 12, 2010.

1. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Well I took possession of one of the STBHDIS2010 boxes yesterday and have a strange issue with the video.
    Got the unit setup first time and real pleased. The picture quality is great on HD.

So sat down to use it in the evening and am having problems with loss of video.
    30-40% of the time I switch channels I completely lose the video on both SD and HD channels. Audio is there - but no video.
    The only way to fix the issue is to power/off/on the unit via the plug.

Clearly this is an issue with the unit and not related to the signal strength as I have two other SD freeview boxes that work fine.

So is this a firmware issue, or is the unit, as I suspect, stuffed - requiring a return.

Appreciate any guidance.

MD
  2. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I think it may be firmware related.

Either that or all the boxes have the same fault.

I take it you got it from tesco-outlet?

I received mine this morning and have exactly the same problem as you.

I did read that adding the HD channels as favourites can help, but it hasn't for me.

Interestingly if you connect the Ethernet connection up, it actually finds your connection.

I have to say that the HD look great.

But I have had the screen go black twice now and I only received it a few hours ago!
  3. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Have you set up the "Channel Zero" function yet? For some reason this appears to be causing the instability in the firmware.

The thing tunes into the Channel Zero carrier the first time you press the "sideways D" button. It takes a bit of time to complete so be patient. Overnight it will acquire the data even though this is not the most useful service.

The data is used to put splash adverts on the EPG and information panel. The blanking appears to be related to the data buffer for this not being initiated.

As a matter of interest, what firmware version are your boxes showing?
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  4. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    H/W: 1.0
    S/W: A3M-ST2A-10-0133
    Build: 10

No I haven't set-up channel zero yet.So I have just pressed it now and it is 'Searching for a service'
  5. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    It has now found 'Trove' and the data will be downloaded in the next '24 hours'

Is it worth just leaving it in standby until tomorrow then when this channel zero has downloaded?

Does this then make the box more stable?
    I usually switch off my box overnight, I assume you can't with these boxes.
  6. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    You should have a screen showing a series of boxes that will fill as the tune progresses. Just leave it to do its thing.

My box is showing the S/W version ending in 0153 That rather confirms my suspicion that Tesco are using the same data channel as Chanel Zero to do software updates rather than using the DTG route. My box is certainly a lot more stable than when I first got it.

Try leaving it on standby overnight for a few days to see if it picks up the firmware. You should always leave Freeview HD boxes on standby and connected to an aerial overnight as they are designed to check for new software and channels during the small hours.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    @batteries, yes I also got it from Tesco Outlet and have the same h/w, s/w and build numbers as you.
    I've also tried adding the HD and BBC1-4 channels to favourites as suggested by lbear (I think) in another thread..

It looks like our fail mode is identical, which is why I assume these boxes were returned to Tesco Direct.
    If the previous owner got this type of issue I am not surprised he/she sent it back. The box is currently unusable, unless you are prepared to watch one channel all day.
    What does surprise me though is that they are not being shipped with the latest version of the firmware, if that is more stable. Leaving it on this version, if that is the issue, is bound to result in further returns.

@lbear
    I have requested Trove - in fact I did so last night - although it does not appear to found its way to my box. I will as you suggest leave this unit for a few days and hopefully I will get the latest f/w uploaded.

Watch this space.
  8. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    @lbear here is a snippet I found on a website:

So it does look like the firmware is broadcast via channel zero:

source:h**p://www.euroinvestor.co.uk/news/story.aspx?id=10989022&bw=20100412005879
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well nothing updated overnight :(

Led is still red.
    No channel zero updates overnight.
    No ads in epg.
    Also the firmware is still the same.

I am going to leave it in standby again all day just in case something actually updates.
  10. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Same for me mate. :thumbsdow
    Used the unit all yesterday evening and it worked without fault.
    Checked it his morning to test for the firmware version and as you say nothing has changed.
    So tuned to he CBBC SD channel for the kids. Back to blank video - b*gg*r!!!
    Will do as you do and leave the unit in standby mode for the next 24hrs.

If anyone knows how to force a manual firmware upgrade would appreciate it.
    Like is there a special service menu available via the remote, as there is on my LG TV.

MD
  11. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    BTW, have ordered a new high gain (25db) masthead amp to replace the old booster I have in the lounge.
    I don't think it will make much difference as hs looks either a h/w or f/w related issue, but willing to try a few things before I send this unit back.
  12. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    If you have no problems with your old freeview set up, there is no reason to suspect your aerial is at fault.

These tuners are very sensitive.

I'm in the east of the Granada region near the Pennines and this receiver picked up Winter Hill (North West) and the Isle of Man transmitters!

I had to select Winter Hill as defaullt for Mux A.
  13. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Yeah, I take your point. I only did this because i was getting intermittent signal on occasion via my TV's SD Freeview receiver, so this was more to fix this. I also noticed that occasionally the technika unit failed to find the HD channels when tuning, when it did find all the SD channels. So maybe I have a marginal signal from my aerial.
    Masthead amps are better than booster units to fix this.
    As I say I think the issue with the loss of video is either firmware or h/w related - not related to signal strength.
  14. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Well the unit now has an amber light instead of the red one.
    Channel 0/Trove is now there, but the firmware has not changed.
    I'm back to the problem with the lack of video. I still get a "No Video Available" box showing - but lots of audio.
    The EPG static menus are all fine - just total lack of video after a few button presses. Arghhhh
    I'll leave it for another 24hrs in standby mode.
  15. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well your doing better than me.

I still have a red led!!!

I think I will give it like you until tomorrow lunch time and then I may well be emailing tesco outlet.
  16. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well my light was amber this morning.

I went out and have just returned and it's gone red again!
  17. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    @batteries
    Well I was doing better than you, then I noticed the box flash something like "CRC" of something similar on the display yesterday and seemed to reboot itself (when I wasn't using it).
    The light went back to red - from amber.
    So I turned it on to check if some new firmware had arrived. Nope.
    But all the Trove/Channel-0 stuff has gone - requiring a retune for that. So I am back to where I was before the weekend. Old Firmware and no trove.
    Have left the unit in standby today while I'm at work and will see what I have when I get home.
    Can you please let me know where you are today and what decision you reach wrt this box.

What we could really do with here is a way to force a firmware upload - or at least some way to start it searching. That does not appear to be happening.
    So if anyone has some magic command via a service menu I would appreciate knowing what it is. :lease:
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  18. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: Looks like our posts crossed m8
  19. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well I've finally had enough of this box.

When it's working the picture is superb, but there is one two many bugs for me.

Bad firmware.

I can't believe they didn't ship it with the latest firmware.

Some of the bugs I had:

MAIN ONE: lose of video when changing channels, requiring you to unplug box to get video back.

Trove crashing overnight and nothing happens when you press the button, requiring you to unplug box.

Trove not updating / staying red.

No firmware updates.

Coming OUT of standby on it's own.

I'm sure there were others, but these are the main ones.

So it is being collected tomorrow.

Shame really. Nice box/picture, awful firmware.
  20. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the update Batteries.
    Exactly the same fail modes and exactly the same opinion.
    Why its not shipped with a more robust/later firmware is totally beyond me.
    I will be passing this link on to Tesco Outlet for comment.

Can I assume you will be asking for a refund and not accepting a replacement?
    I will be asking for a replacement only if I can have a box quaranteed to have the latest firmware pre-installed.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  21. batteries

batteries Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Well I was asked if I wanted a refund or replacement.

Since mine and yours were both old firmware, I thought it's a dead cert you will get the same again.

If you are returning yours, make sure you return it as faulty.

If you just ask for a refund, then you are liable for shipping costs. (10 day selling rules)

If you return it as faulty, then they pay for shipping.

And yes terrible buggy firmware is a fault and is not fit for purpose.
  22. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Well I've finally got somewhere with this box.

After countless emails to Tesco-outlet and several attempt for them to give instructions to upload the latest firmware, I've finally cracked that problem on my own.

The problem appears to be with the HDMI lead. I was using a good quality hdmi lead - well shielded and gold connectors. It had been used on my blu-ray player without issues.
    After asking Tesco for a refund on Friday (not fit for purpose) I yanked the HDMI lead out the box last night and left it to sit there.
    Just before I packed it away today I stole the HDMI lead from my sons xbox and had a quick look. Low and behold the firmware had upgraded to the version ending in 0153 (as posted by lbear above).
    With this HDMI lead it works OK. It hasn't rebooted itself and I haven't lost video so far today.
    It's a revelation.
    Will soak test today and cancel the refund if its OK by tomorrow morning.

If this does work then I have another suggestion to all those who want to have a go at these Technika refurb boxes. They are very fickle and need a very good aerial signal. They also for some reason struggle wrt the HDMI signal. If you have issues getting the latest firmware, (and trust me the preloaded version is pants) leave your hdmi lead unplugged overnight and it may get the upgrade. You might also consider investing in a new better quality HDMI lead with in-line ferrite suppressors. That seems (thus far) to have solved my issues.

MD
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  23. townfan

townfan Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Just bought one of these and was terrible to start with but after updating firmware it seems alot better.

See link below for latest firmware and instructions on how to install

Channel Zero • Support
  24. meggie_dude

meggie_dude Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for that Townfan. :clap:
    Just downloaded and updated the f/w. Will so how it goes.

MD
  25. townfan

townfan Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I also had alot of problems with video and audio drop out/losing picture/sound stuttering etc, my signal strength is only 35-40% so I thought this was the problem.

I put on the grand prix earlier and was going to turn it off and watch it on SD instead but I changed the resolution from 1080 to 720 and watched the whole race without one drop out.

I'm not sure if this is a coincidence but it worked for me.
  26. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    There are a couple of things to note if you have problems watching in HD apart from signal problems.

1. The box has settings for 1080i and 1080p. Not all 'HD Ready' as opposed to Full HD televisions will accept the latter setting and display it. If you get sound but a blank screen this could be the cause, also check the HDMI lead is firmly in.

2. In the Advanced settings, make sure that HDCP is turned on.

For some reason I found that the wide setting had changed to 'pan/scan' which gives a centre cut out and 'fat' pictures. The proper setting should be 16:9, assuming you have a widescreen set.
  27. townfan

townfan Member

Ratings:
    +30
    This box is annoying me now, worked fine last weekend and now can't get a picture on any channel.

Retuned, factory reset, set to 576 resolution, HDCP on, set to widescreen and no picture only audio.

Any suggestions??
  28. chriswyatt

chriswyatt Member

Ratings:
    +13
    That's weird, what's the signal quality like?

Press OK to look at the channel list, then press exit twice and that should bring up some reception info.

If it's on all the channels it sounds like the problem lies elsewhere. Only other thing I'd try is keeping the box turned off for a while and turning it back on again, otherwise it sounds like maybe it's faulty. I assume the on-screen display is working?
  29. townfan

townfan Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Signal 40%, Quality 50% on BBC HD

Signal 40%, Quality 100% on BBC2

On screen menus and guide are displayed.

I just keep getting the message "Video not available"

Perhaps my signal isn't strong enough.
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  30. hen

hen Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, have been following this Technika thread, with interest, and all the useful information that has come out of it. Last week I bought an LG 50PK350 50" plasma and one of these STBdis2010 boxes from Tesco Direct, the TV was a good price at £499 and the box was £30, I was not willing to pay out on the Humax HD box.

The TV 's great so far :D, but as expected the box started to give a range of probs as others have discovered, we've got a good signal 95%+ but after tuning, finding channels missing, refusing to go onto standby, even after resetting and retuning numerous times, but whilst it was running on HD, the pics are outstanding for a box of this price. Got Channel Zero, then it disappeared along with a couple of HD channels and BBC1 and Channel 5, so downloaded the firmware upgrade mentioned earlier in the thread, and it seems to have worked, have now got manual tuning in the menu, and one or two other items. I did this early evening yesterday, and all channels have come up, pics are really good and stable on SD and the HD channels are brilliant, went into standby a couple of times and back on and all seemed well, so I'm hoping it might hold, but it probably won't:(. Shame because if it doesn't there's nothing much else around at this kind of price to get you started on HD.

Tesco's helpline are helpful, and are happy to change the box etc., but don't have any info regards clearing these glitches.:)