Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technika Freeview HD Box

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by vassey, May 29, 2010.

1. vassey

vassey Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey All!
    I saw a big stack of Technika Freeview HD boxes on sale in Longton Tesco Extra today, retailing for £99.99. The area is served almost exclusively by the Fenton transmitter, not switching until next year. They are in a generic Technika green box, as opposed to Freeview HD black..... Anyone know anymore about them.. ie are they the same as the Argos boxes? the boxes were open when I looked, the box wasnt as big as a Sky+HD box, about the size of a large modern DVD player, and with a rubbish looking remote.
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Technika is of course Tesco's own brand name so this is obviously going to appear under a number of different badge names. The box sounds big for a Freeview HD unit and suggests there is plenty of room for air to circulate, implying the power supply is not a separate unit, I believe the ones from Argos have a separate brick so they may not be the same unit,
  3. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    Correction. It looks like it is a slightly differently boxed version of the Bush sold at Argos. The three front button and display are similar and the are the same length and depth.

Buy Bush DVB680 Black Freeview HD Set Top Box. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Technika STBHDV2010 Freeview HD Set Top Box - Tesco.Direct

PS I see Argos are doing their special offer of a half price SCART lead with their box LOL.

The reviews on Argos are mixed and complaints highlight the box auto-offing, poor response from the remote control and a slow EPG, lack of proper "through" of the RF so turnng off the box cuts the signal to the set,
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  4. raydawson

raydawson Member

Ratings:
    +27
    The auto-offing is not a problem, but a configuration option easily changed via the settings menu. Apparently it's an EEC thing that if an electronic device hasn't been touched for so many hours (6?) it goes to standby. It is easily tirned off, as above.

Removing power to the Bush/Argos box does cut the RF out - as does just about any box. Going to standby doesn't. I have mine sitting in the back room, connected to the LCD TV with the RF looped through it, but in standby. When I want HD, I turn it on.

Cheers,

Ray D
  5. Brava 210

Brava 210 Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I see Technika are rebadging a Fetch TV HD PVR 320gb, I wonder what the price will be....
  6. chong168

chong168 Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Just purchased one from my local Tesco. The website spec is wrong, there is only 1 scart port and an HDMI cable is included (although I think they threw it in at the last minute at the factory as the plastic packaging that contains the remote and cables had a second layer of sellotape around it.

Plugged everything in and was watching HD content in about 10mins. The remote is the standard ones that you get with cheap dvd players, but the response times were ok.
  7. Gzero

Gzero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you by any chance have an amp or something you could hook it up to and see if like the Bush box can transcode 5.1 aac to DD?

Thanks for reporting your experience with the box btw.
  8. Gzero

Gzero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Went out and got one myself today. Disappointing, there is no coaxial output on it, just optical. I'm taking it back without trying it.
  9. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +891
    How is the SD and HD picture quality over HDMI? Does it have BBC iPlayer support?
  10. Chris1712

Chris1712 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    So is this another Vestel box? DD 5.1 working ok?
  11. Gzero

Gzero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I bought it again :3 couldn't resist.

Not sure about DD 5.1, couldn't find something that is 5.1. DD does work, but I'm only getting stereo (2 channels output). Set it back to pcm, and left my amp expanding stereo with pro logic instead.

Tesco site is wrong like I said before, no coaxial and the menus look the same as someone posted of the Bush.

Mine came with version 2.44 installed.

Also note that whilst your standard dvb-t channels may have decent strength, be prepared to go readjusting your loft aerial for the HD channels (most of the time it is at medium strength, but going into the menu can cause it to dip to poor which makes it cut out or block up). I'll wait for the next update to see if it's a firmware issue.
  12. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Got one of these earlier today.

Connected it first via a SLX booster. Bought and connected a 91element loft aerial in the loft area of my den. Connected that to a freeview box and found that the signal level was low but quality was 50%. With the booster i had a 10% improvement.

Packaging is fairly standard but i've got to say i'm generally quite impressed. Connected up initially via my amplifying booster thingamejig. Scanned and discovered all SD channels but no HD. How dissapointing. BBC one was flicker free but itv kept getting blocky. I then decided to do away with the booster and connect directly... VOILA! :thumbsup: A quick auto scan and there they were, ITV, BBC and CH4 in glorious 1080p. Clear and sharp. Better in a way than sky HD which maxes out at 1080i. Sky is around 10% sharper for me but hey i'm looking at a 3mtr screen, sure it'd be fine on a 50".

I've had no blockiness at all. My advice would be to connect directly without boosters. Made all the difference for me.

Haven't been able to get any DD5.1 so far. I've only really bought this for the world cup. The great thing with the Tesco one is that you get a 28 day money back guarantee... so once the world cup is over :devil: Of course i shouldnt suggest anyone do that.. If however you end up with a blocky image or get interference you have at least the peace of mind that you could return. £100 is a very decent price for this receiver imho. Mind you, in a couple of years time these will be around a tenner each. For the world cup on a big screen you cant go wrong though. Plus you do away with all the hassle of installing a satellite dish or anything with this. Brilliant so far, very impressed. 9.5/10

People have compained about the epg. Its fine for me, i just wanted HD footy on bbc and ITV. I've got that, dont care about the epg not watching that!

£100 in your local Tesco. A no brainer for instant HD without a dish or monthly contract. I'm now thinking of cancelling my sky and enjoying the free channels...
  13. Chris1712

Chris1712 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    This sounds good :cool:. Problem is, If I bought it today I'd have to take it back the day before the Final :thumbsdow.
  14. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    God your optimistic... The World cup for me ends when England go out. I never thought that far ahead. If they do get to the final i'll watch it on sky HD indoors!

You could always buy it in readiness for the next england game next week. :p
  15. Chris1712

Chris1712 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    haha! Well I just went and got it. I figured, I'll watch the Final no matter who it is, but if its England I don't mind paying for the box and if its not well i don't mind enduring it in *shudder* SD.

Well, it works! I'm stunned. I live in a rickety old student house with what looks like a £3.99 ALDI aerial tentatively balanced on the roof, but it ruddy works!

Dead chuffed, oh and to everyone thinking of buying I'd just like to confirm it DOES come with an HDMI cable regardless of what the packaging says.
  16. GEOFFLOCKWOOD

GEOFFLOCKWOOD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Got box from tesco £100 set up easy, set active channels to favourites,marked the channels i wanted as favourites saved everything went back into list, favourites, and whilst the list showed the channels marked as favourites it also showed every channel, which makes the point of marking favourites pointless.
    Tesco help line didn't even have a manual!
    So swapped it for a new box and that has the same problem so that ones going back as well.
    Anyone else experienced this?

Geoff
  17. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    No idea.. but i'm finding that if i for example am watching itvhd and select channel + i'd expect to go from channel 51 to 52... Instead it keeps going to cbbc!?

Also noticed that the itvhd coverage dropped down from HD toSD during the game.. was that the box or the actual coverage? I'll do some research.
  18. vassey

vassey Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Nope, ITV1 HD is currently flipping between SD and HD for some unknown reason. On another point, the Technika box is now a different size, shape and design than the one I first saw a couple of weeks ago.
  19. GEOFFLOCKWOOD

GEOFFLOCKWOOD Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Had to exchange 2nd box, same problem, got the new style box with 2 scart sockets and a much improved manual, not only tells you what you can do and also tells you how to do it. So by the looks of it this new style will solve my problems/dis-satisfaction. Unfortunately cant test it tonight as this time the info on the box is correct - there isn't an hdmi cable nor scart lead nor aerial connector! But for the same £100 if i can sort by favourites and use the timer as a reminder i will be more than happy. The model is stbhdis2010 and it receives channel zero - wow

regards
    geoff
  20. Chris1712

Chris1712 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Interesting, mine had an HDMI cable included so I guess this could indicate its a v1? I'm not fussed, all I do is turn it on and press 50 or 51 and enjoy the football :thumbsup:.

Will take a pic of mine just so we have some documentation of these version differences.
  21. Gzero

Gzero Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The original also receives channel zero :devil:.
  22. ShamblesX

ShamblesX Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Right. Question for you guys.

Just bought a pair of these for belated fathers day pressies. Just fitted my fatha's up and connected it to his Bravia 37". Each time the stb is powered on from standby it does an HMDI check (settling on 1080i50) then goes straight to EPG on BBC1. Is this behaviour normal?

Don't want to unpack the other stb just yet.
  23. ShamblesX

ShamblesX Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Ok I've had enough of this box.

Fatha reported "no picture" so when I went round it had locked up. He'd changed from TV to radio to TV.

Rebooted, but had lost the HD channels. Did a full factory reset and it found the 3 HD channels but when trying to select one, a message popped up "New Service Added" followed by "LCN is changed". Couldn't then select 50, 51 or 52 ("invalid entry" reported).

They're going back tomorrow.
  24. SirPeter

SirPeter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    YES - reboots to BBC1 in menu.

When you re-tune select "no" when it asks you to "view channels." For some reason the "yes" selection loses HD!

Try that first and see how you go.

Yes - a bit buggy, but all the boxes crash now and then. The above will probably be solved with a software update.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  25. ShamblesX

ShamblesX Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Thanks for confirming

Yep already tried that. Still no HD.

Took the boxes back this morning - no quibbles from Tesco.

Thanks for your reply.
  26. SirPeter

SirPeter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your experiences. For the record do you have the old (larger box with HDMI lead) or the new version (smaller with no lead)? I have the smaller and this is the latest.

I bought this with the expectation of some problems. Early software is never right and I wouldn't recommend you play with the system. Up and down the channel menu seems to be the most stable. I got a top-of-the-range HUMAX box for downstairs and that locks now and then. A cold reset will solve most problems in both cases. Not making excuses - but a fact of life.

You don't need to do a factory reset to get back the lost HD channels. I save them as favourites so I can get them via the heart button. A cold start (turn off at the wall) gives you the best chance of a successful return.
  27. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    And you can still use the on line discount code to reduce it further to £50
  28. NCS1

NCS1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    And if you don't mind a refurb they're going for £39.97 & free P&P on Ebay from the tesco-direct outlet.
  29. clemenzina

clemenzina Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Just received one of the refurbs today. Very easy to set up, HD reception fine with an indoor aerial (am quite close to Crystal Palace). As for PQ - have viewed very little so far today, not my sort of programmes on this evening. Either my Panasonic plasma 720p TV is brilliant at upscaling SD transmissions or there's not a lot of difference - am waiting for some football to see if it's worth the £40.

I said that the PVR version reminded me of a Vestel but was told it wasn't related. Well, I'd say that this STB definitely is - the menus are so similarly presented, for one thing, and for another, the Technika remote control operates my Vestel PVRs :eek: Anyone know how to change the signal channel?

clemenzina
  30. prking

prking Member

Ratings:
    +203
    There are at least two different Technika HD boxes and a PVR. Each with different model numbers.
    I have seen two versions of a chinese model and a vestel box, plus the Fetch PVR.
    I think it would be a good idea for people to post the model number to prevent confusion.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1