1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tdl Kv6

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by northernmunki, Jan 14, 2005.

1. northernmunki

northernmunki Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought myslef some TDL KV6 spaeakers and a NAD C320BEE amp from Richer Sounds. I was expecting to be blown away with the performance compared to my old JVC compact system. Yes its more powerful and sounds better however I think I'm missing the wow factor. It cost me just short of £400 so was expecting a lot more. I've tried my friends Celestion floor standers and they sound different, less bass. I know this is all very subjective and if i like it then thats all that matters. Im not seeing many reviews for TDL, the next size up Studio 10 do seem to get mixed reviews though.

I listen to the usual pop/rock music, and quite a lot of it is DAB and MP3. I've used CD's and MP3 for my testing.

I find the speakers very rumbley (is this a word!) and I find I have to turn the bass way down on the amp but then its not punchy and clear.

What does anyone think about my choice? Is the amp OK but the speakers could do better?

Any responses welcome.

Thanx
  2. Kazman

Kazman Active Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Nothing wrong with the amp, but I think you can do much better on the speakers.

Mordaunt Short MS906, MS904 or ideally MS914's would give you MUCH better performance in my opinion.
  3. gazbarber

gazbarber Active Member

Ratings:
    +824
    From least expensive and effort to the most.

Play around with the settings on the amp you might be able to find a more desirable sound also speaker placement does make a big difference esp with bass, in my experience. There is a corner in my living room where all the bass seems to 'well' which is strange, so move the speakers around and see if you can get a better sound.
    Also spikes may help, this can isolate the speakers and let them put more energy into moving air rather than being wasted as it could be transfered through the floor otherwise.

Alos try better speaker cables, i can recomend the chord canival although it is £5.50 a meter, will get it from sevenoaks and some websites. Never really noticed any difference between cheaper stuff so this is a step up and never tried anything more expensive.
    What source are you using as better interconnectors could help to.
    If non of this sort it then try some different speakers, blunt but true. As nad is known for it's quality electronics and TDL well, they look nice but i've never actualy heard any.
  4. northernmunki

northernmunki Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the response guys, the Mordaunt Short 914 do seem to get good reviews on this forum and other sites, maybe I have to give them a go.
  5. Kazman

Kazman Active Member

Ratings:
    +137
    You need to remember that TDL and Mordaunt Short are both owned by the same company that owns Richer Sounds. Mordaunt Short however are a lot more mature under the Julian Richer banner, and have tried and tested products. TDL are an unknown quantity at the moment, and ones I've heard (on the shop floor mind you) sounded absolutely awful.

The MS914's are great speakers, I used to have a pair, and justifiably have received great reviews in many magazines including hi-fi choice and what hi fi.
  6. gazbarber

gazbarber Active Member

Ratings:
    +824
    Ricehr is owned by MS? If you link that all the way up that means that Denon own Richer, but Richer doesn't sell any of their products?
  7. Kazman

Kazman Active Member

Ratings:
    +137
    No, Julian Richer heads a group called Audio Partnership.

And Audio Partnership own Richer Sounds, they also own Mordaunt Short, TDL, Gale, Ariston Acoustics, Audio/Video Innovations, Opus, Cambridge Audio and a few other brands.

Marantz and Denon are sister companies, but they are the European distributers of Mordaunt Short.
  8. northernmunki

northernmunki Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys but I don't really care too much about who owns who. I just want my £400 of hard work to sound good! Ive called the shop and they can't understand why they aren't up to the job. They suggested to bring them in and try them in the shop. Maybe i can audition them against the 914's. My local Richer hasn't got the listening room anymore though. Open 'till 7 so I'm going now!
  9. northernmunki

northernmunki Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well here I am at home listening to my new Mordaunt Short 914's. Wow...what a difference! Much more to my taste and no more rumble. :thumbsup:
  10. Kazman

Kazman Active Member

Ratings:
    +137
    It really annoys me that RS try to peddle to the unsuspecting these awful TDL speakers. I'm REALLY glad you got your system sorted northernmunki, the MS914's are cracking speakers for the money, excellent timing, mid range and dynamics.

I just feel sorry for those that get conned into the TDL's and have no way out. I just hope enough people read this thread so they are aware of the poor quality of most TDL speakers and don't believe the salesperson when they are told that the TDL's 'rock'.

Long live AV Forums, here to save the nice guy :)
  11. northernmunki

northernmunki Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The guy i delt with in the shop this evening said he had some at home they are fantastic. Then began to tell me he was only using them for front AV speakers with a sperate sub. No wonder he doesn't hear the rumble! Its a real shame they dont have a listening room anymore but I do like the fact he took them back with no questions. He didn't even open the box to check them.

Now I need to start tweaking bits so my IRver and DAB tuner sound propper bo! Been using my sisters old Technics SLP277 CD as a source, she can have it back now!

Thanks for the advise, its much appreciated. Well worth reading the forums and using the search tool. :smashin:
  12. mutantenemy

mutantenemy Guest

Ratings:
    +0