1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TalkMobile - Nano Sims

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by elbraddo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. elbraddo

elbraddo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone else here on TalkMobile? Any useful info re: Nano sim availability?

I've gotten conflicting information from customer service reps. Some have said "go into any CPW store and pick one up" (no stores actually have any), some reps have said they have no idea when stores will receive stock of nano sims. Some reps have said that there's no guarantee that stores actually will receive Talkmobile nano sims.

All a bit of a hodge podge really. If I wasn't on an insanely good pay monthly tarriff then it'd be bye byes.
  2. elbraddo

elbraddo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    If anyone cares, I just got a straight answer. An email was sent to Talkmobile customer service employees this afternoon saying that there are no nano sims on order, and it'll likely be December before any are available.

Looks I'll be attempting sim surgery come Friday.
  3. Bigmonty69

Bigmonty69 Member

Ratings:
    +59
    That's ridiculous. Can you not move to a decent provider?
  4. sdemmery

sdemmery Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm a TM customer at the end of my contract so had the intention of getting an iPhone 5 from apple and changing to a 30 day TM nano sim but looks like that's out of the window. Looked at cutting my sim down but I have a Galaxy S2 which uses an old 2FF style sim which is the one you cant cut down. Guess my solution might be to ring TM and switch to a micro sim then cut that down, just waiting to see how the guys over on the GiffGaf forum get on with there cut downs, seems everyone's has done it over there, but of coarse no one can test until Friday.

Before anyone says why not switch to another provider, I have no coverage at home on any provider other than one that uses the voda network and vodafones offering directly is ridiculously expensive for what you get

Cheers
    Stu
  5. elbraddo

elbraddo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    oh of course I'm moving. Will pick up an O2 sim today.

I wonder what would happen to a TM customer who was contracted to stay with the network for longer.......

It really is absurd that a communications company backed by a phone retailing behemoth like CPW, could fail to have provision for their customers to use the most recognised and anticipated phone on the planet. I have to wonder whether TM will continue to be a going concern. It does have a tinge of "winding things down" to it.
  6. qwerta369

qwerta369 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I called TM earlier today. I was told that the latest info is that they'll be getting nano sims around December 2012 / January 2013 time. :eek:
  7. sdemmery

sdemmery Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I was thinking exactly the same thing their website has always been dire, but of late it tends to look like an empty shop window these days :confused:
  8. JulieJ

JulieJ New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm waiting to get the Iphone5 and have also been told that the nano sim won't become available until December. I am stuck in a contract with Talkmobile until April and as much as I want the new iPhone I can't bring myself to waste 7 months line rental!! I can't wait to get back to 02, even if their tariffs aren't as competitive as Talkmobile as the coverage I get is rubbish!!!!
  9. qwerta369

qwerta369 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just cut your existing sim. I practiced on around 8 spare, working sims I have in stock. Every one worked fine.
  10. elbraddo

elbraddo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey JulieJ, why don't you have a crack at getting let out of the contract? Clearly it's not good enough service to expect you to maintain a contract if they cannot provide a nano sim like every other network in the country. If I was in your position I'd make a fuss to the customer service rep and keep escalating it until you get a result. Tweet their customer service team on Twitter. Make a bit of rah rah and they'll fold pretty easily I'd imagine. Keep us posted!
  11. elbraddo

elbraddo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Qwerta. Did you have genuine micro sims with the small chips? My Talkmobile micro sim looked like it was cut from an original 2FF. The gold contacts go pretty much all the way to the edge.
  12. qwerta369

qwerta369 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've cut micosims to nanosims and minisims to nanosims. It doesn't matter if you cut through the gold contacts at the edge as they're unused.
  13. elbraddo

elbraddo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    cool. Good to know. Thanks.
  14. akthus

akthus New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I cut my talkmobile standard sim to the nano sim size using a paper template I got from the web.

All I get now is "No sim" on the iphone.

I had practiced on a Giff Giff sim and that had worked.

The sim from talkmobile had a weird pattern on it which made it difficult to work out where not to cut. Some gold contact (more than the giffgaff) came off.

Anybody else had success in cutting a talkmobile sim ?