1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking a camera into the o2 Arena?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MistaG, Feb 25, 2012.

1. MistaG

MistaG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Can anyone advise on this, a search of the net reveals mixed messages.

I intend to take a Sony NEX5n into a gig tomorrow night, it is a relatively small camera and even though it has interchangeable lenses I will take just a small 'pancake' lens, so in essence it will be little bigger than a compact and nowhere near as big as a DSLR.

( I will not be taking or using the flash incidentally )

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :)
  2. Dony

Dony Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,719
    I was worried about the same thing last year at the O2 in Dublin. I needn't have worried, and only wish I'd taken my zoom lens as well as my kit lens. I disabled the flash beforehand so it didn't go off my mistake!

BTW, my camera's a DSLR, and I brought it into the venue in my camera rucksack.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,082
    I think it's all at the discretion of the management/performer, so varies for different events.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. weetsie

weetsie Member

Ratings:
    +515
    why non 35mm?
  5. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,759
    I took my Friend's nikon D200s with some "pro" lens and they got all ****** with me about it and I ended up sneaking it in anyways.

they wanted to keep it in a box with other cameras but no way was that happening.

I think that is a bit of pro equipment though so that's why they got ****** about it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,082
    I've edited my post... I meant so long as it's not a 35mm film "type" camera, ie a DSLR but it seems they've dropped that in favour of lens size, coincidentally 35mm :) and anything they class as large.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MistaG

MistaG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    image-653576502.jpg

That's the size of it, I'm probably worrying unnecessarily.
  8. Woodsie

Woodsie Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Noel Gallagher?
  9. beastofrock

beastofrock Member

Ratings:
    +117
    a camera that size you probably wont have to worry but having photographed bands professionally including Oasis I know they are very funny with cameras not sure if that would be the same with Noel though
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Noggin1980

Noggin1980 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,138
    02 are pretty tough on cameras, but we have still managed to always get in with ours (dslr big zoom lens), as long as you get through the door you'll be fine they won't take it off you for taking photos just tell you not too (of course once told off best not to push it, we normally go with a 2 strikes rule, stop after 2 tellings off unless the first telling off seems serious then stop straight away), pretty much everyone will be taking photos but they don't seem to care about mobile phones and tiny compacts.

I'd take it and not worry to much but there is a bit of risk if you are searched on the way in as they do bag searches on random people normally (not very good bag searches admittedly, we've got in with ours despite being searched)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. MistaG

MistaG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Yes indeed mate :)

In response to the other comments it will fit in my jacket side pocket so will not be taking a cumbersome bag, also I will refrain from use after even the merest telling off!!

I am seated right up on level 4, some distance from the stage area so hopefully will be left alone.

Thanks all :)
  12. Dony

Dony Active Member

Ratings:
    +2,719
    I didn't hide mine at all...they just didn't search the correct compartment of my camera bag. :D
  13. Woodsie

Woodsie Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Nice one, I went to the Manchester show the other week at the MEN Arena.
    Fantastic show, I'm off to my local Vue Cinema as they're broadcasting the O2 show into selected cinemas :)
    Enjoy!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. MistaG

MistaG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Cool mate, seen the Vue Cinema ads on the HFB app, bet the MEN gig was good.
    Saw them at HMV forum (Kentish Town) in October, intimate gig and will be interesting to see how the big arena show compares.. Happy days, cheers :)
  15. Woodsie

Woodsie Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Yea it was different to the Apollo when I went im October but definitely in a good way.

He has the choir and a 3 piece brass band on this UK leg and that adds much more depth, combined with the arena crowd = :clap:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,250
    it depends on the artist more than the venue. most don't allow big SLR professional type cameras, and will ask you to check them at the door or leave in the car. small digital cameras they will usually let you in with, but it depends if you can use them or not. as so many people have digital cameras there isn't usually too much they can do, but if you spent half the night standing up taking photos the security might ask you to stop, and they will often have a 3 strikes policy if they ask you not to take photos

historically it's normally been flash photography bands don't like, or big lenses that can give professional shots that can be sold

you can also check the artists fansites to see what other fans say about cameras at gigs to get an idea of the artists stance on photos and recording in general at gigs. some don't mind, some are a bit anal about it
  17. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +349
    awesome camera, i have the NEX-5 - you might find a bigger lens more useful though, but the pancake is spot on for discreet.
  18. MistaG

MistaG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Well folks, went to the gig last night, had the NEX5 in my jacket pocket.

Upon going through the airport style security check I was fleeced, camera revealed, the security guy immediately stated 'no cameras with detachable lenses allowed in'.

He suggested going to the VIP desk where they 'might hold my camera for me'. Bugger!!!

I sauntered off round a corner and detached the lens, stuffed it in my back jeans pocket and passed it off as just a little compact through another checkpoint.

Got some nice shots from inside the gig too. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759
    ha nice one mate, same thing that I did!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. weetsie

weetsie Member

Ratings:
    +515
    i guess with NEX if you slide it out of your pocket with the LCD on the outside and no lens you can say its just a compacts and shove it back in without giving them a look at the front.

i got into a gig with a 35mm camera, he was not gonna let me in until he realised it was a film camera, i think maybe he was confusing disposables being allowed with all film cameras. :confused: little did he know shooting film at 6400 f/2 is quite effective :devil:
  21. Deadringers

Ratings:
    +1,759
    Eurgh why do these places think we are all pros who are then going to sell our pictures?

with any kind of equipment that you can carry in your pocket or round your neck you are not going to get brilliant photos of whoever it is on stage when you are on the otherside of the stadium. you would have to be a lot closer and have bigger lenses that is a little more than you can just hang round your neck for anything worth selling.

I'll upload some of my pictures of the Federer / Murray match later on and show you what I got with the Nikon I borrowed from my friend...Very far away and I doubt any one would want to buy them!
  22. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,250
    if you were down the front you could get some decent photos though, and could potentially sell them or use them in newspapers or blogs. just because you walk in with a ticket with one seat number doesn't mean you won't have another ticket, swap seats or hand the camera to someone else who was down the front. you should see some of the photos my friends have taken from front row at the o2 at gigs. having been to the o2 enough times, if i was front row and there was a band on certain cameras only in certain seating areas, i'd just have someone else i know bring in the cameras from another area and pass it to me inside

artists don't usually mind so much the snap shots that are blurry and out of focus and far away, but for the same reason the press are only allowed the first 3 songs of gigs to take photos, they don't want shots of them looking all sweaty and worn out towards the end of the show. you can't make that out easily with crappy shots, but a decent camera down the front, and you can. plus artists don't like flashes going off too close to the stage as it can blind them for a second, which on top of not being nice, and being sore on the eyes, could cause them to trip and fall

now if the artist did trip and fall or something else unusual happened at the gig, then that's when a decent photo could make money
  23. alphaomega16

alphaomega16 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    I went last year with my nephew and took my 400D with me, they took it from me because the lenses were changeable and therefor a professional camera and as such wasnt allowed. I was like *** what the hell am I going to do with the photos its not like the newspapers are going to want to post anything about wrestling or anything and the event is being filmed anyway.
  24. MistaG

MistaG Member

Ratings:
    +38
    A couple of snaps outside the venue..

image-3332485773.jpg

image-740770048.jpg
  25. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +349
    hope you had the sensor protected when you took the lens off. :smashin:
  26. pixelpixel

pixelpixel Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,776
    Was that to the WWE ? If so they can be really funny regarding cameras in general. Last time I was @ the WWE I was a seat filler for them. That was crazy.
  27. alphaomega16

alphaomega16 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Yes it was mate.
  28. Marc

Marc Member

Ratings:
    +1,094
    the WWE will always be a bit funny about it, because it's so easy to make them look bad with photos showing that moves like the brogue kick or punt kick don't actually connect the way they pretend it does, or before they became PG rated, showing guys "blading". They catch enough of that on their own TV broadcasts without the crowd getting in on the action :D
  29. smashed

smashed Active Member

Ratings:
    +171
    I went to see Neyo / Pussycat Dolls with the wife. Thought it was a good chance to try the new DSLR (a £200 Sony).
    They clocked me taking photos with it and then hauled me out of the event, to the front (to hand it in)…and gave me a ticket to reclaim it.
    I was told a normal camera was ok but mine was a DSLR. Ridiculous. I was side on to the show so the photos were a bit pointless. They should be more concerned about people videoing it in the front blocks and sticking it on YouTube.
    I lost about 15minutes of the show (no loss to me) but I was still very unimpressed.
  30. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,250
    you do understand that talking about the pussycat dolls without any photos is pointless? ;)