Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tactile Transducer Manufactures List

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by m4rky_m4rk, Apr 9, 2010.

1. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Here is a list of transducer manufactures and some of the AVF members with experience of them. Click the link I made from the manufactures name to see the web sites.

Guitammer ButtKicker Transducers
    Members: Richardc1983, thakursachin, Ballistix999, bad robot, SamV, Derek S-H, raheelqureshi, Nowayman, swiftpete, Wull

EarthquakeSound Quake Transducers
    Quake 10 and 10b
    Members: m4rky_m4rk, rjrodders, stevefish69, supahyp, Moonfly, Suave, ahakd, VHT, Normal Bias, g1ng3r, Smurfin, Got2LoveGadgets, Point Zero, iMart
    Miniquake
    Members: museumsteve

Aura Sound Bass Shakers
    Members: Cliff, BOOMERANGBUBB, Lovelyhead

Beyma Bass Shakers
    Members: no one yet, these transducers are similiar to Aura Sound

Crowson Tactile Motion Actuators
    Members: avanzato, Mitor

Clark Synthesis Transducers
    Members: Paul Smith, Tophet808

Sonic Immersion Technologies Vibro-Tactile Ibeam
    Members: Suave

General TT talk thread

User reports
    There are several dedicated threads detailing members experiences of Quake, Buttkickers and other transducers.
    Click the link I made out of the authors names to see their report:

Quake
    10b
    m4rky_m4rk
    smurfin
    Got2LoveGadgets
    Point Zero
    MiniQuake
    museumsteve

Buttkicker
    raheelqureshi

Crowson
    mitor

Comparisons
    Buttkicker, Quake, Ibeam shootout
    Big sub vs Quake Transducer

No doubt I have missed a few useful posts. Just just let me know and I will add a link.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  2. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,761
    useful info, thanks mate :)
  3. avanzato

avanzato Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I haven't been using the Crowson for a while now as I broke it.

The sofa moved and the leg caught on the edge of the Crowson rather sitting directly on top of it, I didn't notice and it eventually came apart.

Was good while it worked.
  4. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +447
    Add me to the list of guitammer will you mark!
  5. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Done
  6. g1ng3r

g1ng3r Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Can you add me to the Quake Transducers owners list mate. Cheers :)
  7. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Done,

Care to comment on your setup and experiences? I watched Tron Legacy last night and the Quake added a lot to the experience.
  8. g1ng3r

g1ng3r Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Current setup, sub bass wise, is:

Behringer EP4000 Power Amp
    Behringer Ultra-Dyne Pro DSP 9024
    Ascendant Audio Havoc 15" 4.5cuft ported enclosure

BK Monolith FF

Behringer A500 Power Amp
    Earthquake Q10B

It's definitely a worthwhile purchase! I find that it immerses you into the movie a lot more, which definitely makes the whole experience much more exciting. I watched the first 15 mins of Tron today and forgot to turn on the Earthquake, I instantly realised this as everything felt so flat and boring...its actually quite surprising how much difference it makes.

My friend popped over last night to test it out, and he loves it lol. Hes now decided to order a ButtKicker Gamer 2 to go on his PC chair.

I would rate this product 10/10 and would recommend everyone to buy one or at least find somewhere to test one. Overall its one of the best purchases I have made :thumbsup:
  9. swiftpete

swiftpete Active Member

Ratings:
    +447
    For sure. What I find really good for transducer effects are films with earthquake like effects in. So stuff like war of worlds is ideal as the earth is moving on screen a lot and your sofa moves too.
  10. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    My God you're back :eek:

Add me to the Earthquake list :thumbsup:

Funny you mention Tron, I was over a friend's house who has a dedicated, treated batcave and it sounded awesome on the end of his Genelec HT210s. But there was one utterly crucial thing missing....no transducer. I cannot imagine going back frankly...
  11. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382

Done.

The Quake really made Tron Legacy come to life. The menacing machines felt like they were in the room with me. Tron classic got the Quake going a bit too but soundtracks certainly have improved over the years. I was surprised how good the old Tron looked and sounded. I guessed they worked on it a bit.
  12. easyshas

easyshas Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I have a Buttkicker Gamer 2 in my gaming room, its really good value for the money. Considering a another transducer for my home cinema.

I agree with the others, once you have experienced a movie with the effects of a transducer, its hard to go without it again.
  13. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Another member joins our small little club. Welcome to Got2LoveGadgets. He tells me he/she has a Q10b. Hopeful he/she will post his thoughts for the benefit of the doubters; enthusiastic delight it seems and bewilderment why more haven't joined in.

It looks like the Quake is gaining in popularity over the more well known Buttkickers.

Main Quake 10b thread is here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/subw...sound-q10b-tactile-sound-unit-xj600r-amp.html
  14. Got2LoveGadgets

Got2LoveGadgets Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello and yes im proud to join your small club with the recent purchase of the awesome Quake 10b :D I've been a home cinema enthusiast for over 15 years and have in the past heard of "shakers" but never really thought they were more then a gimmick and most of the press I read looked to agree with me. I started to look again a few weeks back at "shakers" and found some more positive reviews plus m4rky_m4kt posts and thought im going to take the plunge and give these ago! At first I looked at the buttekickers but they appear too big and power hungry for what I wanted which brought me to the quake. So I ordered one with 4 isolating feet from shakercentre. I fitted the quake using the L bracket inside my two seater couch and used my old Arcam Alpha 6 to power. My Arcam is rated at 50WRMS 4-16ohms so was a bit worried it wouldn't be powerful enough but I needn't have worried it more then does the job.
    Just to give you a quick idea of my set-up im running a 9.2 system using an Onkyo 1007 with Pioneer BDP LX52 80" motorised projection screen and a Sanyo Z2000 all speakers are Tannoy Eyris apart from the two subs which are Rel Quake (im obviously a fan of the name quake). So using a Y cable one of my sub outs was connected to my Arcam I put on Wall E and sat down with my wife. OH MY GOD :eek: we played the EVE arriving scene it nearly chucked both of us off the couch and I only had my Arcam set just over half way.
    I have had the quake for 4 days now and have tuned the system down to a more body freindly setting and I just love it im amazed at how subtle and at yet how violent this thing can be

At the moment its being feed anything below 80hz which doesn't appear to be a problem I have had no rumbles with voices ect. Im sure in time I will purchase an inline crossover please let me know if anyone can recommend one?

I really cant see myself going back to having a home cinema without one of these things :D:D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    I know I made a Wall-E Quake video demo but its not the best movie for 'feeling' the Quake. Its good if you crank up the volume but that's too high for a lot of films; unless you actually like a battering!!! Many have trod the same path before. That is, start off with too much oomph to demo a new toy and its is amazing at first but can become distracting in time. I have tuned mine right down from were I stared and its superbly integrated into the whole 5.1 experience now. Adding a crossover at 40hz will also tame it a bit more.

Some have found, myself included, that mounting the Quake directly to the internal sofa braces gives a better response. The extra mechanical amplification from the L bracket is at the expense of a sharper better defined response, IMHO of course. Since you have a 2 seater I would definitely bet that you will prefer direct mounting.

Isolation feet :smashin::smashin::smashin::smashin:

Thanks for the post :smashin:

There is no way I'd be without mine now either :D
    Last edited: May 17, 2011
  16. Got2LoveGadgets

Got2LoveGadgets Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I found that turning the bass down on the amp running the quake helped blend the unit more and after watching 4 films on the system I find the unit works really well only kicks in at what feels like appropriate times (Disney's UP worked very well). As mounting goes I looked into mounting the unit directly to the couch but due to the rather poor construct of what was a rather dear couch the bracket was the easiest and most secure way to go. Im sure in time I will experiment (as is the fun with this AV lark) but at the moment it works really well for me.

Best film so far Terminator Salvation just awesome
  17. Wull

Wull Active Member

Ratings:
    +480
    Better bump up the buttkicker list, can you add me to this please Mark. :smashin:

Tron has been for me the best shaker experience so far. I could not tell if it was the bass or the shakers going to work, my whole room was in bass heaven. I too could not live with out mine now.

Subtle is key :thumbsup:
  18. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Wouldnt be without my Quake 10B now either - it simply adds a whole new level of immersion. That said, running it at 80hz is - IMHO - definitely not the thing to be doing as it falls very much into the gimmicky "unreal" category for which transducers are famous (and incorrectly so). In my room even 50hz is too high, but funds don't justify buying the Quake amp which can set the crossover at 40hz and then eq from there.

The most important things I've found are a. Run a good sub for that seamless experience, b. Turn the gain on the transducer down and c. A lower crossover will provide a more immersive and authentic experience.

My favourites are: Tron Legacy, Terminator Salvation and The Hurt Locker :)

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums
  19. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    I have updated the first post in this thread with links to user reports by AVF members. If I have missed any please useful posts please let me know. Most of all the useful stuff can be found from this one thread
  20. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    ooops. Done... better late than never
  21. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Interestingly, my Quake 10B has just failed. No idea why as I didn't think much could go wrong with them, but it's back with the Shakecentre either for repair or replacement. When it arrives, this baby will hopefully be accompanying it: Earthquake XJ-600R Digital Amplifier :: Shaker Centre - Bass Shakers and Accessories for Flight Sim, Gaming, Pro Audio and Home Cinema

Looking forward to trying this one out, because as much as I like the Quake run off an in-line crossover, imho 50hz is too high while 25hz probably too low (if the inline is doubled up), and the ability to EQ will undoubtedly help to refine things further for the ultimate integration.
  22. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    I would be interested to know why it failed, please post back if you find out. I have no issues with mine other than the oily smell when its new.

I would also be interested to know what you think of the XJ amp and its EQ abilities. I have used one from the beginning and have not tried without. It would be interesting to know what it brings.

A tip: the gain setting is by a continuous rotating pot and there is no absolute reference on the panel to set the gain against. Once its set-up its all to easy to loose your fine tuned gain setting. Gain change is indicated by a flash of an LED, so I counted the number of flashes from max gain (indicated by continuous LED light, Min gain is not indicated) to the desired level. Using max gain as absolute ref I can always get to a previous setting by counting led flashes from max. A bit of pain during the set up phase.

Here's my EQ settings for comparison. Its for a direct mounted quake with sofa on rubber isolation feet. Signal for XJ amp is taken directly from sub out Y split and before my sub EQ EQ1.

Phase shift 0
    Subsonic off
    phase delay 20ms
    20hz +4db
    30hz +4db
    40hz 0db
    x over on and set to approx 50hz
    gain 44 >>>> 34 clicks/flashes from max (there are 78 clicks from min to max)

I had different settings for the bracket mount, boost for 20hz and cut for 30, 40hz and 40hz xover. Could be due to the resonating effect of the L bracket or my tastes changed?
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  23. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Mark, if you look at the pictures on the link I think they've changed it...
  24. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    It is the same as mine.
  25. Wull

Wull Active Member

Ratings:
    +480
    Look forward to hearing how you get on with this Smurfin. I have my crossover set to 40hz, this is unfortunatley it's lowest setting 'buttkicker amp', I feel another 10hz taken off wouldn't hurt. I remember reading 25hz being recommended setting.

By the way, where did you pick your in-line crossover up from?

p.s

'the Earthquake amp's remote will come in handy as well' :)
  26. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    I think the lowest crossover setting you'll see on any of these amps is 40hz, but the big draw for me is the ability to EQ from there. Initially I'll go with -6db @ 40hz, -3db at 30hz and keep 20hz flat - I think this will result in a more "integrated" experience.

I've got a spare inline crossover now so I'll be putting it in the classifieds shortly :) IIRC the only place to get them from is the states.

Mark - does the 600J actually come with a remote control?
  27. m4rky_m4rk

m4rky_m4rk Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Yes but its a very basic and cheap thing. As I said earlier its pita that there is no absolute indication of what the gain is set to. Which might mean you will be forever tinkering during film watching if you keep the remote too close to hand :) I found it to be only useful during set up to nudge the gain up or down a little bit from the listening position. After that I leave the gain control alone but make a note of where it is relative to max gain.

Its a while since I set mine up but I had the impression that xover and the EQ cut have different slopes.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  28. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Cheers Mark. Well it turns out my Quake isn't faulty so it's winging it's way back to me. We just moved house so I'm wondering if I did something wrong in the setup with the inline crossover :suicide:

The earthquake amp arrives at the end of this week so looking forward to having a play with it and actually having some in depth controls available :thumbsup:
  29. museumsteve

museumsteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +730
    Does anyone use any kind of shakers/kickers on proper cinema seats? I have a set of 3 which are connected by the arms (as normal) and bolted to the floor, not on a platform, so I was wondering if I would be better to look at 3 small shakers/kickers as one for each seat or one larger connected to the centre seat leg/support.
    I have an Onkyo 3008 and one sub so I still have another sub out..can I use this and save buying another amp?
  30. MrGrumpie

MrGrumpie Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,712
    Steve, a pre-out is just that, a signal but no amplification. You'll need to find some way of powering the smaller transducers (which is recommended for cinema seating), from looking at diagrams people seem to daisy chain them but I'm not entirely sure how...