1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tablet - Internet connection away from home with no hotspot

Discussion in 'Tablets' started by LizzyF, Aug 27, 2012.

1. LizzyF

LizzyF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyway to connect a Tablet to the Internet when away from home ie no wireless from my modem and where there is no wireless hotspot.

I can connect my laptop in these circumstances with a dongle but they don't seem to do one for a tablet.

Someone mentioned personal hotposts but according to the O2 shop this wouldn't do the trick.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Lizzy
  2. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Active Member

Ratings:
    +380
    Do you not have a mobile phone that can generate a WiFi hotspot ?
  3. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Are you on O2? If so surprised they didn't point you in the direction of this O2 | Mobile Broadband Pocket Hotspot | Your own personal, portable hotspot to get online, on the move.

Would allow you to connect up to 5 devices by wifi to the dongle in order to share a mobile broadband connection.

If not on O2 then the other mobile operators do similar personal hotspot dongles.
  4. LizzyF

LizzyF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No - Maplins told me something about Personal Hotspots and that you got them from a Mobile Phone shop so I went to the O2 Shop. They said it would only connect to a general hotspot. I thought this was a bit pointless and said I couldn't see tne point of that and told them I wanted to connect a Tablet to the Internet where there wasn't a hotspot and they said it couldn't be done. I will certainly follow your link

Cheers

Lizzyf
  5. LizzyF

LizzyF Member

Ratings:
    +0

No only a basic mobile phone
  6. JeffD

JeffD Active Member

Ratings:
    +555
    If you're not already with O2 then the equivalent units from the Three network are a good deal, see Mobile Broadband - Internet Dongles, Mobile Wifi & Micro SIM - Three and check out the Mifi section