Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspiria Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by The News Bot, Jan 20, 2010.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot News Supplying Robot Staff Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Reviewed by Chris McEneany, 20th January 2010
    A genuine cinematic nightmare that has bludgeoned itself in horror film history. Quite the most unsettling motion picture experience that I have ever had. A movie of intricate beauty, of devastating violence, of haunting imagery that will possibly never leave your subconscious mind. Argento has crafted the truest fairytale that cinema has ever borne witness to. He takes us places that common sense pleads we should not go to, yet the entrancing spell his magic weaves makes the journey one we find irresistible. Suspiria is a dangerous film. There is something demonic at work within it, just there behind each and every frame. The intense visuals, the pounding score that lulls, caresses and then shreds the nerves – every startling ingredient is potent and hypnotic.

Argento never made good on the promise he unleashed with Suspiria, never fulfilled his Satanic side of the bargain. The third part of The Three Mothers Trilogy was an absolute travesty … and the really sad thing is that it was probably stupid to have ever dared hope that he would reach the operatic heights that he had attained with this startling original.

Whilst this UK hi-def release is sure to cause controversy over its video transfer, its audio track is both sublime and devastating. This is no Gladiator-scale mess, folks. If you are a fan of Suspiria, then you will be amply rewarded with this transfer. It is far from perfect, but its pros far outweigh its cons. Boasting an excellent new commentary track, as well as the revealing documentary, this version of Suspiria is still not quite the definitive statement on the matter. Therefore you will want to keep hold of that 3-disc Anchor Bay edition as well.

So, turn out the lights, turn up the sound and prepare yourself for a one-way trip to Hell. This is one film that not only scares you, but scars you, too. Yes, that’s right – scars you.

Oh, you'd best warn the neighbours first!

Witch!!!!!

Read the full review...
  2. Shoka

Shoka Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Nice review Chris :thumbsup:

I've got this bad boy sitting at home waiting to be watched.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. lasereraser

lasereraser Active Member

Ratings:
    +629
    What an excellent review- I'm going to spin my copy tonight.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. pioneerman

pioneerman Member

Ratings:
    +65
    very good review chris i still have not had a chance to get this yet but i will.the first time i saw this was the image laserdisc i was blown away by the film and especially the sound as we know laserdiscs gave us better sound than dvds early on anyway.especially the likes of true lies ,heat to name a few.
    my anchor bay 3 disc of suspiria very good as it is, i like many people i was dissopointed with the sound, but the blue ray sounds as though the score is excellent.in my thread suspiria on blue ray i mentioned the whiggles sound comparison between anchor bay and the laserdisc,but it sounds as though the blue ray sort of combines the two.i dont have a hd amp/receiver yet just my old (still very good) yamaha a2 but im sure i will still be very impressed with the sound,also my projector is not hd but it still gives me a excellent picture with hd and sd so im sure i will be equally impressed with the picture.
    thanks again chris for this review.(i will put this post in my thread also,and thanks for all the comments guys.):)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. IAN P

IAN P Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    Nice, very nice. Laserdisc and LE dvd can now be retired from duty.:thumbsup:

Cheers Chris.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,574
    I'm hearing mixed things about this Blu-ray Disc, but I trust Chris' judgement enough toorder it on the basis of this.

Suspiria a 10 Chris? :rotfl: I'd give it a 9 - but what a deliciously wonderful 9 it is.

Can't wait to see this presentation.

Steve W
  7. Chris McEneany

Chris McEneany Blu-ray Reviewer

Ratings:
    +232
    No pressure then, Steve? :D

Seriously though, there is no arguing that the colour has been altered. You will either accept this or you won't. Like Halloween and Dracula before this, such changes are a divider between those who simply DEMAND the image they know and love - as they have every right to - and those who either don't mind such changes or actually, dare I say it, LIKE what they see. I still find the enormity of the transfer's palette and strenght very atmospheric - as it should be - although the heightened pinks do take a bit of getting used to.

My main complaint would be with the super-amped contrast that can, and does, play havoc with some scenes and shots. Though, once again, this is something that I am willing to live with. As I said in the review, although the Anchor Bay image is far more faithful to the film that a lot of us have grown up with, it is this one - super depth, sharper detail etc - that I will opt for in future.

And the audio side, dude ... well ... awesome. Absolutely no complaints with.

Hope you enjoy it. I, personally, think that this is a worthy upgrade.

Cheers,

Chris McEneany :devil:

PS Cliffhanger next and Che soon. But we are fast approaching Wolf Man frenzy. Can't wait!
  8. pioneerman

pioneerman Member

Ratings:
    +65
    finally got this yesterday and got to watch most of it last night except the extras,well where do i begin lets start with the sound.i was surprised how good this is they have done an excellent job with this and even though i only have dts through my amp in a word excellent.its just a pity that anchor bay didnt do this ,or maybe a faithfull stereo score.
    not much more i can say about the sound other than i was very happy with it.the picture i found excellent in places but as others have said that consistency is not throughout the film, i was compareing certain scenes with anchor bays and while the blue ray is much better(also i forgot to mention i was watching on my projector) in certain scenes on the anchor bay i found the picture much more natural with the colour and contrast, most of you know which scenes i refer to.i tried lowering the contrast and colour this didnt help with the overblown pinkness, but sometimes especially suzys face was slightley irritateing ie. the shimmering,but i much prefer the smoothness of the picture to the grain on the dvd,some of the face closeups are excellent.
    overall i was impressed, looking forward to more argento blue rays especially tenebre and deep red. :)
  9. PeteInOz

PeteInOz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: I received this disc in the mail last week!!! I have a few versions of Suspiria. A VHS version the Anchor Bay Limited edition DVD that was digitally remastered and supposedly a DTS soundtrack which you strained to hear and was not overwhelming as it should have been
    Thank God for blue ray technology. The quality is superb and the sound played thru my soundbar is as supposed to be OVERWHELMING so much as to blow you out of the room.:smashin:
    I bought this thru Ebay UK and it was shipped here to Australia within 4 days brand new and factory sealed. If you love this masterpiece as muchas i have for the last 32 years it is a must have for your blu ray collection. Buy it!! Buy it!!!:lease: