Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround sound speakers not working

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying, Setup & General Help' started by lessthantom, Jun 18, 2008.

1. lessthantom

lessthantom Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

i got given some goodmans ghc 50 surround sound speakers and sub and ive got them set up but the surround sound speakers dont work only the front right and left.

tried them rigged up to my
    Wharfedale DS-A243

also tried it rigged up to my

philips 24pw6518

and i get nothing

just wondering if anyone has any ideas

cheers
    -Tom
  2. Lion

Lion Member

Ratings:
    +114
    you need a surround sound amp. :thumbsup:
  3. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    The DVD player would have to have a full set of analogue outputs i.e. six including the sub. Sadly it only as has a pair of audio outputs (plus the SCART).

The TV set needs a pair of analogue (marked red and white or red and black - for right and left respectively) interconnects to the sub-amplifier - you won't get full 5.1 surround from this obviously. If it doesn't work on the TV inputs try the auxiliary inputs.

Perhaps the TV needs to be set up via its menus in order to provide a line level output? Worth checking.

Of course, there is the possibility that the sub-amplifier is faulty. :(

Hope this help.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  4. lessthantom

lessthantom Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info

i posted wrong when i plug into the tv i get the same 2.1 audio but ill have a play around and see what happens, but the 6 inputs seems to be a sensible thing

ill have a look at the tv menu's and what not.

ive read up and apparently i dont need a amp as it has one already built in or something, im a bit of a noob when it comes to sound, but ill look into it.

cheers for all your help
  5. Lion

Lion Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I could'nt find any info on the goodmans speakers you've got,
    I thought they might just be speakers rather than an amplified system, hence my previous post. :)
    so if the goodmans is a full system has it got any digital inputs ?
    and has the dvd player got a digital output ?
    if so that's the best way to connect them together to get full surround sound. :thumbsup:
  6. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    The sub has a full set of amplifiers built in. What it appears to lack is any form of digital input; and your DVD player doesn't have analogue outputs :( So sadly you're stuffed at the moment. But perhaps it does give you a good excuse to upgrade the player? :)