Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround sound for open plan living room

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by devo, Feb 19, 2009.

1. devo

devo Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Hi all

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm wondering what my options are for getting surround sound in an open plan living room. A normal 5.1 speaker set-up is out because of the wires and a lack of suitable places to put rear speakers, so I guess I'm relying on virtual surround sound. Being open-plan also means that I'm looking for a system that doesn't work by reflecting the sound off walls.

I've had a quick look at soundbars/surround bars/sound projectors from Yamaha, Denon and Philips and am more than happy to do some more research. I just wanted a couple of pointers as to:

1. other soundbars I should be looking at; or
    2. alternatives to a soundbar.

Thanks in advance.
  2. infrno

infrno Member

Ratings:
    +1
    without seeing the room layout it's difficult to say but why not ceiling mount the rears?
    Or alternatively get small standmounts and stick them directly behind the sofa facing towards each other?
  3. devo

devo Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do a rough drawing of the room tonight.

Where would the wires (if any) go for these? How easy is this to do?

Not sure if this would work in our room. The sofa divides the living room and the dining room so the speakers would have to be right behind it (even this might look strange) - would this sound ok for the people sitting directly in front of each speaker?

To be honest, I was pretty set on a virtual surround sound system so I wouldn't have speakers at the "back" of the room - I don't think it would look right (hopefully you'll agree when you see the room layout).
  4. harryh44

harryh44 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Devo,
    I have been doing some research along similar lines and polk audio do a good looking soundbar. :) Not sure how good it sounds as i have yet to have a demo:rolleyes:
  5. quantumAV

quantumAV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +455
  6. infrno

infrno Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Easy way is to get some small white trunking with a sticky back and run it up the wall and across the ceiling. Mounting should be relatively easy, just make sure you find a joist to stick them in.

It's not the optimum soundstage but don't forget these are surround speakers and generally only get used for effects. Whether it has a high enough WAF for you is another matter...
  7. devo

devo Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Here's the layout:

[​IMG]

I had a look at Polk Audio as well and that's definitely an option.

Regarding the Yamaha ones - do these work by bouncing the sound of walls? Not sure if that would work for me.