1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sumvision Cyclone MKV

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by talas, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mickymcd

mickymcd Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Ive got a load of hd wmv files i play them on my xbox 360 via a usb hard drive formatted as hfs+ the same files wont play the audio on my western digital v1 hd media player it shows unsupported :mad:.Will these wmv files play on the cyclone? i know ill have to format the drive to fat32? but will the cyclone play the audio? hope so ive orderd one from seller on ebay :rolleyes:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87
    WMV Files are Supported on all Realtek 1073 players including the Cyclone.:)
  3. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Spot on as i just checked myself.:)
  4. xxx

xxx Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Cheers, it was the bootup time i was most concerned about. I have a HTPC at the mo and it takes a minute or so to bootup before i start watching as as stupid as it sounds, it does put me off using it as much as i would do if it started quicker. If the sumvision only takes 10 secs then that is a massive plus!

But i see that you are talking about the adaptor. Is that the same thing as the cyclone MKV harddrive?
  5. xxx

xxx Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Ditto above - can you confirm you are talking about the sumvision mkv hard drive enclosure version?

Thanks
  6. binchie

binchie Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I am talking about the adapter, but Talas is talking about the enclosure with reference to start up speed.
    I have a couple of questions.
    1.Nowhere on the adapter box did it mention v2. But it does mention DTS and YouTube. Is it v2?

2.Also while most files play against Optical Raw audio setting, last night while watching a avi file, I had to change it to Optical LPCM to hear anything. Any idea why? I'm assuming that the audio was in a format that my Onkyo 606 couldn't decode, but you expect a decent amp to be able to decode anything the Cyclone could handle. Would you expect them to decode the same? So basically should I have it set to RAW or LPCM? Reason I ask is because the amp does not show 5.1 when connected through LPCM.
  7. tsts

tsts Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello All,

Got this player yesterday and it is just fantastic. Boots up fast and file loading is very fast and impressive.

I have a couple of questions on this though and i hopt the more knowledgeable ones in the forum will be able to help me with answers.

1. I tried to play a few "older" wmv files and it reports them as unsupported. I know for a fact that they were not creatd using wmv9 codec but has anyone else managed to play older wmv files?

2. Does anyone know if this player capable of playing BD disks if a BD-player is connected as an external drive using usb?

Thanks in advance
    TS
  8. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Yes Buddy the Enclosure MKV 2. :)
  9. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87

Yes i have a few older WMV files myself that i had ton Re-Encode But the majority where fine.
    No it wont that iam aware of as there is few software related issues..But if the firmware where ajusted it may be possible..With a Exrernal bd-rom.:)
  10. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87
    It depends on the file you where playing if it was encoded in pcm..Mp3 Or Multichannel and few other formats to.:)

Yes if you have DTS And Youtube on the box you have V2.;)
  11. sloopjb

sloopjb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I've just got my cyclone and I am VERY impressed, in fact the popcorn hour has been relegated to to bedroom because I'm sick of the various firmware issues.

I just have a small puzzle, after setting up the player to out-put a RAW signal via optical to my Yamaha amp everything is fine but when turn the Cyclone off and then on again it seems to forget the settings, DD and DTS sound works fine after the re-boot but any MP3's or stereo sound from avi files doesn't, I get silence until I enter the audio settings again and select SPDIF RAW again and then all is good again. I've tried selecting HDMI RAW via the amp and that works great even after a reboot but for some reason I loose the 24hz ability when going through the amp (the popcorn hour could do 24hz through the Yamaha)

Any Ideas would be great and I'm still impressed with this little black (hot) box

BTW it's a V2

Cheers
  12. rikkyreardon

rikkyreardon Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Hi, also just been having a play with the Sumvision MKV V2 (non enclosure cheaper version £68ish from Scan). I have been very impressed with the device and for the price it is certainly a keeper.:thumbsup:

Can somebody with the MKV Enclosure please check and see what firmware your enclousre has as my non enclosure is currently running revision:
    1073_Ver2.11_091127_MS130

this should clarify if the two devices are basically the same apart from 1 connection, no hard drive space and no fan.:clap:

Also to anybody setting this device up make sure when setting the TV format that you select 1080P 50HZ as choosing just PAL seems to default everything to 576i 50hz which would leave your TV to do the upscaling. Not sure what gives the best end result though as only just noticed this myself.:rotfl:
  13. DesG

DesG Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Anyone brave enough to flash that to a V1 and see what happens? :eek:

Cheers, Des.
  14. Sicilian

Sicilian Member

Ratings:
    +28
    My Cyclone enclosure arrived today. However I'm trying to install bittorrent and samba files, but keeps failing for some reason.

I've copied the four files to install samba & BT to the root of a usb memory stick formatted fat32.

Any ideas?
  15. Omar78

Omar78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Has anyone tried streaming BD Rips from a NAS drive to the Cyclone MKV?

my BD 1080p m2ts file stutters.. the bitrate is 35.5Mbps

no issues with 720p mkv files.

the cyclone and nas are both wired to my o2 wireless II box..

I copied the m2ts file to a usb hard drive.. and the cyclone played it back without stutter...so it is a networking issue..

i have a synology DS110j NAS
  16. pitbullmern

pitbullmern Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys first post here.

Received my cyclone mkv v2 today and must admit im very impressed with it. I dont have anything to compare it to as its my first hd media player but all is good.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info on here regarding this player, Its what made me buy it.

Going to try the networking tommorrow so may be back asking some noob questions

Thanks

Pit
  17. bluearcus

bluearcus Member

Ratings:
    +24
    The enclosure firmware version is 1073_Ver2.11_091127_GV3785_BT

IE, the same core Realtek release, but a different flavour of device / application build. Nothing is guarenteed in terms of features or hardware compatibility between the two. The SoC is the same (1073) and both systems are probably from the same OEM, but the ins and outs of the board may not be the same, and the firmware is from the same generation (hence similar performance and _some_ features), but certainly not a question of identical.

As expected really.

Regards,

Mike
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87

Yes The Enclosure is a Revision 2 Chipset Mike and has DTS Downmix Online Features and number of Revisions not implemented yet including a major `Hopefully` Large Revision of the SDK in the New year which Realtek are testing now.:)
  19. Omar78

Omar78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know if the Cyclone MKV supports NFS ?
  20. bluearcus

bluearcus Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Omar,

Yes, there's support inside the firmware of all Realtek players to allow the player to mount NFS volumes. But the front-end UI doesn't expose this ability to access NFS shares, it only provides capabilities for windows ones... so you need to get shell access and do the mount command yourself. Mounts are persistent when the player goes into 'standby' mode, which is handy.

I don't believe that NFS server (sharing the internal drive as an NFS volume) is supported, but I've not tried.

Of course, if you have the MKV and not the MKV enclosure then getting the required shell access may not be straightforward...

On that note... can someone confirm my suspicion that the telnet function is not enabled by default in the MKV?

Regards,

Mike
  21. talas

talas New Member

Ratings:
    +87

Yes mike it has been mentioned(telnet) and NFS Support to hopefully in the coming weeks after they get the new Update from Realtek in next week or so.:)
  22. Omar78

Omar78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Would someone who is using their cyclone with a nas please spare a few moments to help me..

when you browse to your nas.. and choose a film.. what Network Speed does it show? I usually get between 25000kbs - 40000kbs .. and it fluctuates..

Thanks..
  23. mickymcd

mickymcd Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Got my c:confused:yclone today just shifting all my files from one hd to another so i can format it for my files for the cyclone did someone mention it needs to be formated to a fat32 drive? if so wont that cause problems most of my files are over 7gb etc.
  24. bluearcus

bluearcus Member

Ratings:
    +24
    The kernel supports NTFS and FAT32, plus EXT3. Try NTFS if you're windows based, or EXT3 for linux types.

Regards,

Mike
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. rikkyreardon

rikkyreardon Member

Ratings:
    +23
    But the Sumvision MKV V2 (non enclosure) also has these features:
    DTS Downmix
    Online Features (Piccaso, Flickr and Youtube {although disabled})
    Samba Client

BTW you were spot on with the smooth playback, fast forwarding (upto x8) and slow motion (plus frame advance) on this player - the best I have seen by far.:thumbsup:
  26. vegasbaby

vegasbaby Member

Ratings:
    +0
  27. mickymcd

mickymcd Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I use xp on my netbook and vista home on my desktop pc currently im transfering all of my files from an external drive so i can reformat it to ntfs as fat32 wont allow large files will it? only thing that puzzles me i format a usb drive pen to ntsf on my netbook but my desktop which runs vista doesnt reconised it will i be ok formating it ntfs could it just be problem with my usb drive pen?.I wish the cyclone would accept the hfs+ format which my western digital does :eek: but loving the cyclone at the moment only tried a small wmv file through it and it plays well with sound to through hdmi :smashin: something that the wd didnt .Sorry for all the noob questions on formating guys but as most of my files are 8gig+ i need to get it run smoothly.Im not venturing into the wireless stage as yet gonna wait til the sumvision dongle is released.On another note what drive would you guys recommend me to buy it i wanted to put one inside the enclosure ? thx:smashin:

oh and happy christmas everyone
  28. Sicilian

Sicilian Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Just to let everyone know, the Cyclone Mkv enclusure will defo work with the Mvix Ultio firmware, tried and tested here.

Only thing is I cant find a download for the original sumvision cyclone firmware if you ever need it for warranty purposes. Anyone got a download link for the original Sumvision cyclone mkv enclosure firmware?
  29. Omar78

Omar78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Is the GUI the same as the stock sumvision one? Is there any benefit in flashing the Ultio firmware?

Thanks..
  30. Sicilian

Sicilian Member

Ratings:
    +28
    GUI is basically the same tbh. Haven't found any extra benefit no.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.