Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suitable wireless cable modem/router for Virgin?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Forum' started by stevedster, Apr 16, 2007.

1. stevedster

stevedster Member

Ratings:
    +45
  2. Ben

Ben Active Member

Ratings:
    +281
    I've used a Belkin router for months now & it's worked flawlessly. Haven't had to reboot it once :thumbsup:

You can get it here for £66 if you use Google Checkout at the top of the page :)
  3. Cocacola

Cocacola Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I got one for free from VM. I had arranged to have a BT line reactivated. VM phoned me the next day and gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. which included a free wireless router and a wireless USB connector:smashin:
    You can also buy a wireless router through VM.
  4. stevedster

stevedster Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Hi so did you buy it and just plug and play or were there any settings etc you had to go through? i new to this sorry if its a daft question
  5. spikeydog120

spikeydog120 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I've just got the apple airport express, And it's working great.
    It took me less than 20 minutes to setup and connect my macbook, 2 wii's and my ps3. All now wireless and the wife is't moaning about the wire's any more:clap: . It's £65 from any apple store.
  6. Cocacola

Cocacola Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I used the CD that came with the router. Fairly easy to set up. My son in law checked my security when he came to visit and said everything looked fine. You have to set up a password. I think it was fairly easy to set up.:thumbsup:
  7. ajnicho

ajnicho Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Wouldn't touch belkin with a 200ft barge pole! Had three from PC World and all went back within a month of purchasing them as they kept dropping connection. I recommend a Linksys to anyone in the market for one.
  8. bjjgann

bjjgann Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I second that completely, I bought a Belkin piece of crap from PC world on a whim without doing any proper research and it was crap. I used http://www.speed test.net and http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/ and was getting a fraction of the speeds I should be getting. I spent days playing around with settings and firmware without any joy and I remember seeing that Belkin recalled a load of crap routers because they were crap but only in the US. I took the piece of crap back and bought myself a Linksys and now see great results.

Sorry for the excessive use of crap but just posting this message bought back all the frustration.
  9. Ben

Ben Active Member

Ratings:
    +281
    Most routers have a quick installation CD. It's normally just a case of inserting the CD & following the on screen instructions, which are usually fairly user friendly. On some routers, once you've got the router working, you then have to go into the advanced settings to enable security. Again, so long as you follow the instructions, this should be fairly straightforward.

If you're happy to spend that kind of money on a router, make sure it has WPA or WPA2, rather than WEP security. The type of security that the router has should always be mentioned in the specs.

Agreed, Linksys also make decent network devices, I have a WAP & a Wireless Gaming Adapter from them. IMO, the most useful factor is that they have live web support 24/7 (I don't think it's technically 24/7, but if the UK one's closed, just log on to the US Linksys site ;))