Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suitable DVD drive lubricant

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by fallenangle, Feb 20, 2010.

1. fallenangle

fallenangle Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I've asked about this on the Xbox board but I'm getting conflicting advice from my own researches so thought I'd come here and ask if anybody knows.

Used original Xbox (Samsung) DVD drive, well known disc tray drawer sticking problem, simple enough solution: clean or replace the drive belt.; no problem. But it is also recommended that the exposed plastic gears and tray drawer runners are carefully lubricated as well.

What to use though? That's the question. Some have said a product that contains PTFE/Teflon is recommended as a persistent protector/lubricant. However they often contain other questionable substances like silcone or lithium grease, graphite and even petroleum based oils which are definitely not OK for use with many plastics. I have also come across several references online which claim PTFE/Teflon itself is not suitable for use with certain plastics (some types of polycarbonate and polystyrene).

So does anybody here know what type of lubricants the manufacturers of disc drives (any make) recommend or actually use themselves?
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  2. fallenangle

fallenangle Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I've been doing my own research and have been given confirmation of the suitability for use with plastics by the customer support for two products: Super-Lube Grease (which contains their own version of Teflon/PTFE) and Finish Line Ceramic Grease (which contains Teflon/PTFE + boron nitride).
    The latter is more widely available and probably your best bet in the UK.

Both are made with 100% synthetic oils which seems to be the essential thing when looking for plastic compatible lubricants. However none of the ones recommended or other ones I've checked up on seem to contain silicone. I've no idea whether that's significant or not but I just provide this as incidental information.

Finish Line's product, designed for racing/mountain bikes, may be too thick as is so they suggested it could be thinned to an appropriate consistency with their Finish Line Wet Lube.

They also do a Teflon/PTFE only grease which I didn't ask about but is also made with 100% synthetic oils so that might also be suitable instead of the ceramic grease. However, I'd check with them about it before purchase just to make sure.

Found a good thread on this matter in a RC model forum which may be of interest:-

Plastic Safe Grease? - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board

The important thing I've learned is to make sure the manufacturer (and preferably the product packaging too) states that it is safe to use with plastics. If you haven't had that specific confirmation assume it isn't and just don't use it.

Edit: I found another, in fact the only one said so far to be specially designed for use with plastics. Electrolube Special Plastics Grease. A UK based (made?) product and luckily the grease is supplied/available from several sources in syringe tube packaging of a suitable size/cost for this sort of DIY job.

However unlike the two other products mentioned above the info I have about it is only from the manufacturer's advertising 'blurb'. I haven't had any confirmation from them of it's suitability for this particular use. However, on the face of it it does sound ideal.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010