Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions for a child's lunchbox?

Discussion in 'Parents' Forum' started by Geege, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    I think it is time for a change in what we (my wife and I) prepare our kids for their packed lunch. From what I remember they both get about 20-30 minutes each for lunch time depending what sitting they are. Our 6 year old and 4 year old go to primary school and currently have in their lunch box:

• Sandwich (with margarine and Nutella spread)
    • A small slice of cake (usually Angel cake or similar)
    • A pot of Yoghurt
    • A drink, usually fruit juice or sugar free cordial

I've sometimes put in an Apple or Banana or similar too.

Just need some inspiration for what food to put in their lunch box, to make it varied and still healthy, without putting too much in so that they don't have time to eat it. Any ideas? What does your child have for lunch at school?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. MartinMiller

MartinMiller Member

Ratings:
    +237
    we give our kids "wraps" filled with all sorts, ham, ham and cheese etc, easy to make and healthy

martin
  3. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,880
    Your lucky to get away with Nutella...many schools including our youngest's have banned it jumping on the nut allergy bandwagon...

They actually confiscated my child's sandwich and gave her a school dinner!!! which they then had the nerve to try and charge me for (That conversation didn't go well for the school head :) )

I did ask if they were going to ban all sandwiches in light of my friend's child having a Gluten allergy...
  4. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    How about little boxes of pasta salad? Mixed with tomato, sweetcorn, cucumber, ham, cheese or whatever else you fancy? You can do with rice or couscous as well if they enjoy it.

To be honest I wouldn't put margarine with Nutella in a sandwich, I'd think Nutella on its own would be plenty enough. But like Uridium said, in my son's school, chocolate bars or sweets or crisps aren't allowed. Healthy stuff only. They're not even allowed cordial, water only (although I cheat by using flavoured water with no added sugar).
  5. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Our daughter's lunchbox is usually a sandwich, a pancake, one of those cheese string things and a yoghurt.
    And completely sugar free drinks allowed only, even 'no added sugar' can still mean a lot of natural sugars.
    Robinson's fruit shoot hydro is sugar free, if your supermarket stocks it.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  6. fizl

fizl Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    How about pitta bread, veg sticks, hummous (or other dips that they like), onigiri (shaped and flavoured sticky rice balls, can be frozen easily), wraps as already mentioned, fruit salad, cheese chunks, cherry tomatoes

I can keep going lol
  7. Sad099

Sad099 Active Member

Ratings:
    +265
    My daughter loves a brioche roll with either honey roast ham or chicken and mayo.
    we also give her a little container with mixed fruit - i.e. grapes , blueberries , strawberries etc , for a drink we give her a yoghurt drink.

we then change it to wraps with other fillings and a some sliced pears . pineapple etc and maybe a some kids choclate animal biscuits (snack pack) or cheese string / pepparami etc

basically we just try to give her variety - I usually get her to come shoping with me and choose what she wants - she's good in the sense she eats healthy so doesn't ask for junk food
    On fridays she has school dinners and has fish and chips
  8. Ivor the Engine

Ivor the Engine Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Grapes are good.
  9. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,637
    I know they are sugary but how about small packets of dried fruit if there isn't decent fresh fruit available? You could put different ones in on different days for variety.
    Sad099 has a good point about variety.
  10. njdbaxter

njdbaxter Active Member

Ratings:
    +288
    when i was young my mum made jam sandwiches a lot, but i detested jam and still do. She stopped making then for me once the teacher enquire why i had no lunch and found a huge box of mouldy jam sandwiches uner my bed :rolleyes:
  11. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    hehehe. I used to love jam sandwiches for school, particularly plum jam. :D

Some good suggestions there, thanks everyone for the advice. Any more ideas would be welcome, although I've got some good ideas now for my next shopping list.
  12. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why not ask them what they want?

My 12 year old is a very fussy eater but as he's happy to eat sausage rolls and grapes every day, that's what he gets and I try to balance his diet with the evening meal.
  13. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    I have, they say Nutella sandwiches all the time :D A bit of variation would be good and most importantly I want them to try new foods and have a varied diet.
  14. DIYlady

DIYlady Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Pork pie, mini cheeses, kiwi fruit (pre sliced), berries, mini quiches, chicken pieces or chicken satay sticks, sushi, prawns with a dip, pasta salad, scotch egg, flap jack, smoothie ....
  15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright AVForums Founder Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +6,834
    Lenny Henry (in character):
  16. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
  17. peterpan567

peterpan567 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i use to make toasts (with ham, cheese, sweetcorn), pancakes, sendwiches, baguettes (all full of ham, cheese and vegetables). I was thinking about making a pasta salad or risotto or something, but... poor kid, who would eat it cold? it must be disgusting to eat it cold.
  18. fizl

fizl Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    pasta salad is fine cold, rice I would be a little wary of unless you use ice packs etc, due to spore growth that likes to grow on rice. If well managed temp wise, rice cold is fine - the japanese do it all the time in bento boxes. Shaped sticky rice balls are easy to do, and you can coat in sesame seeds, flavour with veggies/tuna or put a little something in the middle
  19. 1jim

1jim Member

Ratings:
    +67
    It's not cold rice that's the issue as such, it's the heating it up again

If rice is not cooled quickly then spores multiply whilst it's warm, it's the reheating that releases the toxins that causes the problems
  20. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,731
  21. fizl

fizl Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    Would love to have the time to do bento like that!
  22. figoagogo

figoagogo Active Member

Ratings:
    +522
    It is my duty to prepare the kids lunches every night (for the next day) and its a PITA to keep thinking of new ideas, they mainly consist of:

Sandwich - Tuna/Cheese Spread/Cheddar Cheese/Jam/Marmalade/Honey
    Alt. to the above is a few crackers, and either cheddar cheese or "triangle" cheese spread

Fruit - Bananna/Grapes/Satsuma/Strawberries

Treat - Those yoghurt in a tube things/cheese string (ewww), Choc Biscuit/Biscuit
    +Water

They have an AM snack of a small apple or organge juice, plus one of the above snacks/treats.

Other stuff I have tried before are Sausage Rolls/Cheese and Onion Rolls etc, but they aint too healty so not give often, but they are an easy option.

It all made more difficult by the fact the each of the boys like/dis like some of the above.
  23. richard plumb

richard plumb Active Member

Ratings:
    +883
    doesn't take long to make onigiri (sticky rice balls with something inside) - just some sticky rice on some cling film, filling in the middle and roll the edges up using the clingfilm. Tuna mayo goes down a treat.
  24. fizl

fizl Active Member

Ratings:
    +465
    They freeze well too - we have tuna and broccoli onigiri in the freezer at the moment. I have an onigiri mould so I can make the traditional triangles. I can do it by hand, but its a touch messy
  25. sniffer66

sniffer66 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,206
    Lightly toasted pitta cut into fingers. Carrot and cucumber sticks. With a small pot of hummus to dip. My kids love this and have it usually twice a week