Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer won't work on pre-out connector

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by archp2008, Dec 13, 2008.

1. archp2008

archp2008 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon AVR-1708 and find that a Sony SA-W305 Active Superwoofer that works on a less expensive combo-system won't work when connected to the subwoofer pre-out connector on the Denon AVR. I am non technical. The device is rated at 50 watts per channel RMS power (Canada). It says 6 ohms, DIN for the version sold for Europe but doesn't specify for Canada. Any comments would be appreciated.
  2. alnwrd

alnwrd Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I have a cyrus cd player and use the pre-outs but I have to turn the sub volume control up high to hear it. If I connect to the tape out sockets I do not need to do this but the pre-outs allow automatic response to the amp's volume control. Have you tried disconnecting the other speakers just leaving the sub on and trying more volume on the sub to make sure that it is not working at all?
  3. Filbert

Filbert Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Has your AV Receiver been set up so it knows you have a sub?
  4. archp2008

archp2008 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I tried the sub volume up high but no effect. It "works" when hooked up as a Zone 2, but obviously not the way it's supposed to. I haven't tried unplugging the speakers. I think the problem is probably with the setup. T tried entering setup but it's not obvious what to do. I will have another look at the manual and see if I can figure it out.
  5. archp2008

archp2008 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I entered Setup and turned to Subwoofer and it already said Yes even though no sound was coming out of the subwoofer on full volume, just a loud noise when I disconnected the RCA plug. For the most part, those pages on Setup are way over my head. I find the speakers sound best when set to Surround 5.1 which is the setting I use, even though I do not have a center speaker. I have two front Klipsch speakers and two cheap surround speakers (two Philips speakers from a 260-watt all-in-one system) that I used to use, similar to a large ghetto blaster. My ears are not all that discerning to the quality of audio, and I don't detect a great difference in the sound of $50 speakers compared to $400 ones to be honest, except that the Klipsch speakers do sound somewhat cleaner. I'm hoping to pick up a Klipsch center speaker in the future. I still don't know why the subwoofer doesn't work.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  6. TeeDoubleUDee

TeeDoubleUDee Member

Ratings:
    +31
    It still sounds like a set up problem to me. Don't know the 1708 but I had a 1906 and found there were several settings that could affect the SW. Such as cross over frequency and SW level. Have you tried the auto setup (if the 1708 has such a function)? Also is the source one that you know has enough base output to trigger the SW? - some of my music doesn't! Also, does the SW itself have any controls you can experiment with?
  7. archp2008

archp2008 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had another go at it. I found that when I used the test tone it alternated between all the connected speakers and the sub woofer did sound; however changing the Cross Over Freq from 80 Hz (min) to 250 (max) had no effect - I still could hear no sound whatever from the SW. Is it possible that normal music/audio would not have any sounds below 250 Hz? With my cheap equipment I could determine the cutoff frequency by simply turning the cut-off-freq knob on the SW. Now I can turn that up to max and still hear nothing. Ditto for the Level knob If I could figure out why the test tone would make the SW work but nothing else will, l would probably have the solution. At least that rules out a bad RCA cable/connection.
  8. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky Member

Ratings:
    +46
    Try re-setting the amp to its factory defaults, then try the sub output again with the internal test tone. If it still doesnt work, but it does work on zone 2, then it sounds like your amp has the problem with main zone. Take it back to where you bought it and exchange it for another.
  9. archp2008

archp2008 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried most of the settings on the receiver, but nothing, including setting to default seems to make any noticeable difference. Some of the settings mentioned in the manual, for example SW attenuation, do not show up on the display. Others do show up which i don't see mentioned in the manual. Whatever I do, the subwoofer continues to be completely dead My son installed the system in August, and he is a distributor for the the Denon speakers. He doesn't like this subwoofer and thinks it is not compatible. He is visiting from the other side of the continent next month, so, hopefully, he will be able to somehow verify whether or not the AVR pre-out is defective and, in the unlikely event that it is, contact the Canadian dealer for me. Thanks for your efforts to help.
  10. archp2008

archp2008 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course, I mean to say that my son was a distributor of the Denon AVR's (as well as the Klipsch speakers).