Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subwoofer turning on and off during movie playback

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AndyKH, Nov 4, 2009.

1. AndyKH

AndyKH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently bought an active subwoofer (Scandyna The Ball). It features auto power off when the input signal is low with no possibility of disabling the automatic behaviour.

The sub is connected to my (also recently bought) Denon 1910 receiver - the cable from the sub is connected top the left terminal the subwoofer. The front speakers Scandyna minipods. I presently haven't got any center or surround speakers connected.
    The speaker size is set to small and the crossover is set 80 Hz on the receiver. On The Ball the crossover is set to max (140 Hz).
    Yesterday I watched a DVD where the volume level varied quite a bit, and sometimes I noticed that the sub turned off even though there was an audio signal present - and sometimes at a level where I judged it wasn't only measurable but also audible. I tried putting my ear to the sub and turning it on with the supplied remote and I could easily hear sound from the sub so it wasn't a case of the audio signal being totally devoid of low frequency content.

I then came to think about the possibility that The Ball might have problems with having only the left terminal connected. Could the lack of a signal on the right input cause the sub to turn off at too high a signal level?
    According to my knowledge using a Y-splitter shouldn't be necessary on modern subwoofers but you newer know.

Would you suggest to turn up the level on the subwoofer channel in the receiver to try to avoid reaching the turn off level of the sub (and then turn down the volume on the sub to keep the same SPL)?

I must say that I find it REALLY odd that the manufaturer just didn't set the level so low that it requires the complete absence of any kind of signal on the input before allowing the auto power off to kick in.

Thanks in advance
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    I've had this issue from time to time with the auto-off feature on my Q Acoustics 1000Si subwoofer.

What I did was increase the line output level for the sub within the amplifier's menu, then decreased the output using the controls on the sub itself.

Maybe you could try this same approach?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. AndyKH

AndyKH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the reply.

It's nice to know that increasing the level worked for you. I did try it yesterday and it helped some. However, I only upped the level by 2 dB, as I was somewhat concerned that I could reach a level where the input signal to the sub would be clipped during loud passages in a movie or just when turning up the volume listening to my favorite song.

I realize that subwoofers are different but, how much did you increase the level without experiencing clipping?

Thanks
  4. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,735
    The sub should be capable of accepting quite a wide range of input levels without clipping. It's a bit of a misconception that a sub has a volume knob, it's really an input level compensator...

If your sub keeps turning off in auto mode it's trying to tell you the input isn't set high enough (unless it's developed a fault). So turn the output on the amp up a bit more and the sub gain down and see how you get on. If you do find it starts to clip then you'll have to back it off a bit.

Dave
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. AndyKH

AndyKH Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

I actually started up Audyssey yesterday, and it actually increased the subwoofer level by 3.5 dB, and along with the dynamic EQ functionality that increases the bass a low volumes, I find that the sub doesn't turn off anymore. However... I think that Dynamic EQ is overcompensating a bit but then again I'm quite sure I didn't perform the measurements exactly as recommended, so I'll have to dig up my old camera tripod and retry the audyssey setup.