Subwoofer or Center channel first for radius r45 hd

michael_gb

Standard Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone can advise me. I-ve recently inherited 4 monitor audio radius r45hds from a friend and would like to use them to build a home theatre system on a budget. I have a Denon 2805 amp.

Can-t quite stretch to both a decent subwoofer plus a center channel that will do justice to the amp and the speakers so the question is which one should I get first? I dealer offered me a R250hd for 200 quid but would I be better off getting the sub first?

Its for both watching movies and listening to music in about equal measure.

Any thoughts

For the sub I looked at the wharfedale sw150

Personally I'd get a sub first. I reall missed my sub when it wasn't plugged while doing some mucking about but have been running without a centre for a while and not really missed it. I finally got round the dismantling my part built false wall build to install the centre and while it nice to have it back its not that big a deal

This is a tough one since the r45 speakers are only small so you will really need a sub to be able to use them for movies etc. However, I also feel that without a centre they will not give a good sound stage at front (i.e. all treble with no mids).
The r45 make OK rear speakers but not really designed to be used for front L/R etc. imho.
But weighing it all up I feel the sub should be the first thing you buy.

As someone who would probably say centre first, if you had full range speakers, I think in the case of the R45s, it should be the sub, as you're getting no sound below 120HZ at the moment.

I agree with PSM1, try to upgrade your front L&R when you've got the sub and centre. Also, try to get a good centre that will work with the eventually upgraded L&R fronts.

Another vote for the sub first, if your sitting position is central then you won't be losing much without a centre but you will be losing a lot without a sub.

Many thanks for the replies. To be honest I-d started with the center but now its fairly clear I'll get the sub first. Any suggestions. Budget around 200-300 quid. Don-t mind going second hand.

For that sort of budget it's worth looking second hand for something from BK or the lower end SVS subs.

I'm not that clued up on subs at the moment so it's worth having a look through the subwoofer forum.

For £200 you can get the BK Gemini II and I think £300 gets you the next size up. Either of these will do a fine job. I would be tempted to go for the Gemini and the £100 saved put towards a centre (hence be able to get the centre sooner!!!).

For £200 you can get the BK Gemini II and I think £300 gets you the next size up. Either of these will do a fine job. I would be tempted to go for the Gemini and the £100 saved put towards a centre (hence be able to get the centre sooner!!!).

Seconded

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom