Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stu's Bedroom/Home cinema

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by knight2000uk, Nov 11, 2011.

1. scoobynutter

scoobynutter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    nice progress
    cant wait to see the finished article
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Decided against the Pioneer, the str dg820 was getting far better reviews so have gone for one of those off good old ebay!
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  3. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Next new addition is an Acoustic Research Status 30 12" Subwoofer, its rather fierce in the bass department!
    The fun part will be finding the best spot for it, any recommendations?
    Best at the back or the front?, best place to face the subwoofer?, its an outward facing rather than down facing and it has a 0-180 degree phase switch on it.
    Room dimensions are around 13ft x 16ft
  4. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Picked a spot at the back, funnily enough the room has a sink in the corner and it fits under that nicely , its a great sounding subwoofer and packs a good punch, I was listening to V8s idling on it, oh man its great.
    And that CDM center, its a pleasant upgrade from what I have been used to, the output on it seems effortless compared to other speakers like the acoustic solutions or the warfdale diamond 3's I was given, Highly recommend it if your after a center speaker.
    Looks like another upgrade is in the works, more than tripping the contrast ratio and a delve into the 1080p ranks with a projector on here pending a deal being struck :)
    I do love my VP6121 but the downside is that it only has YPBR or VGA, the AMP has hdmi's that are not being used where I could use them if I had a HD projector so that will then go as my main picture viewer and i can switch between the XBOX and the PC plus maybe a bluray player :)
  5. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Looks like ive secured that projector :)
    Benq W5000, cant wait to try it out after the new year!
  6. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2 Member

Ratings:
    +166
    Hi Stu.

Forgot you were a member on here.

Some credit is due for GIVING you that subwoofer!!! :D

How are you going to mount the projector?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    The subwoofer is spot on dude!
    I'm thinking bailing twine and bluetack on the roof might work :D

I'm going to see how big it is first before deciding, there is a space I could put it, depends really on how the image looks at that height, had a hell of a job with the HP at that height.
  8. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2 Member

Ratings:
    +166
    I didn't enjoy the sound of the sub when I owned it because it was just too large for my room, but it was powerful enough to rattle parts of the staircase, so it will be great in your rig.

Indeed, try to avoid tilting it physically and using keystone correction as you will lose some image quality. Something I had to do with my Sanyo Z1 many moons ago, still looked OK but not as sharp as when I had it just ona table.
  9. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    LOL!
    Got the projector, screens to follow when I get chance but for now a little bit of comedy!
    [​IMG]
  10. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    LM1's are on the way for the rear speakers so i will be going about channelling the corners of the walls installing speaker wire then filling them back in :)

Stu
  11. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    More upgrades on the way a set of cherry B&W CDM1NT's purchased off AVF, I was hoping for CDM7's or 9's but these should fit the bill for the time being, I'm tired of my Acoustic solutions up front, they need help after listening to the CDM CNT-SE center on its own, so the acoustics will be needing a new home as with a set of warfdale diamond 3's!

Stu
  12. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    That's the LM1's in place, corners have been channelled out so they look a tad messy currently but not for to long, then I will have a repaint once all the damp has subsided, still a little damp on the walls but its slowly drying up so the new roof must be doing its job!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Are you planning on 7.1 eventually then? Just wondering why you put the LM1s on the rear wall instead of the side walls??

Nice to see it all coming together, looks like it's gonna be a complete B&W setup :smashin:
  14. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    My seating positions right back to the wall so made sense to put them on the back walls, amp will allow 7.1 but it could be fun channelling stuff out as there is no over roof access being a flat roof :|
    Once I've got the fronts in place if it doesn't sound right ive another set of LM1's i could put to the sides :D

Stu
  15. jiko11

jiko11 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Looking really good so far. one day ill invest in a PROJECTOR. you will love the sound of the Sony 7.1 receiver going by mine Tron in 7.1 sound so good
  16. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    In 5.1 it sounds rather nice too, that part at the beginning about the grid then the bass kicks in :D
    Cant wait to complete the system with the CDM1NT's and sit and watch tron again :)

If your after a starter projector may let my spare VP6121 go already sold my working one!, requires bulb module but they are cheap enough off ebay about £89 iirc. its not bad for a 720p native, just lacks hdmi inputs there like £50 worth of projectors but quality is quite nice through VGA and being 2000:1 contrast there not bad for a starter projector, let me know if you want a sale thread starting for it.

Stu
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  17. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    think I may incorporate one of these into the radiator cover rather than my old idea which was going to be far to costly!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On another note I've run all the front end speaker wires under the floorboards so there wont be any wires in sight :D
    Might not be a brand name speaker cable but it is quite thick, got it from wickes of all places 7.99 for 7.5m and its pretty thick stuff, not like your usual bell wire.
    Just need to get some staples for the screen as the tacks I've used don't quite keep the edges down!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  18. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    So do I go for stands or do I go for speaker brackets, what you guys reckon?
    Quite like the look of the CDM1's by the side of the screen on speaker brackets but not sure?
    [​IMG]
  19. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Brackets all the way, c'mon you know you wanna chase those walls out really! ;)
  20. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    If it were me I'd get stands... And try and make them a similar height to the centre. Also you don't have to hide the cables.
    Either way they're gonna look AWESOMEEE
  21. jiko11

jiko11 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Id go for stands! but think brackets will still look good, depends where they sound the best to you.

by the way ill leave projector on the back burner til i sort my system out!
  22. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Either way for now they will have to sit on top of the old battered acoustic solutions speakers while i recover from a spending spree!
  23. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    The remote's are multiplying, wont be long before I'll need a harmony one!
    [​IMG]

Speakers have arrived also, lovely set of CDM1NT's they are too! may be on the look out for some B&W stands soon similar height to the acoustic solutions speakers, the tweeters and mid/bass drivers line up pretty well and its a vast improvement in range compared to the acoustic solutions speakers lol!

[​IMG]
  24. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    hmm been playing with ideas now!
    Like the idea of stock B&W stands for the L/R speakers but unsure if the different heights will effect the sound at all, as the FS-CDM stands are 60cm raise, currently where they are all the midrange is in line and the tweeters floorsanders stand at about 80ish cm before the CDM1NT's start.
    Ive been told about where I am is head level though the speakers need to be a little further apart and further from the wall so they will more than likely end up corner angled out.

Been toying with putting framed movie posters in the 2 gaps either side of the screen as i have a "rainman" poster and I seem to think ive a few others too!
    Will compile a photoshop and ask your thoughs.

Stu
  25. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    [​IMG]
  26. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Hmm they look good like that, but I'm not sure about placing them actually in the corners. Might make them boomy...

What would they look like a little bit inwards?
  27. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    moved them in a bit :)
    [​IMG]
    I guess it'll be trial and error, quite like the idea of the posters filling the voids at the sides of the screen.
  28. jiko11

jiko11 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Def dont put posters either side of screen, put them on walls facing inwards, or somewhere else, your screen should be the feature on that wall with nothing else distracting your eyes from the screen. That is just my opinion, do what you like best!
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  29. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    and left a bit? haha just kidding...

At least with stands you can move them about if need be, and find where they sound best.
    I think the light up sign will look good too!
  30. knight2000uk

knight2000uk Member

Ratings:
    +78
    I guess the Rain man one could go other wall side opposite where the unforgiven poster is, just trying to use up some posters ive inherited, most of them are originals that used to be in a theatre in grimsby.
    I think there is a ghandi one in there somewhere among others lol!

I've that wall to paint again yet and the back wall where the projector is, just think it looks a little bare currently either side?

Stu